News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 590     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it -- or perhaps I've just missed it -- but this is shaping up to be a glass version of First Canadian Place. The massing of the tower and those corners are very reminiscent of FCP.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it -- or perhaps I've just missed it -- but this is shaping up to be a glass version of First Canadian Place. The massing of the tower and those corners are very reminiscent of FCP.

yes, Ive mentioned it a few times. one of the frustrating things about it besides the fact that its a box, its also a copy of a box we already have. And in addition the Murano condo towers under consruction further up Bay St also have the same notched corners! I guess its the ultimate Toronto style...

Everything has been raised again this morning. It looks like we will be able to start seeing glass from the webcam sometime this week.

The rumour is the east tower should start before the end of the year.

If we go on what we know, at the current rate the core will be topped out by the end of July at the latest. That would mean by the end of the year, the building (BA1) should be completed in a substancial way; making way for the second tower. All we really need now is news of a tenant willing to take space.

On another thought:

If the forms have been raised again today: we should be at floor 34-35 depending on your count of floor 13.

And we have 16 more floors to go!!

Somehow I am skeptical about more office towers rising in the city, especially considering the impending recession and the fact that, once all three or four towers are complete there will be sufficient class A space available.

Is the plan, however, to complete the east phase, if undertaken, in the same design as the west tower, but only slightly smaller?

p5

Somehow I am skeptical about more office towers rising in the city, especially considering the impending recession

You gotta remember the decline of the economy in Ontario is primarily in the manufacturing sector and the knowledge sectors are likely to continue to experience decent levels of growth. Couple that with the fact that more and more firms are looking to relocate in the central city.

Finally, office space, particularly blocks of contiguous space, remains very tight in the financial district.

I thought half the second tower was residential. So really we wouldn't be getting another large office tower, but a mixed-use tower.

I can't imagine living there.

Back