News   Apr 26, 2024
 581     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Are you voting strategically for Tory?

I'm voting for Tory because

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, hence my line about false majorities. I don't have the time, but if anyone is bored, please go check out how many MPs or MPPs were elected with a majority of votes cast (which in most cases, if not all, would still not be a majority of eligible electors given the low voter turnouts we suffer from).

In any case, for the love of all that is holy in the cosmos, let there be ranked balloting at the next municipal election. (And someone smite the non-believers on the provincial and federal scene)

This has been a tough campaign. I've went from supporting and volunteering for David Soknacki to being undecided after he dropped out, to the Tory Camp. Even though I feel ideologically closer to Chow, not once this election have I felt like she deserved my vote. Olivia Chow has disappointed me so much this campaign. I find her uncompromising and ideologically driven to a fault, which is in my opinion the worst thing possible for politics at the municipal level because you must work closer with planners, Councillors and communities who might not share your views. Sticking blindly to dogma and ideologues is contrarian to progress and good governance in my book as the past 4 years have shown with Ford. At every debate I've watched her in, she has stuck to blatant pandering (mothers with strollers, bulldozing whole neighborhoods) which appears fake and shallow, and I not very fond of her "alliance" with Ford at debates and her overall negative campaign attacking Tory's platform instead of promoting her own. Chow trying to instigate NIMBY-ism in regards to GO RER is also gravely disappointing.

The most important issue to me this election is transit, and while Chow has promised to go ahead with things already planned, I find her overall very weak on transit. Despite her past as the NDP's transit critic, this entire campaign, from debates to press conferences, has convinced me that Chow does not understand transit issues, policies and infrastructure. Her bus plan is misguided, misleading, unworkable and will go way above her budget, she doesn't understand the need for GO RER and is instead inciting NIMBY support against it, and her early-campaign move to support the (superior) Scarborough LRT was a populist campaign move to distance herself away from the "tax-n-spend NDPer" label. This is not the person or rationale I want planning our city's transit, even if it is currently a platform I like.

Lastly, and this has been actively discussed since yesterday on here, but Chow's opinion that 60,000 household income is enough for a family of 4 to comfortably live in the inner city tells me that she is out-of-touch with most lower-middle class families, like myself. kEiThZ is right in the other thread, whether this is absolutely true or not is besides the point, what matters is how voters perceived the candidates answer to the above question, and for me it has solidified my vote away from Chow.

As for John Tory, well I am not exceptionally fond of him, I do think he is a hard working, compromising and cooperative person, can work with both sides of council and bridge the divide the Fords have created in this city over the past 4 years and return us to normalcy. I think he will be a weak mayor and easily swayed by council, expert advice and public opinion, which is actually alright in my book. I also think Tory is the best person to have as mayor to ensure Toronto gets its fair share from the Provincial Liberals and Federal Conservatives(/Liberals after 2015). I was upset about his words on Eglinton Connects early this campaign, but he's bracktracked on that and in any case, Eglinton Connects has overwhelming support in council and won't even reach council chamber until after 2018. As for transit, I am not fond of his choice of Scarborough subway, but we'll see what happens once the EA's return. As for the rest of it, he has pledged to continue Sheppard and Finch LRTs as scheduled. SmartTrack is a horrible "plan" as conceived in this campaign, but what SmartTrack looks now and after the election I suspect will be two very different things. I think if Mayor Tory could get Metrolynx to implement aspects of SmartTrack into their GO RER plans, meaning fare integration, throughrouting and prioritization of Stouffville and Georgetown lines, and additional stations inside the 416, it would be a MASSIVE victory for Toronto transit. We would essentially be converting a 905er commuters route into a subway route that we could paint on our TTC map and deliver rapid and reliable transit to the outer Toronto suburbs, and the province will be footing most if not all of the bill! Beyond that, John Tory has been a huge advocate for the DRL for years (prior to his summer SmartTrack flipflop), and I am sure whatever preliminary DRL studies and EAs that come through council are safe with him as mayor.

This will be my first time voting in a municipal election, I am glad I've taken the time to follow the campaign (and even volunteer with candidates) and become an educated voter in the process. The above are my conclusions with little more than a week to go before election day. I'm not voting for Tory strategically, but because of the three frontrunners, Tory's mayoralty by far makes the most sense.

For reference, I did the CBC Vote Compass and my results were:
Olivia Chow - 70%
John Tory - 54%
Doug Ford - 34%

Last edited:
Not voting in this because I'm not a Toronto resident, but as of this post 3/7th of the people who will vote for Tory, nearly half, are doing so because they want the Fords out. If Tory wants a shot at a second term, he is going to have to win over his critics.

Unless a Ford decides to run again in 2018... :eek:

You know there will be a Ford on the ballot in 4 years! ;)

I don't know who I'm voting for yet. For the past few weeks I've been flip flopping between Tory and Chow. There are things I love and absolutely loathe about both candidates.

My political views are almost perfectly aligned with Chow's positions in the campaigns, however her campaign has been utterly uninspiring and she hasn't given much of a reason to vote for her. I'm unimpressed with her transit platform and I fear that she'll widen the downtown/suburban divide.

My political views are less aligned with Tory, but I do like that he has support from all across the city. I'm confident that he can bridge the divide created by Rob and Doug Ford over the past four years. I also like that he has a focus on expanding our RT system with SmartTrack. There's no doubt in my mind that SmartTrack is a bullshit plan that will never be built, but I'm somewhat confident that it will result in needed improvements to our current express rail plan. However, during the course of the campaign, Tory has: a) proven himself to be a shameless liar and b) demonstrated to me that he is incredibly reckless, with his poorly researched $8 Billion SmartTrack plan. Tory also has an incredible track record of failure in his political and business career. "Over promise and under deliver" appears to be Tory's mantra. To say that I have little faith in his leadership abilities would be an enormous understatement.

At the moment I'm leaning slightly towards Tory, but on the 27th who I vote for may come down to a coin toss. I'm sure that the job performance of either Mayor Tory or Mayor Chow would be satisfactory if either one of them were elected. I wish the best of luck to both candidates.

Last edited:
no, i'm not voting strategically for tory

i ~am~ voting strategically, though... my strategy is to vote for the candidate i think is best

some people might have the strategy of voting for whoever they think, based on incomplete and misleading polls, has the best chance of defeating doug ford

that's not, in my opinion, a strategy... but i'm not gonna argue it, as i can certainly understand the feeling

by the way, i already voted yesterday, and it wasn't for tory, ford, or chow

Back in 2000, in the United States presidential election, Al Gore had 48.38% vs. George W. Bush at 47.87%, but Al Gore lost. See link.

Ralph Nader had 2.74%. They may have thought that Ralph Nader may have been the "better" candidate for those who voted for him, but their "worst" candidate got in.

I'll be voting Ari Goldkind. You only get to vote for a mayor once every 4 years. Might as well vote for the person you actual want running things rather than leave it to the polling firms to do the voting for you.

One issue I have if I think about it for a second is that there is a total misalignment between how people decide on a Mayor and what the Mayor actually does. All the candidates are lying because they are not in a position to implement any of their campaign platform points. The primary purpose of the Mayor other than showing up and cutting ribbons is to appoint his or her colleagues to positions in the executive and committees etc. The current Mayor Ford is an utter failure in this regard because he doesn't show up for ribbon cuttings regularly and appoints people based expressly on how far away from downtown they live and how right wing their ideology.

I think Tory is the best of the major candidates as someone who would both show up to all spectrum of ribbon cuttings and put some thought and inject a sense of geographic and ideological inclusiveness into the appointment process.

I have less trust in Chow and Ford in this regard. What do you think? Talking about transit platforms etc. are great but they don't really have much to do with what the Mayor of Toronto job description is.

In my work experience, I've learned a thing or two about the way old money and new money people behave.

Old money people tend to be more humble and try to fit in with people of lower station whereas new money people tend to be self-absorbed and arrogant.

This is just my experience in the custom residential industry. This is why I completely trust John Tory to stand up for what is best for the greatest number of people and trust he would make a fine mayor who would be able to cooperate with all sorts at council to work towards a concensus. I'll gladly welcome him as mayor.

Still voting for Goldkind though.

Back