News   Apr 26, 2024
 982     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 788     0 

Apple Store

Well, if they want to stay on the same level, they could always annex some of Harry's.

There's a fire exit there but since 2QW is now assimilated into TEC I don't see why their fire exits couldn't be merged.

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 557
Apple would have had an opportunity to take the Harry Rosen space, the Samsung space, or the Uniqlo space. Each of which are some of the most visible spaces in the EC. If they don't take 2 Queen then even CF has to wonder what the hell more do they want?

The other thing you have to consider is access to offsite storage. Part of the reason Apple took the space at Yorkdale was that storage is now part of the store. The Eaton Centre store has a large stock room right off the store. That plays into the decision making too. No one wants to truck pricy stuff a longs ways down back halls in the mall.

This looks pretty temporary. It has a Queen Street facing store front, next to Eaton Centre's new signature iconic bridge. I can't see how a no name leather goods store with barely a brand and a pop up shop like build quality would get this space for the long term.

IMG_2887.JPG

It's small but it connects directly to 2 Queen West.

Also note, that while the map might not be updated, this space is designated as "vacant".

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 11.17.06 AM.png

Attachments

• IMG_2887.JPG
    IMG_2887.JPG
    845 KB · Views: 566
  • Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 11.17.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 11.17.06 AM.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
This thread has become the never ending guessing game. It's pretty obvious Apple has zero interest opening a new store in the Eaton Centre.

This looks pretty temporary. It has a Queen Street facing store front, next to Eaton Centre's new signature iconic bridge. I can't see how a no name leather goods store with barely a brand and a pop up shop like build quality would get this space for the long term.

It is a Canadian company with 20 stores in North America, Asia and Europe, so I wouldn't call it a "no-name leather goods store", but I agree that the build quality of their space is inferior.

I'm jealous.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...verfront-preview-0329-biz-20170328-story.html

ct-new-apple-store-construction-on-chicago-river-photogallery-20170328

extralarge.jpg
750x422

Lately, Apple seems to prefer to build their flagship locations in private squares. This reflects in their new name for these places as "Town Squares" rather than stores. See New York's cube or Milan's amphitheatre:

apple-milan-2.jpg

These squares aren't always obvious Apple Store locations until Apple selects them and then you go "of course!". Look at Chicago's Michigan Avenue space before:

eVHPl1H.jpg

I wonder if there's a place like this in Toronto. It's pretty clear that Apple is going into the base of The One according to what Mizrahi has hinted and what the renderings show. But would that be a flagship store? It doesn't seem big enough or architecturally iconic like they've been doing in other cities. It would have to be standalone.

My first thought is the waterfront which has plenty of virgin spaces. Then I realized. What about at the foot of Yonge? Imagine a glass cube in the plaza at Residences of the World Trade Centre. What's under that plaza?

tpvpqLE.jpg

Yonge/Dundas Square?

I don't think theres any precedent for an Apple store taking over a public square. Instead, they've been revamping poorly used private squares. Yonge Dundas Square would be a poor candidate anyway. Where would you put the iconic glass entrance? That would take away from the square's use for public events like concerts.

Commerce Court with would be a fantastic space, although it's kind of hidden. Perhaps Apple could take the lease for the main floor since CIBC will probably be leaving. They could have an entrance on King and another into the courtyard.

QfaZCzS.jpg

TD Centre would be ideal, although I'd be weary of messing with the integrity of Mies' aesthetic. Though of any company, I'd trust Apple to get it right. They've been very respectful of architectural heritage.

T93cdGx.jpg

I was just thinking of a highly visible, well used square. Kick out SDM and use the old Hard Rock location :)

Though I suspect they see the value of being located in Eaton Centre of higher import than being in a dedicated space of its own (or conversely, how low an opinion they have of YDS). Don’t blame them – the intersection is the armpit of the city.

AoD

Last edited:
I'm jealous.

I wonder if there's a place like this in Toronto. It's pretty clear that Apple is going into the base of The One according to what Mizrahi has hinted and what the renderings show. But would that be a flagship store? It doesn't seem big enough or architecturally iconic like they've been doing in other cities. It would have to be standalone.

My first thought is the waterfront which has plenty of virgin spaces. Then I realized. What about at the foot of Yonge? Imagine a glass cube in the plaza at Residences of the World Trade Centre. What's under that plaza?

If it is true about Apple's presence at 'The One', it probably would be labelled as a 'town square' location, even if the land or space isn't nearly as large as other locations around the world. Mizrahi has alluded to some of the spaces at ground level being used for public events during festive holidays. There actually is an open area (albeit, a compact one) fronting Bloor Street where the green wall was suppose to be in the original proposal, though I'm not sure if that will be used for such a thing. The only oddity I find with Apple going there is that the project is still years away, and Apple opening another location on Bloor Street is long overdue.

I've always thought the glass-box 'TD Bank' at Bay and Queen would be an awesome location for an Apple Store... in fact, it kinda even resembles the one on 5th Avenue. Shame it's just a bank (edit: nvm, there's a Starbucks!).

people-drinking-coffee-outside-starbucks-coffee-shop-in-td-canada-DFXE1F.jpg

Source: http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DFXE1F/peo...starbucks-coffee-shop-in-td-canada-DFXE1F.jpg

fifth-avenue-store.jpeg

Source: https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/fifth-avenue-store.jpeg

Back