News   Apr 24, 2024
 651     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 849     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 551     0 

Apple Store

I'd assume those aren't public squares - if so, I'd hate to see that happen in Toronto.

The last thing we need are public spaces to become glorified storefronts for Apple.

If it is true about Apple's presence at 'The One', it probably would be labelled as a 'town square' location, even if the land or space isn't nearly as large as other locations around the world. Mizrahi has alluded to some of the spaces at ground level being used for public events during festive holidays. There actually is an open area (albeit, a compact one) fronting Bloor Street where the green wall was suppose to be in the original proposal, though I'm not sure if that will be used for such a thing. The only oddity I find with Apple going there is that the project is still years away, and Apple opening another location on Bloor Street is long overdue.

I've always thought the glass-box 'TD Bank' at Bay and Queen would be an awesome location for an Apple Store... in fact, it kinda even resembles the one on 5th Avenue. Shame it's just a bank (edit: nvm, there's a Starbucks!).

people-drinking-coffee-outside-starbucks-coffee-shop-in-td-canada-DFXE1F.jpg

Source: http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DFXE1F/peo...starbucks-coffee-shop-in-td-canada-DFXE1F.jpg

fifth-avenue-store.jpeg

Source: https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/fifth-avenue-store.jpeg

Great observation! The buildings surrounding it do look like the one in New York. That would indeed be a fantastic place for an Apple Store. There's plenty of underused space in the basement. They could have a sprawling underground store all the way to the Sheraton Hotel with a small cube entrance in the plaza.

I've always thought the glass-box 'TD Bank' at Bay and Queen would be an awesome location for an Apple Store... in fact, it kinda even resembles the one on 5th Avenue. Shame it's just a bank (edit: nvm, there's a Starbucks!).

people-drinking-coffee-outside-starbucks-coffee-shop-in-td-canada-DFXE1F.jpg

Source: http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DFXE1F/peo...starbucks-coffee-shop-in-td-canada-DFXE1F.jpg

fifth-avenue-store.jpeg

Source: https://cdn.cultofmac.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/fifth-avenue-store.jpeg

TD has just renovated that location - if the Apple cube is a peon to minimalism, the new TD is one to maximalism - or just in your face loud.

https://newsroom.td.com/featured-news/view/53

BTW - that's the old 5th Ave. Apple cube - the new one has only 3 panes on a side.

AoD

Great observation! The buildings surrounding it do look like the one in New York. That would indeed be a fantastic place for an Apple Store. There's plenty of underused space in the basement. They could have a sprawling underground store all the way to the Sheraton Hotel with a small cube entrance in the plaza.

I didn't even know there was a basement.

Anyway. In an alternate reality:

Apple Store Concept.jpg

Attachments

• Apple Store Concept.jpg
    Apple Store Concept.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 938
I didn't even know there was a basement.

Anyway. In an alternate reality:

View attachment 122643

That’s awesome! The little plaza is far too small for a full Apple Store, so like Apple Fifth Avenue, it’d only be an entrance with stairs and an elevator. The basement stretches all the way from The Bay through a hallway of cheap jewelry and photocopy stores and a small food court to The Sheraton and continues on to the PATH. There would be a lot of room for a flagship Apple Store down there.

In recent years, Apple has also done some incredible stuff with older buildings in the US and parts of Europe.

Notable recent/future example is the Carnegie Library Apple Store, Washington DC:

metalocus_apple-washington_foster_06.jpg

Source: https://www.metalocus.es/sites/default/files/metalocus_apple-washington_foster_06.jpg

The Lillian Massey Building at Avenue and Bloor is the type of structure I could envision as an Apple Store (even though this would never happen), where Club Monaco is located.

1200px-Club_Monaco_003.JPG

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...lub_Monaco_003.JPG/1200px-Club_Monaco_003.JPG

I would have also said Union Station (ala, Apple Store Grand Central), but it's less realistic - and I can't think of a suitable spot for one. The one in Grand Central is... odd. It doesn't even feel like an Apple Store proper, and to me it's more along the lines of a pop-up store that so happens to be in Grand Central, but it's such a unique experience nonetheless.
Perhaps a location in the Dominion Public Building facing Yonge and Front when the future revitalization occurs? Also, I feel like the foot traffic around Yonge-Eglinton could support another store, the podium at E Condos is a grand space, but... reserved for another TD :p - maybe something on the other two corners in the future :) ... All this being said, Apple has their grounds pretty well covered as far as retail locations are concerned around the city. I think two locations for downtown is sufficient in their minds.

I would have also said Union Station (ala, Apple Store Grand Central), but it's less realistic - and I can't think of a suitable spot for one. The one in Grand Central is... odd. It doesn't even feel like an Apple Store proper, and to me it's more along the lines of a pop-up store that so happens to be in Grand Central, but it's such a unique experience nonetheless.
Perhaps a location in the Dominion Public Building facing Yonge and Front when the future revitalization occurs? Also, I feel like the foot traffic around Yonge-Eglinton could support another store, the podium at E Condos is a grand space, but... reserved for another TD :p - maybe something on the other two corners in the future :) ... All this being said, Apple has their grounds pretty well covered as far as retail locations are concerned around the city. I think two locations for downtown is sufficient in their minds.

There are some large retail spaces on the ground floor in the East wing that would fit.

AoD

I've always thought the glass-box 'TD Bank' at Bay and Queen would be an awesome location for an Apple Store... in fact, it kinda even resembles the one on 5th Avenue. Shame it's just a bank (edit: nvm, there's a Starbucks!)
That Starbucks is gone too (with the recent and atrocious renos).

Seriously beyond jealous...

I am too! The views are incredible. Is there even a stand-alone Apple store in Canada that located outside of a mall? The nicest one I’ve been to in this country is the one at Yorkdale, which is ginormous for that category of store, but pales in perspective.

...and that store is always so crowded. Even though it's 2 floors, they're tiny — smaller than the one at Eaton Centre. In retrospect, it's amazing how small they built their stores when you look at the flagships of today. Apple Rue Ste. Catherine was the first one in Canada and was built during an era when Apple only sold Macs and iPods. If I remember correctly, a good chunk of the floor space was actually dedicated to software boxes and third party printers. I can see a flagship Apple Store in Montreal on the river. There are plenty of opportunities down there, specially in the Old Port.

Back