News   Mar 18, 2024
 734     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 767     0 

Apple Store

I don't really see Yorkdale being stuffed when I go there. The store is pretty big so there's more room.

A friend just tried getting a Genius Bar appointment for an iPhone issue -- four day wait minimum after checking all GTA stores!

My wife's MacBook power cord started sparking and melting so she went to talk to some one at the Apple store but it was too busy so she just bought a new one for 100 bucks or whatever it costs. I told her to just embarrass Apple into giving her whatever she wanted for free, you know burning power cords don't make for good PR and all. So maybe overcrowded stores are some kind of corporate defense strategy.

On a brighter note her phone OS update erased the last 3 months of data on her phone. Oh Apple, we stand on guard for thee!

I've been using Apple since 1984. I've been to a Genius Bar twice -- once because of a product recall and the other time for a hardware repair. My friend is going because of a recall.

However, it does amaze me that the Genius Bar is always so full because I personally (and my family that all uses Apple and has for many years) have so few problems. On the other hand, people go for things that are often really easy to fix.

One of the features I do like about Apple stores, but that can make them busy, are the learning sessions. I've referred a number of people to the free sessions -- mainly so they'll stop asking me how to do things! They're especially good for seniors. Even the most intuitive things can be a challenge for some people.

I've been using Apple since 1984. I've been to a Genius Bar twice -- once because of a product recall and the other time for a hardware repair. My friend is going because of a recall.

However, it does amaze me that the Genius Bar is always so full because I personally (and my family that all uses Apple and has for many years) have so few problems. On the other hand, people go for things that are often really easy to fix.

One of the features I do like about Apple stores, but that can make them busy, are the learning sessions. I've referred a number of people to the free sessions -- mainly so they'll stop asking me how to do things! They're especially good for seniors. Even the most intuitive things can be a challenge for some people.

My experience with Apple mirrors yours. I have never had to visit the store for my MacBook, which I purchased in 2008 and have had no issues at all, not even with the power cable.

I have been twice for iPhone issues though, and both times I simply walked out with replacement iPhones.

My roommate on the other hand has had nothing but problems with his MacBook, but no issues at all with iPhone.

That being said, even with his issues, he has still had less problems with his Mac than he had in the past with other brands.

Oh yes, when I had to use a PC for work, I had it in for repairs a few times, as has everyone else I've known! Of course there can be lemons, but I've seen far fewer Apple lemons than PC lemons :)

There are more tech fools in the world than they can handle. A person I know went to a Genius Bar because she thought one of the speakers on her iPhone was not working. Turns out that broken speaker is actually a microphone, even though it looks almost identical to the actual speaker.

Screen shot 2015-10-22 at 3.59.00 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-10-22 at 3.59.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-10-22 at 3.59.00 PM.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 867
There are more tech fools in the world than they can handle. A person I know went to a Genius Bar because she thought one of the speakers on her iPhone was not working. Turns out that broken speaker is actually a microphone, even though it looks almost identical to the actual speaker.

View attachment 57303

I did that once (While in for another issue, so didn't completely make a fool of myself). I asked if they could look into why one of the speakers wasn't working, but they simply pointed out that the other side was the mic.

There really needs to be more Apple Stores.

There is enough demand for an expanded Eaton Centre location, along with a Yorkville flagship and a Union Station location, and perhaps a Scarborough Town Centre location, a Vaughan Mills location, and a Premium Outlets Halton Hills location as well.

Believe it or not, iPads, MacBooks, and Apple Watches are among the most popular electronics as gift items: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-tops-holiday-technology.1931095/

I'm on my third MacBook, it's just a year old. The first one (when it was called a PowerBook) lasted 5 years, the second one lasted 6 years. The average lifespan of a laptop is 3 years, so I have done well on those. I've also had a number of desktop Macs, ever since 1986's Macintosh Plus when I was a tyke (well, tyke-ish). I have a 3rd gen iPad and I'm now on my third iPhone. (4, 5s, 6s.)

It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard that data can by wiped by an iOS update… but Apple tells you to never run an update until after you've backed up. If any data's accidentally wiped, you just restore. If you don't have a backup, that's not Apple's fault.

The number of times I've needed repairs to any of my devices has been few. I dropped my first iPhone, and even though it had a plastic case on it, it still had a smashed screen due to the nature of the drop. I was handed for free a new iPhone after they transferred the data from the damaged one to the new one. That astonished me.

I have gone in for some of the training seminars, for iMovie for example. There are always things you're going to learn that may be discoverable online, but I like the seminar format where people who are experienced with the program can tell you about what they like best about it, and where they can tailor their teaching to your particular needs from the program.

Apple's recent dominance has caused them to act somewhat arrogantly from time to time of late, and decisions thy've made have been flat-out bad (the replacement program for iPhoto called Photos has created serious issues for 'power users'), but despite some annoyance from time to time, Apple has earned my loyalty. Now I just want more stores so that when I wander in, they're not quite such a zoo.

I'm on my third MacBook, it's just a year old. The first one (when it was called a PowerBook) lasted 5 years, the second one lasted 6 years. The average lifespan of a laptop is 3 years, so I have done well on those. I've also had a number of desktop Macs, ever since 1986's Macintosh Plus when I was a tyke (well, tyke-ish). I have a 3rd gen iPad and I'm now on my third iPhone. (4, 5s, 6s.)

I have a HP laptop that is 8 yrs old still runs XP fine with good temps and regular cleaning.

Apple is overrated. I like to tinker with my computer hardware, which isn't exactly easy on Apple devices.

I have a HP laptop that is 8 yrs old still runs XP fine with good temps and regular cleaning.

Apple is overrated. I like to tinker with my computer hardware, which isn't exactly easy on Apple devices.

+1

I work in broadcasting. Thousands of computers running automation systems, editing systems, on screen graphics, data collection....not one of them is an apple product.

There are two issues with the HP comment - 1. it's not your experience per se, but what's the overall general experience with HP laptops after 8 years (I'd probably trust Lenovo more than HP on that score; and HP is notorious for preloading crapware and have generally poor build quality - Dell is of course even worse) and 2. you're running XP - that's like arguing I can still run iOS 1 on a functional first gen iPod Touch from what, almost 8 years ago.

Mobile devices aren't really in a category for tinkering - Apple or otherwise. And if you want to tinker a lot, you don't buy a Mac. It's not a weakness - it's a design choice. (saying this as someone who uses i-devices and built my own PC - from scratch)

AoD

Last edited:
My MacBook Pro with Retina Display is nearing its third anniversary. However, I am planning to buy a new one next year when Apple releases a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I will sell my current one (and have its battery replaced).

It has some image retention, but not enough for Apple to replace it.

Otherwise, I am enjoying my MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Back