News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

A bigger Canada?

Seeing an interracial couple tends to stick out in your mind, so people overestimate how many there actually are.

I have no trouble believing Chinese outmarry at a low rate. In my entire extended family I can think of only two or three who have married someone outside the community.

Oriental interracial relationship is probably still the most common type though. You'll almost never seen Indian marry anyone else, for example.

Interracial relationships seem more common in Quebec than here, which is strange considering the xenophobia in Quebec and how much racial/ethnic tensions there are there.

Oriental interracial relationship is probably still the most common type though. You'll almost never seen Indian marry anyone else, for example.
Actually I I've seen Indian/White more often than Chinese/White. (although I guess those Indians could actually be Tamil or Sri Lankan or any number of other south Asians and I wouldn't know the difference).

"cultures, such as Chinese, have some of the lowest rates of intermarriage"

In Toronto I doubt that is the case. I don't think I've ever seen a white guy in Toronto not with a chinese woman!
I think a white guy with a Chinese girl is very rare. I think those women you're seeing are probably Filipinas? Two of my white friends have filipina girlfriends, the combo seems to be quite common (and filipino guys with white girls too).

Interracial marriage is still very low...

I also doubt it will increase dramatically as generations progress.

Most people naturally like to stick with their own kind, and I am one of them. There is nothing racist about it...
For many people, they need the basic things to be common to start some sort of a relationship.

The caste system for Indians only comes up now when it comes to marriage in Canada.

How do people feel about all new non-english/french speaking immigrants having oral and written examination every few years to ensure that newcomers are learning the language(s) of Canada?

Considering many White Canadians would fail the test, that's laughable...

Last edited:
Language is a tool used to communicate - right now English is the most common tool used to communicate with in Canada - but I have never favoured official languages because tools change. In fact someone that spoke english 700 years ago and someone today - would have a hard time communicating. Just because English is dominates now, does not mean that it will dominate in the future (although odds are with it for a while). Basically, let the market decide. If someone can contribute / earn a living and does not know English - to be quite honest -- I don't care. Of course, smart people know that the more tools that you have at your disposal, will give you better chance at success. If someone can come to Canada, get a job, obey the laws (i.e. don't infringe on other's rights), let them. There will of course be growing pains, but as long as we encourage entrepreneurialism and give adequate access to Education.... Canada will grow and prosper.

In fact, the dominance of English is growing.

It is now considered the second Language of India now.

Interracial marriage is still very low...

I also doubt it will increase dramatically as generations progress.

Most people naturally like to stick with their own kind, and I am one of them. There is nothing racist about it...
For many people, they need the basic things to be common to start some sort of a relationship.

The caste system for Indians only comes up now when it comes to marriage in Canada.

Considering many White Canadians would fail the test, that's laughable...

Ignorance and exclusion leads to racism.

How many white Canadians would fail that test? 1% of the white English population? How many immigrants would fail that test? Judging by my workplace, I'd say 50%.

The amount of white female/black male couples I see now is getting out of hand (call me racist, I don't care). Also white male/oriental female couples are beginning to be the norm. Curious to see what type of demographic shift will occur within the next 20-30 years. From what I observe on a daily basis, my projections estimate it will be MUCH different than today...

What percentage of interracial couples actually marry and reproduce is a stat I do not know, but i'm sure it's still very low at this present time.

Multiculturalism is fun, eh!

Last edited:
Judging by my workplace, I'd say 50%.

They fail, do we kick them out?

Likely not, have to teach them. That however means massive govt spending.

No one wants that...

The solution...

Status Quo...

Ignorance and exclusion leads to racism.

If 100,000 Canadians went into a completely foreign country, you don't think most and a great majority would stick with their own kind?? Of course there is interaction with the locals and all that.

Last edited:
In fact, the dominance of English is growing.

It is now considered the second Language of India now.

There are a few reasons why it is this way - one is of course the financial axis was located in Britain, then in the United States - but I doubt it will continue there - it is likely to move to Asia in the future (axis - meaning the centre of money flows, which brings scientists, which brings innovation)..... Because no politician in the United States wants to confront the population that they were living beyond there means, and correct the situation - the United States will likely continue to decline in the foreseeable future.

The second issue is that countries which have been colonized, and consist of multiple languages (re: India with 17+ I believe) has ended up with English being the de-facto common language.

Just because it is the way it is now, does not mean that it will be this way in the future - although it will likely be this way for a while yet.

If you go to India and look at Billboards, Signs for Stores, menus at a restaurant.

A great deal of them are in English in most of India.

That is because there is no common language. I went to an Indian concert in LA - when first invited - I said I would not understand because I did not speak the language, but was told - it was common i.e several of the Indians I was going with also would not understand the language of the concert because of different regional languages (i.e. Tamil, Hindu, etc.).

So the English is so that Indians outside of their region could understand as well as foreigners. Language is a temporal thing - it changes over time, so to can dominant languages. Mandarin is on the upswing because of the increasing economic clout of China, French is on the decline, etc. etc. etc. In fact the english language is different now than in the past.

Market forces dictate which languages are hot and which are not, no special protection should be given to languages - if they die - they die.

Market forces dictate which languages are hot and which are not, no special protection should be given to languages - if they die - they die.
That's a very cold view. I think endangered languages should be protected, especially if they are language isolates (languages with no relatives). Each language comes with its own unique culture, and its own unique way of viewing the world, it influences the way you think and act. Languages are developed over tens of thousands of years so it's very sad when a unique one dies.

That's a very cold view. I think endangered languages should be protected, especially if they are language isolates (languages with no relatives). Each language comes with its own unique culture, and its own unique way of viewing the world, it influences the way you think and act. Languages are developed over tens of thousands of years so it's very sad when a unique one dies.
Especially when the justification is for the slight convenience of a globalized economy

Back