News   Apr 26, 2024
 913     1 

832 College @ Ossington (?, 5s, ?) COMPLETE

IMG_2631.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2631.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,379
I really wish some quality Toronto architects would embrace old Toronto architecture making it new and cool like New Berlin Style. I'm calling it New Toronto Style. (Not New New Toronto Style.:p)

And yes, I'm aware there's some great examples of this style/architects working at the SFH level. But what we need to see is main street presence to enlighten the masses.

Massing profile is alright but details are what ruins this. The street level treatment resembles a generic medical centre or office park in Woodbridge.

I think it would have looked more contextual if they'd used darker red bricks. It looks so gaudy and "loud" compared to the dirty old charming buildings next to it.

It amazes me that architects exist who not only design dreck like this, but are willing to admit it. I'd be ashamed of myself if I designed that.

I do agree though that tall, narrow buildings like this would do wonders for the urbanism of places like NYCC. A bunch of badly designed narrow buildings are better than one badly designed building that takes up the whole block.

Put me in the "like" camp. It's really nice to see contextual architecture with appropriate scale. Give it 5 years and nobody will know when this was built. It's a shame about the stone on the bottom though.

Put me in the "like" camp. It's really nice to see contextual architecture with appropriate scale. Give it 5 years and nobody will know when this was built. It's a shame about the stone on the bottom though.

Really? It's obviously faux-historical. The windows are a huge giveaway, as are the scale of many elements.

I'd love to see hundreds of buildings with similar proportions across the city--midrise buildings with narrow frontages like this building on College Street. Narrow frontages can mean more variety in the city's streetscapes.

I walked by this the other day - I thought they were just doing ground floor renovations to some crappy late 80s building. Then I took a second look..

When Coffee Time was here, however, it held out the promise of having something better replace it.

That didn't happen really, and now there's no longer any promise of a better replacement left. I wish this was still a Coffee Time and that I could remain in my fool's paradise.

Back