News   Apr 26, 2024
 896     0 

832 College @ Ossington (?, 5s, ?) COMPLETE

IMG_2508.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2508.JPG
    IMG_2508.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,054
The custom-designed plaster mouldings are my favourite part. They are both functional AND they look great.

;)

If they had aligned all the arches on the top storey I might be OK with it as just a regular old crappy banal building. As it is, this thing is just AWFUL.

This actually turned out better than I expected based on the rendering. This picture doesn't really represent how much of an impact it makes on the intersection. Not a great design but honestly I would rather have buildings like this than the terrible townhouse designs that are being put up. It also isn't black brick which is a big plus.

The architecture is dreadful, but the proportions are remarkable. We have few of the tall midrises with narrow facades that were common in American cities at the turn of the 20th century. Usually, new midrise construction means one facade where there were 3-5 facades traditionally. Narrow facades can be important for interesting streetscapes from a pedestrian's perspective.

Last edited:
It was a fantastic morning for a long walk from the Annex to High Park via College St :)
l00HeQ8.jpg

Montreal is filled with this type of building--some great others rather "inspired by xxxx-ethnic roots" tacky such as this project here.
0fjOsx9.jpg

fItSlN3.jpg

Many of you will disagree with me, but I wish they'd built NYCC with hundreds of this sort of narrow frontage infill than the rubbish dreary highrise precast and glass condos above parking garages that exist there.
e9uYpM5.jpg

bYcq6t8.jpg

Haha! It's already been tagged!

Knowing the guy that did the drawings and rendering, he told me that it was their intention to try and tie in the building with it's surroundings (hence the brick) they owner wanted EIFS!

However, I believe it will settle in nicely as it's a decent, functional mid rise that's not a beige EIFS cladded monstrosity!

I hope we see more of these developments as more and more <=6 storey buildings begin to use wood construction as per the new laws in place. Are there a lot of commercial buildings that use wood construction?

I was waiting for the College car here today in the rain. It looks better wet. To be fair, it's a heck of a lot better than what was there but they tried a little *too* hard here.

JoeParez, that is one of the reasons I have to give this building a reluctant pass. I was expecting an EIFS monstrosity. This is an infill brick mid-rise with some attempts at architectural detailing however bizarre and strangely proportioned. For me that puts it in the upper 50% of structures built in the last 10 years.

Back