News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 399     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 991     1 

77 King Street (TD Centre) Revitalization

There are still a number of companies which have staff in multiple buildings which want to consolidate their space. Large vacancy is probably easier to fill than smaller vacancies... but leads to smaller vacancies elsewhere.

TD Centre to get new windows

http://www.thestar.com/business/art...fairview-to-give-td-centre-110m-facelift?bn=1

Cadillac Fairview to give TD Centre $110M facelift

Cadillac Fairview Corp. announced the launch Monday of a $110-million revitalization investment in the company’s iconic Toronto-Dominion Centre complex in downtown Toronto.

A major aspect of the project will be the replacement of all 5,676 single-pane glass windows in the 46-storey tower at 77 King St. West.

They will be replaced with thermal double panes and a roller shade system.

“The new windows and shades will enhance energy efficiency by keeping the building better insulated and will be tinted bronze to ensure consistency with the original architectural design,” the company said in a news release.

The idea is to enhance the property and tenant comfort “while at the same time maintaining the integrity and style of the original building designed by world-renowned architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe,” the company said in a news release.

Originally built in 1969, the TD Centre was downtown Toronto’s first major office development and “to this day, remains the largest office complex in Canada, home to many of the country’s premier businesses and foreign multinationals in addition to being the global headquarters of TD Bank Financial Group,” Cadillac Fairview said.

“Given the architectural and historical significance of the property, the revitalization will ensure the careful restoration and replacement of existing finishes and materials to remain true to Mies Van der Rohe’s original vision,” it said.

The 46-storey tower at 77 King West is one of five in the Toronto-Dominion Centre complex in the heart of the financial district.

The building envelope is famous for its bronze-coloured curtain wall within a matte-black painted steel frame, featuring floor to ceiling windows considered a generation ahead of its time.

“I am really excited about this initiative, as it enhances the timeless modern design that is the Toronto-Dominion Centre” said Steven Sorensen, vice-president, property management for Cadillac Fairview.

Cadillac Fairview, wholly owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, owns or co-owns and manages more than 80 properties in Canada and the United States. The office buildings and retail centres are valued at some $15 billion.

No aesthetic changes, good.

Last edited:
At first I thought removing the sculpture was deplorable, but when I walked there the other day it felt much more harmonious.

I would love to move my business there... unfortunately it's just me and my business partner!

I thought I'd take the liberty of re-posting one of drum118's pics in this thread. What an amazing restoration!

August 29:

6095824030_4976bd148b_b.jpg

77 King Revitalization
Skip navigation links
Home

About TD Centre

Sustainability

The Project

Downloads

Contact Us

tower & plaza
Tower Windows
Change is good, and as s part of our ongoing commitment to ensure 77 King Street remains at the forefront of corporate real estate, we are undertaking the replacement of all windows to make sure our properties remain efficient and environmentally friendly. To do this, the single pane windows were removed and replaced with thermal double pane windows along with the installation of a new roller shade system. All new windows are double paned Insulated Glass Units (IGUs). Panes are low-e and emit a low level of radiant energy—making them even more eco-friendly. In addition, these window panes are Argon-filled and will be tinted a bronze colour to ensure consistency with the original architectural design.

In conjunction with the window replacement, new manual roller shades called Mecho Shades will enhance the energy efficiency of the window systems on the property and provide a fresher, more modern look.

These changes will generate energy savings, improve comfort, and provide even better views. All old glass and metal frames will be recycled, in accordance with Cadillac Fairview’s Green At Work™ initiatives and LEED® Gold standards.

Plaza
The full replacement and waterproofing of the entire Toronto-Dominion Centre plaza is part of the revitalization project. It will reduce repairs caused by water damage and help to retain the building’s strength and longevity for years to come.

Probably more than a thousand bucks. The cost for paint & labour in one day is probably more than a thousand bucks.

fading won't be that fast. Compare the EY tower with the original ones and you'll see that the differences are not drastic at all.

I doubt they'll be in a rush to do so again. This has got to be costing close to a thousand bucks. This is the first time they've been painted since they were constructed, no?

I believe they've been touched up before, and I can't imagine they won't be again. After all, once you go black ...

Back