351     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.4K     5 

76 Shuter (?,15s, Northgrave Architect) COMPLETE

May 22:

Decent infill for the east end, IMO.

shuter1tw7.jpg

shuter2up5.jpg

It's totally forgettable of course, but it could have been much worse. I agree - it's a reasonable little building.

Is there anyone out there moving into this building?

It doesn't seem to be one of the favourites around here. I bought on the 12th floor and am pretty excited actually. I happen to love the area, have lived in it for 4 years now and think it's great.....just my opinion.

Actually, I'd say this one got a pretty warm reception here. (It's all relative, see.). It is a lovely area, you're right.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Is there anyone out there moving into this building?

I moved out of phase 1 in January. I liked the location of the neighbourhood but not the neighbourhood itself.

It doesn't seem to be one of the favourites around here.

Sir Novelty is right - for this forum, this building has had a free ride. I was expecting much harsher words but most people here seem pretty disinterested in this one. Personally, I'm glad to see any development in the area that brings in residents.

That area has seen its share of lacklustre residential projects in the past few years, including Jazz, Space, The Richmond, Boot 1 and 2, and several bland co-op projects to name a few. Shame, really, considering the rich history of the area. The high concentration of poverty in the neighbourhood has been an impediment to the construction of more quality (and pricey) projects – but with the recent additions of Spire and (hopefully) Glasshouse at Jarvis + Queen, things appear to be looking up. There is still tons of vacant land, historical properties, and in general loads of potential for the area – hopefully at least some of it will be realized in the next few years! With added density and residents come safer streets, a better mix of income and demographics, and an overall healthier downtown neighbourhood. One would hope at least that better design will follow.

The equipment for the control room cost alone cost hundreds of thousands. But Ed's hoping to recoup some of that back through the museum and visitor's centre.

Noticed the west face of the building today. Not anywhere near as nice, blank walls and all.

The area has become a bit of a collection of dull infill with Jazz, Boot 1&2, the Co-ops, and eventually Cooks Church and the MUC plan. It will be interesting to see how the streetscape will have changed in the area in 10 years.

Back