News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 598     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

479 Danforth Ave (@Logan, Symmetry Construction, 4s, Anna Voineskos Architects) COMPLETE

Not entirely sure it's overpriced ... "for the area." Three years ago, one merchant complained to me that his rent doubled after one year on the street. It was up to $12,000 and I pretty sure it was comparable in terms of s.f. but it was not a corner property. Some landlords have become super greedy in the area. I think it's wrecking it because we have lost diversity in clothing and shoe stores where I used to shop, Sun Valley which was a great place for finer foods, etc. Frozen yogurt is nice but it's too touristy, IMO.

Also, if anybody rents this locale for patio purposes, it ain't gonna be getting much sun.

Photo 18 May 2013

IMG_4494_1-L.jpg

Not enough gaudy faux-detailing. Maybe could use some Corinthian pillars.

This is severely ugly. And I'm (Obviously) not a fan of the architect. She designs inefficient and architecturally raunchy structures.

However, Lou's a few doors down has the best Gyros in Toronto.

I didn't realize that architects were also expected to be wedding-cake designers.

I didn't realize that architects were also expected to be wedding-cake designers.

Check out another wedding she did on Old Yonge

33wodpd.jpg

Attachments

• 33wodpd.jpg
    33wodpd.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 831
Truly bizarre how some local designers/builders continue to be so devoted with composing goofy Euro-themed historic derivatives. While actual European firms are undoubtedly world leaders in terms of cutting-edge designs that balance traditional and contemporary themes. Makes you wonder whether because it's cheaper or if these local "architects" simply have bad taste.

Truly bizarre how some local designers/builders continue to be so devoted with composing goofy Euro-themed historic derivatives. While actual European firms are undoubtedly world leaders in terms of cutting-edge designs that balance traditional and contemporary themes. Makes you wonder whether because it's cheaper or if these local "architects" simply have bad taste.

Then again, it isn't unique to Toronto. You'll find such modern-day "bad taste" flotsam everywhere--even alongside the "actual European firms" you speak of, to some degree. It's just that it's the wheat, not the chaff, that makes the international urban/design-related front pages.

Myself, if I may loosen my urban-design-insistence belt a little, I'm "open" to this from an urban-Voltairean standpoint, esp. if I turn off my brain cells re whatever may have existed here before; it's the humble Danforth, after all. As RRR said earlier in this thread, "this building isn't worth this much attention"--which may, paradoxically, be the best argument on its fait-accompli behalf. After all, the key to Jane Jacobs messy-vitality is a healthy spectrum of "not worth this much attention"--even if, as here, it may teeter on a fine line btw/"offensive" and "inoffensive".

But of course, that doesn't I'd endorse the FutureBuilder kind of philistine "ur just jealous" pro-argument, either. (And the struggles of a forum where the discerning Urban Shockers of yore have been displaced by what too often seem like urban/design/taste-uncompetent bozos who'd actually actively embrace rather than merely "accept" such architecture--whether on an Old Yonge scale, a Danforth scale, or a 40-stories-at-Queen-and-Sherbourne scale--may explain why the mods seem a little trigger-friendly these days.)

Believe it or not, it's not quite as bad up close and personal. It's not great either but, given all the stucco and Greco-Roman flourishes on Danforth, I don't *hate* it. What bugs me the most about it is that it looks like half a building: rounded on the east side and sheared flat on the west.

As for gyros, I have become quite partial to Folia Grill, on Pape between Mortimer and Cosbourn.

Believe it or not, it's not quite as bad up close and personal. It's not great either but, given all the stucco and Greco-Roman flourishes on Danforth, I don't *hate* it. What bugs me the most about it is that it looks like half a building: rounded on the east side and sheared flat on the west.

As for gyros, I have become quite partial to Folia Grill, on Pape between Mortimer and Cosbourn.

Let go of Rob Ford's crack pipe - This thing's architectural appeal is equivalent to a gyro after being digested. I've tried Folia, it's pretty meh. Lou's may be the oldest "non-chic" place on the danforth for gyros but definitely the best food.

30 June 2013: Didn't really stand out as offensive to me--just "Greek-ish" as in not modern Greek but stuck in some timewarp Greek style meets Toronto style.

ivd7.jpg

It likely reflects the developer's past--working class Greek immigrant stuck in memories of 1950s Greece?

30 June 2013: Didn't really stand out as offensive to me--just "Greek-ish" as in not modern Greek but stuck in some timewarp Greek style meets Toronto style.

ivd7.jpg

It likely reflects the developer's past--working class Greek immigrant stuck in memories of 1950s Greece?

I am grappling with why I don't hate it. Maybe I would if this were on, say, Queen W. But it's on the most Greek strip of the Danforth, where Aegean island-style stucco facades rule. I don't hear anybody bitching about that, even though to some eyes it's pretty tacky and predictable.

The thing about this building is, it's quite Italianate in its own way. I have seen similar (albeit much older) buildings in Sicily, Calabria and all over the Ionian islands, where the Venetians ruled. I have also seen this style along the west coast (a spectacular drive, BTW) of the former Yugoslavia.

I don't know the architect but I gather she is of Greek descent. I get the context of the designh, both on the Danforth and historically. So it really doesn't bug me that much although I see it almost every day. I am far more disturbed by the Shoppers Drug Mart, Bulk Barn and LCBO than this.

By the way, I note that a fish restaurant is opening in the former Wimpy's. I hope it catches on. (Haha. Catches on. Get it? ) Greek fish restaurants have died terrible deaths in MEAT MEAT MEAT Toronto.

There's no two-ways about it, it sucks. It's only slightly less offensive because they incorporated a small amount of decent brick. The windows/doors on the ground level look like they're from a 90's salvage.

Back