News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 543     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

479 Danforth Ave (@Logan, Symmetry Construction, 4s, Anna Voineskos Architects) COMPLETE

@FutureBuilder,

Take it easy. It's an online urban forum. Architectural merit will be judged. The personal attacks don't exactly help your argument either.

The 90 year old Greek ladies didn't "inherit" anything. They worked, real hard actually, invested, and ended up millionaires. I know it sucks for most of you complainers to think you'll never have even 10% of the wealth of these "old ladies", but it is what it is.

Think about it, the Greeks only started coming in large numbers in the 50's. So how would a 90 year old "inherit" property from their fathers or "great uncles"?

Maybe one day if you work really really hard, invest wisely, and make the right moves, you too will also have multi million dollar properties in prime neighbourhoods (unlikely but it doesn't hurt for you to dream).

FB, I lived in Riverdale and shopped the Danforth for 15+ years. The Yogurty building next door to this project was a Greek-themed resto that sat, gathering dust with plates on the table, that whole time. You cannot tell me that was a good use of RE investment cash. It was, however, a major impediment to the thought of 6-8 story redevelopment.

I think you need to get out of your tinted window 95 Civic pretend muscle car and actually look at the building. It's better than Fruit King, but it sure as heck isn't beautiful.

As for your life advice, thanks for that. Really appreciate it. Hahahaha....

Why don't you guys spend the $3.00 for a subway token (because none of you complainers have cars) and go to Danforth to see the progress.

The picture first posted and what is actually being built are actually quite different.

FB: cut the sneering condescension or get cut yourself.

FB, I lived in Riverdale and shopped the Danforth for 15+ years. The Yogurty building next door to this project was a Greek-themed resto that sat, gathering dust with plates on the table, that whole time. You cannot tell me that was a good use of RE investment cash. It was, however, a major impediment to the thought of 6-8 story redevelopment.

I think you need to get out of your tinted window 95 Civic pretend muscle car and actually look at the building. It's better than Fruit King, but it sure as heck isn't beautiful.

As for your life advice, thanks for that. Really appreciate it. Hahahaha....

I know the people that bought the Yogurtys building and the person that owned it before. It was absurd that they kept it closed for so long.... but they had a lot of money and could do whatever they wished even if it was ridiculous.

The biggest "impediment" to 6-8 story development are not the owners of the buildings/properties, but the yuppies/nimbies/"broke as a jokes" (as I call them).

Btw, I drive a 2011 German car (as opposed to a "Made in China" bicycle...like you).

Oh, and I know the people putting up the building at 479 Danforth.

Lmfao at the internet pseudo tough guy attitude. Anyways, sad that such sorry architecture can be designed or considered tasteful by some.

Does that explain the need for being defensive and personal?

This new building is an absolute joke though. Another shoddy attempt at a faint recreation of how Europe appeared to be. I've seen enough of these ugly building redos on Corso Italia.

I know the people that bought the Yogurtys building and the person that owned it before. It was absurd that they kept it closed for so long.... but they had a lot of money and could do whatever they wished even if it was ridiculous.

And, given the evidence of a Greek realtor and a Greek architect, the person that owned it before was an older Greek person/family that didn't need to renovate because they inherited it and it wasn't their main business/investments. Pretty much like... what I said the first time.

The biggest "impediment" to 6-8 story development are not the owners of the buildings/properties, but the yuppies/nimbies/"broke as a jokes" (as I call them).

Seriously, YOU JUST SAID THE OWNERS WERE ABSURD FOR KEEPING THE PLACE CLOSED! And then you slag a group of people that exist only in your feverish imagination as an 'impediment' to something the owners didn't want to do? Hahahaha... that's so nonsensical it's hilarious.

Btw, I drive a 2011 German car (as opposed to a "Made in China" bicycle...like you).

It's not worth the effort I'm putting in to type this, but you do realize that anonymous forums are ANONYMOUS and so folks can say they drive whatever they like, right? But, good for you, driving a Trabant. I didn't realize they were still making them -- it must be a collector's item!

And please congratulate them on making the Danforth just that much uglier, when they had an opportunity to do something so much better.

At least they didn't 'retrofit' a truly, truly ugly apartment building around the old building, like the folks at Lucky Spot/521 Danforth did. That was a hysterically bad idea (probably done without permits) which has resulted in an amazingly awful dump. But, let me guess... you know them, too, right? And the reason they did it that way had nothing to do with them being the second generation of an old Greek family persuading Mom to persuade Dad, right?

Sorry, enough. This building isn't worth this much attention.

RRR, you didn't start this dust-up, but it would be better to ignore others who troll, and especially to further engage them once a moderator has given them a warning. FB has been banned for a week. I don't want to see a resumption of hostilities from either side once he returns.

If someone is out of line, hit the triangle with the exclamation mark in it and report the post.

RRR, you didn't start this dust-up, but it would be better to ignore others who troll, and especially to further engage them once a moderator has given them a warning. FB has been banned for a week. I don't want to see a resumption of hostilities from either side once he returns.

If someone is out of line, hit the triangle with the exclamation mark in it and report the post.

Dear 42,

I truly enjoy this site. And, I'm happy to not get into arguments if I'm not provoked. I'm more than willing to let sleeping dogs lie when FB is back. But, and this is not a trivial consideration given the only reason to post here is entertainment and enlightenment, the more rigid and quickly enforced banning regime is quickly becoming tiring.

So far, I've been banned for a week, without warning or notification, for telling someone else the truth about Peepers, and now I'm being warned about defending myself. I have not engaged Peepers in any way (that I remember) since I was reinstated, and I will take heed of your warning re: FB. And yet, as long as they are general insults as opposed to specific, you seem to let Automation Gallery or Peepers or WK Lis (from the left) spew crap all the time. What's the difference between a 'general' troll/insult and a 'specific' troll/insult?

There has most definitely been a change in enforcement, if not necessarily policy. Is there a specific place the change in policy has been communicated that I have missed?

Regards,
RRR

This discussion should possibly be taking place privately, but I'm leaving it here so others can understand what's acceptable and what's not.

There's been no general announcement. We're just trying to keep the tone around here more civil, as per the UT Rules of Conduct.

There's a place for disagreement and discussion on UT, but arguments should be less personal. Let's keep the debates to the issues please (and remember, you were not the one banned here; FB was the one deciding to sneer at others). Meanwhile RRR, don't think that the other members you mention above have not been untouched by bans; they have endured the same even if you have not noticed.

If another member is out of line, hit the Report Post icon to alert the Moderators. Thanks.

At least they didn't 'retrofit' a truly, truly ugly apartment building around the old building, like the folks at Lucky Spot/521 Danforth did. That was a hysterically bad idea (probably done without permits) which has resulted in an amazingly awful dump.

That building is totally out of line, breaking all sorts of bylaws and encroaching into the lane. I talked to neighbours about it and double-checked with Paula Fletcher.

There is a lot that goes on on that stretch of the Danforth that is not controlled by little old ladies but by people far more, um, interesting. Not all things are what they seem.

Google "Prospering in Greektown despite criminal convictions in Greece" and "City looking at businessman's criminal past in Greece" and follow the yellow brick road.

It looks a bit weird, but to be honest I prefer it to the new LCBO and Shoppers accross the street. Nothing against booze and drugs, but those things are more problematic to me as stand-alone mini-boxes. At least this project is mixed-use and has a narrow frontage.

It looks a bit weird, but to be honest I prefer it to the new LCBO and Shoppers accross the street. Nothing against booze and drugs, but those things are more problematic to me as stand-alone mini-boxes. At least this project is mixed-use and has a narrow frontage.

I think those are hideous and all wrong for the street. At least we can be grateful that neither has a parking lot.

Back