News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 399     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 991     1 

400 University Ave (Re-Cladding Zurich, Quadrangle)

Unless you are demolishing the building, you would think to stay competitive in todays office market...reclading would be one of the most common procedures for a 40-50 year old bldg.

I doubt strongly that a leasing agent would be able to authorise (or want to pay for!) recladding a building. They might advise the owner that recladding would bring in more tenants or higher rents.

Yes, exactly my point!

If they persuaded the owner to reclad however, then shame on them.

I actually like this cladding, and find it quite slick looking. However, this is one of my favourite buildings in the city, and to change it from the nice brown to this is... disappointing.

Unless you are demolishing the building, you would think to stay competitive in todays office market...reclading would be one of the most common procedures for a 40-50 year old bldg.

Only if there is enough wear-and-tear on the existing building. I'd say the main problem is ageism towards older structures.

In any case, even if re-cladding is necessary, it doesn't have to be all-glass like this. Buildings don't need to be reinvented every 40-50 years.

The Zurich building is certainly more iconic and memorable than its height can explain. It's clear that they are taking something relatively unique which has aged gracefully and turning it into a carbon copy of a hundred other buildings. Sad.

Are you sure this is for recladding the whole thing, or just for replacing the existing windows? Not that that's good or anything (though I can understand, if not advocate, the impulse to make the place "less gloomy" by alleviating the existing all brown/smoked impression); but, I'd like to know more--like, are they also planning to alter the existing ribbed concrete facing? Or, Gawd help us, to completely "encase" the existing building in the name of expanded floor plates, etc?

Also keep in mind, as a possible in-house avenue to advocating against this transformation: currently, a lot of the provincial government's "cultural services" bureaucracy (including IIRC that devoted to heritage) is housed within...

PE:

Doesn't lessen the potential disaster it could be - like the job at Hudson Bay Centre made it arguably more an eyesore than it was.

AoD

Yeah but if they're going to use a window design that doesn't reflect the rest of the building's aesthetic, then this could turn out pretty ugly.

Back