News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

400 University Ave (Re-Cladding Zurich, Quadrangle)

Can someone tell me why they're always using blue green glass on new and old revamped structures? Is it for the looks or for energy saving purposes? If that's not the case why not update the windows using the same old look etc! I would be surprised if they reclad the Scotia Tower blue green to blend with all the other towers.

You'll notice that this building does not have green or blue glass, but glad with a neutral reflective UV coating on it.

Green glass is cheap, made with iron in it, so that's why it pops up on a number of buildings. Most buildings going up in the most recent few years have gone with higher quality glass (especially office buildings), and I'd say that the predominant coating of the last while has been a more neutral silvery one. When the sky is blue, that neutral reflective coating looks blue, but there are also some coatings that are specifically more blue as well, I just don't think they get used that often.

There's no reason to think that Scotia Plaza would ever reglaze with a colour that didn't match its granite cladding.

Thanks for the info, so this is what's going to be the norm for new buildings going up in Toronto ! We need some warm tone coloured buildings to blend in with these cold colour ones.

400 UNIVERSITY AVE
File Number: A1248/15TEY
Zoning CR 7.8 (c4.5; r4.8) SS1 (x2262) PA1 & CR T7.8 C4.5 R4.8 (ZPR)
Ward: Trinity
-
Legal Description:
PLAN 1 49 55 LOTS 15 & 16 PT LOTS 14 & 17 PLAN D211 LOTS 1&2 PT LOT
3 RP 448 PART 1
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To alter the existing 25 storey office building by constructing a one storey north side addition to the ground
floor which will facilitate a restaurant and associated outdoor patio.

REQUESTED VARIANCE(S) TO THE ZONING BYLAW:
Chapter 40.10.20.100.(21)(C), Bylaw 569 2013

An outdoor patio must not be greater than 30%
of the interior floor area of the premises it is associated with(127.59 m²).
In this case, the outdoor patio will be 47.6% of the interior floor area of the premises it is associated with (202.50 m²)
.http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/City Planning/Developing Toronto/Files/pdf/C/C_of_A_TEY_Agenda_May_4_2016.pdf

You'll notice that this building does not have green or blue glass, but glad with a neutral reflective UV coating on it.

Green glass is cheap, made with iron in it, so that's why it pops up on a number of buildings. Most buildings going up in the most recent few years have gone with higher quality glass (especially office buildings), and I'd say that the predominant coating of the last while has been a more neutral silvery one. When the sky is blue, that neutral reflective coating looks blue, but there are also some coatings that are specifically more blue as well, I just don't think they get used that often.

There's no reason to think that Scotia Plaza would ever reglaze with a colour that didn't match its granite cladding.

I've seen blue glass and I've seen green glass that looks exactly the same unless you stare directly at it. You can go with a darker tint but, it darkens and discolours the light permeating into the space.

Today:

zurichIMG_3469.JPG

Attachments

• zurichIMG_3469.JPG
    zurichIMG_3469.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 681

Back