News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

294 Richmond E @ Sherbourne (TLS, 6s, Sweeny &Co.) COMPLETE

While I appreciate the modern asthetic of the building and love all the glass, from the Sherbourne side of the street, it's much less successful. The scale of the building completely overwhelms the gorgeous Victorians next door, the scale is completely out of proportion and I can only hope they are planning to cover the dark grey cinderblock with something more appealing.

^ Yup. That's one thing Toronto has always been good at - devouring its history.

The fenestration suggests English bond bricklaying, a nice counterpoint to aA's current fondness for the Flemish look.

While I appreciate the modern asthetic of the building and love all the glass, from the Sherbourne side of the street, it's much less successful. The scale of the building completely overwhelms the gorgeous Victorians next door, the scale is completely out of proportion and I can only hope they are planning to cover the dark grey cinderblock with something more appealing.

I was thinking just the opposite. I like the contrast between the historic and the modern, so very 'Toronto' to me. There are strong streetwalls on both sides, which is good, and it makes sense that the building fronting the bigger street would be taller. Those overhanging wires are another issue however...

May 25

2522950276_02f03033e6_b.jpg

2522951658_aa2efbf3ab_b.jpg

Back