News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 898     0 

2024 Mississauga Mayoral Byelection Transit Plans

You know, since we're discussing the possibility of Rapid Transit on Dundas, anyone know what is going on with the Dundas BRT? It feels like we've gotten nothing but pure silence on it and the DSBRT since 2022.

As announced to much fanfare in February, GO is building their own corridor in and beside the existing CPKC tracks/corridor. No need for a bypass now.
We don't know exactly. Either Metrolinx has negotiated buying half the corridor or a long-term priority contract in exchange for building infrastructure. In the last few years the price went from under $2B to over $6B so I'd guess corridor expansion (expropriation) and purchase is on the table.

I've not quite figured out the track ownership for Bowmanville service either: I think it remains CP which is why it's a diesel service but I don't recall Metrolinx explicitely stating that. Either way, it's a CP corridor today and GO will be getting 2 dedicated tracks.

Missing Link would have given GO 3 tracks to work with allowing some express service. They've not ruled it out but I doubt if they'll be running express trains on the Milton corridor overlapping with frequent local service.
Thanks both - yes, this news story passed me by! Great news for Mississauga and Peel Region more generally.

Wait - what? What exactly happened wrt. the Missing Link or the Milton line?

To my understanding nothing has happened. What is this “ GO is building their own corridor in and beside the existing CPKC tracks/corridor” that’s being referred to?

To my understanding nothing has happened. What is this “ GO is building their own corridor in and beside the existing CPKC tracks/corridor” that’s being referred to?

Missing Link is dead. CP became much more accommodating+ to GO sharing their corridors (both for Milton and Bowmanville) after the KC acquisition emptied their bank account of cash making Missing Link unnecessary.

The big news on Milton is in Aug 2021 the feds committed to paying 50% of the 2-way all-day project, then estimated to be between $1B and $2B. Now the province estimates it'll be over $6B indicating a much much bigger scope is planned.

UT has speculated on a few different ways scope might have increased (more bridge work, GO taking corridor ownership, etc.), more frequent service intended, etc.

Thanks both - yes, this news story passed me by! Great news for Mississauga and Peel Region more generally.

The biggest transit news of 2024 so far! The best description of what is happening imo is this letter from Ontario's Transport Minister to the Federal one, asking the Feds to pay 50%. But yes, Milton TWAD is happening, if the cash is provided.

You know, since we're discussing the possibility of Rapid Transit on Dundas, anyone know what is going on with the Dundas BRT? It feels like we've gotten nothing but pure silence on it and the DSBRT since 2022.
It is moving ahead with early construction taking place this year

Surprised Councilor Carolyn Parrish is not pushing for a subway like she has wanted to see since she became a councilor, The only place for an east-west LRT to fit the city needs and that is Dundas which will not happen since it is not needed west of Mavis Rd and ML wants only an BRT from Kipling to Hamilton.

Then the current plan for a true BRT is the best you will get for decades until the Density on Dundas west of that point is there to support it as a true BRT. Anything beyond that point is an express bus. Oakville has had the BRT on Dundas close to two decades with the building of it starting in 2020, but no density on it to support it.

Hazel son would be a joke being mayor and is running on his mother's name.

Vote no for the rest being mayor.

In 2002, I called for the Hurontario LRT/Monorail. In 2005, call for 5 LRT lines and cannot find my notes where the other three were to go beside Hurontario and Dundas.

Unless anyone running for mayor is willing to invest in transit at a higher rate than today as well moving to a model split of 40/60 with the preferred opinion of 50/50 or better, transit will be a failure. Current model split is 18/72

The first big cost for transit is building the third bus garage for ebuses and having ebuses for them is $1 billion. The third garage was too been built around 2012, and here we are still talking about it with no provision to expand the system.

The second big cost is building a new terminal to handle 150,000 riders a day including GO and putting the Transitway underground for MCC. It must be on the north side of Rathburn and the LRT. Too late to put the terminal next to Hurontario and keep the Transitway underground.

Last edited:
Getting in front of the Milton Line upgrade parade seems like the most obvious political move. If it happens, you can take the credit, and if it doesn't, you can beat that hobby horse with the feds and province for the rest of your term. Promising new LRT lines that have not even been studied or contemplated as part of the RTP is preposterous crayoning on a map and comes across as deeply unserious. If they want to promise something more within the realm of the city's control and power to deliver, maybe take some notes from Brampton's success with bus service.

The planned BRT on Dundas to Kipling station is more than good enough for an east-west rapid transit line in Mississauga - anything more than that would be complete overkill. Enough with fantasy LRT ideas, never mind subways.

The planned BRT on Dundas to Kipling station is more than good enough for an east-west rapid transit line in Mississauga - anything more than that would be complete overkill. Enough with fantasy LRT ideas, never mind subways.
I guess you forgot that ML was looking at taking the Hurontario Line to Kipling during the EA as well as a Dundas yard east of Hurontario until Hydro One Kill the idea of having the Bus/LRT under their Corridor.

The plan subway extension never made sense going to Dixie Rd as the ridership wasn't there as well, forcing riders to spend extra travel time to get to it.

The blight east of Dixie could support a subway if the whole area were developed to support the density that is needed for a subway as well all the way to Hurontario come 2060-75.

A true BRT is needed from Mavis to Kipling and the express buses going west of it until the density along it as well on connecting bus routes that would support a true BRT. Only when the density exists on Dundas as well as on feeder routes in Mississauga, moving to an LRT line will take place up to Hurontario for the corridor and maybe all of Dundas.

There are several high-density projects in the works from Mavis to Kipling on Dundas now with several that have died over the last decade because of the city not willing to look at higher density there until now.

Back