331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 894     0 

2024 Mississauga Mayoral Byelection Transit Plans

SaugeenJunction

Member Bio
Reaction score
Mods, please delete if not appropriate.

I figured I’d make a thread where we can discuss transit proposals from various Mississauga Mayoral candidates, to keep other threads clean. This is the first election in multiple decades where we have more than two major candidates, so hopefully we get some great transit ideas. As of Wednesday, March 6th, 2024, candidates can register to run.

From a cursory scan, here is what I’ve found so far:

Councillor Carolyn Parrish is proposing: an “east-west” LRT (source)

Councillor Alvin Tedjo is proposing (via campaign site):
  • “Build more rapid transit solutions to improve connection between Mississauga communities and Toronto”
  • “Connect the Hurontario LRT with a brand new Dundas East LRT allowing passengers to go from City Centre to Kipling station in Toronto with ease, convenience and comfort.”
As this is only day one of the official campaign, I’m sure we will get more detailed proposals from candidates as time goes on.

Of course, let’s keep discussions civil 😉

“Connect the Hurontario LRT with a brand new Dundas East LRT allowing passengers to go from City Centre to Kipling station in Toronto with ease, convenience and comfort.”
I wonder if he has not heard the rumblings about the Milton Line... for similar (if inflated) cost, that would produce better connectivity than a Dundas LRT to Kipling to supplant the Dundas BRT.

Using what money?
  • “Build more rapid transit solutions to improve connection between Mississauga communities and Toronto”
  • “Connect the Hurontario LRT with a brand new Dundas East LRT allowing passengers to go from City Centre to Kipling station in Toronto with ease, convenience and comfort.”
Ditto, but also Metrolinx is planning a massive BRT along Dundas from Kipling all the way to Waterdown. How on earth does he expect to get this done even if money was available?

Finally I feel like he's better off just championing and support Milton expansion which I feel like would be a better use of time and money.

Former Mayor Bonnie Crombie was a proponent of the "Missing Link" to open up the Milton line. Are either of these candidates considered her portege?
Missing link isn’t needed anymore for Milton GO!

Missing link isn’t needed anymore for Milton GO!
How come... I thought the big issue was the CP ownership of the line and that it's the only way for them to cross Toronto?

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 08.25.14.png

I wonder if he has not heard the rumblings about the Milton Line... for similar (if inflated) cost, that would produce better connectivity than a Dundas LRT to Kipling to supplant the Dundas BRT.
I hate to say it but I was in Ottawa recently where a high high high level government person basically laughed when I brought up the Milton line being converted assuring me that was not happening.

The good thing about dundas is we don’t need anyone’s permission to build it.

Using what money?
Well - this the season for Ford showering money on Mississauga to keep Bonnie Crombie from making provincial inroads, so maybe there’s money somewhere?

That said - it’s not a good use of money.

Well - this the season for Ford showering money on Mississauga to keep Bonnie Crombie from making provincial inroads, so maybe there’s money somewhere?

That said - it’s not a good use of money.
There’s far worse ways to spend money but I was reminded that Omar had reached out to ford multiple times tying to make an agreement and ford had zero interest and the price keeps going up.

The person did mention Omar is likely going to run for Mississauga mayor.

How come... I thought the big issue was the CP ownership of the line and that it's the only way for them to cross Toronto?

We don't know exactly. Either Metrolinx has negotiated buying half the corridor or a long-term priority contract in exchange for building infrastructure. In the last few years the price went from under $2B to over $6B so I'd guess corridor expansion (expropriation) and purchase is on the table.

I've not quite figured out the track ownership for Bowmanville service either: I think it remains CP which is why it's a diesel service but I don't recall Metrolinx explicitely stating that. Either way, it's a CP corridor today and GO will be getting 2 dedicated tracks.

Missing Link would have given GO 3 tracks to work with allowing some express service. They've not ruled it out but I doubt if they'll be running express trains on the Milton corridor overlapping with frequent local service.

Last edited:

View attachment 546307
As announced to much fanfare in February, GO is building their own corridor in and beside the existing CPKC tracks/corridor. No need for a bypass now.

As this is only day one of the official campaign, I’m sure we will get more detailed proposals from candidates as time goes on.

Of course, let’s keep discussions civil 😉

From his time campaigning for the Liberal Leadership in Ontario, I quite like Alvin Tedjo.

Broadly progressive, bold, youthful.

That said, a cursory scan of his platform, which boasts other progressive ideas like free drop-in swimming and skating (like Toronto) and free outdoor learning/camps for kids aged 6-12 in July/August.......seems to have a big hole in it.

He's also proposing to freeze taxes at least through 2026.

Bold spending plans need to be financed by more than a wing and a prayer.

Last edited:
From his time campaigning for the Liberal Leadership in Ontario, I quite like Alvin Tedjo.

Broadly progressive, bold, youthful.

That said, a cursory scan of his platform, which boasts other progressive ideas like free drop-in swimming and skating (like Toronto) and free outdoor learning/camps for kids aged 6-12 in July/August.......seems to have a big whole in it.

He's also proposing to freeze taxes at least through 2026.

Bold spending plans needs to be financed by more than a wing and a prayer.
Seems like a potentially savvy move. 2026 is one budget away.. and he is probably banking on the fact that he needs more than the progressive vote to win. This provides a shield to defend him around being the "tax and spend" candidate, while giving him 3 budgets where he is free to raise taxes as needed.

Back