News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

2014 Municipal Election: Mississauga

Good news for Mississauga. I was planning to vote for Crombie too, but after the Hazel endorsement it seemed kinda pointless so I didn't go.
If you didn't vote, then you have no say on things until the next election, You should had voted regardless who endorse who.

Given the *yawn* landslides by which incumbent councillors won (and Carolyn Parrish is back!), maybe kicking a few Mississkeisters to the polling booth's called for.

adma:

And Matt Mahoney got in as well, continuing the family tradition. What's it with the burbs and these "hereditary" seats?

AoD

It's really just name recognition and that's it. I'm guilty of this too, my councillor (Ron Starr) got re-elected again mostly because many people (including me) didn't really know any of the other people running for the seat, and didn't think there was anything wrong with him, and his name was the most familiar name on the ballot. Also, there's no media coverage of councillor races outside of Toronto. Maybe Mississauga News covered a few of the races, but other than that nobody has any clue who many of the candidates were.

Also, it seemed many people voted Crombie solely because Hurricane Hazel endorsed her and nothing else.

It's really just name recognition and that's it. I'm guilty of this too, my councillor (Ron Starr) got re-elected again mostly because many people (including me) didn't really know any of the other people running for the seat, and didn't think there was anything wrong with him, and his name was the most familiar name on the ballot. Also, there's no media coverage of councillor races outside of Toronto. Maybe Mississauga News covered a few of the races, but other than that nobody has any clue who many of the candidates were.

Also, it seemed many people voted Crombie solely because Hurricane Hazel endorsed her and nothing else.

I think the question has more to do with children of politicians winning council seats as opposed to a decently satisfactory incumbent.

Brampton has 10 council seats and now 30% of them are held by people who first got the job mainly because their dad used to be someone. Grant Gibson is now a career politician in his own right but I remember his first election was basically "remember my dad, the guy the rec centre in our ward is named after?"....and last night Wards 2&6 returned the Whillans and Palleschi surnames to council.

To adma I ask, is it peculiar to the 905/burbs though? Are there not some hereditary seats in the city?

To adma I ask, is it peculiar to the 905/burbs though? Are there not some hereditary seats in the city?

Christin Carmichael unfortunately won in Ward 16 in Toronto. Yes, daughter of that same Carmichael.

Though I think the Tory endorsement had more to do with it than name recognition. The Tory wave was just too strong.

There are also the Holyday's in Etobicoke (though that counts as the burbs, I suppose).

To be clear, I don't have an issue of political families - what I do have an issue with are those families that basically run one after another on the same seats and lock them in for decades at a time.

AoD

If you didn't vote, then you have no say on things until the next election, You should had voted regardless who endorse who.

Yeah maybe. I voted in every federal/provincial/municipal election the past 11 years (since I became eligible to vote). Reading about Rob/Doug Ford these past few years made me lose interest. It was funny at first but lately I couldn't even bear to watch any coverage of Toronto mayoral race on the news, I always changed the channel. I know that's Toronto, not Mississauga, but still, politics just disgusts me now.

There are also the Holyday's in Etobicoke (though that counts as the burbs, I suppose).

To be clear, I don't have an issue of political families - what I do have an issue with are those families that basically run one after another on the same seats and lock them in for decades at a time.

AoD

It is weird but, I would think, the electorate does have the final say. As I said, my ward(s) in Brampton elected two of the "sons" last night but one of them got elected with only 25% (+/-) of the vote....there were just such a lot of other people running against him that this is all he needed.

Christin Carmichael unfortunately won in Ward 16 in Toronto. Yes, daughter of that same Carmichael.

Though I think the Tory endorsement had more to do with it than name recognition. The Tory wave was just too strong.

And actually, she won in a Ward *not* represented by John Carmichael. Wrong side of the street, y'know.

Though as far as "hereditary" goes, don't forget Mike Layton. (Or in a subtler case, Joe Cressy.)

And actually, she won in a Ward *not* represented by John Carmichael. Wrong side of the street, y'know.

Though as far as "hereditary" goes, don't forget Mike Layton. (Or in a subtler case, Joe Cressy.)

Adam Vaughan

To be fair to AV and ML - they don't really fit into that hereditary pattern of locking in a seat (different wards, different, non-back to back terms) within the family.

AoD

I'm glad Bonnie Crombie won - her transit plan is much more ambitious than Mahoney's was. His just seemed like a reluctant, tepid nod to transit expansion when Mississauga really needs a dramatic expansion.

Back