News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 624     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Mississauga

LOL, that aerial photograph literally, and I mean literally, shows over 200 high rise buildings, already more than most cities on North America. Probably more than half the housing in that shot is multi-family housing.

That aerial is also centered around the densest and busiest transit corridor in the 905, Hurontario, which is being upgraded to 3-4 minute frequency all day in May, and has a light rail line planned for it.

You even managed to include the older areas of Streetsville and Cooksville in there too. MCC, Hurontario Street, Cooksville, Streetsville - everything is automatically a "sprawling mess" by that standard.

200 highrises? I don't see nearly that many, and most of them are of the suburban 'slab in a park' style a la Scarborough (even in MCC).

Busy transit corridors are few and far between in this city. Recently I waited almost 40 minutes for the Derry road bus on a Saturday. I've often waited 20 minutes for many other routes as well. Please, find me any TTC bus with that kind of service. Also, the transit modal share is only 11%, unchanged over the last 20 years. With all the improvements or upgrades that were made over the years, you would think that number would have improved by now.

I don't consider Streetsville and others to be a sprawling mess, and I wish that many more former villages weren't demolished because of the road widening binge. But what about everywhere else in that photo? Defend if you want, but it's hard to deny that Mississauga is one Canada's best examples of how not to build cities (outside of Alberta of course). I really don't need to rehash the problems with suburban development, but I will say this. In recent years, the population has exceeded that of Vancouver and Winnipeg, and only NOW we talk about LRT? Only NOW we talk about nice things like city building, downtown, intensification? This should have happened a long time ago, when it could have been easily funded through development fees, and would have more impact on the growth of the city. As the main street, Hurontario could have been a little more than just another huge road with a few extra highrises. But nope, gotta keep taxes low. For someone with a 36 year mayorship, I am not impressed. But I guess it depends on how you measure success.

"To think this used to be a hayfield not long ago, we've done pretty well"
- Hazel McCallion

Last edited:
Hurontario is not been upgrade to 3-4 minute service, but downgraded.

Service is 6-8 for all 19's between Queensway and Matheson with 103 being every 10 minutes for some of 19's stops. South of the the Queensway will be 12-16 minutes for 19 with 103 making only 3 stops every 10 minutes.

There should be no route on any major road seeing more than 30 minutes service 7 days a week with a goal of 15-20. Derry is poorly service as well see very few riders outside of peak time as there nothing there to generate the ridership in the first place.

There are very few buildings over 30s tall in car city and only 2 50's at this time. There are 4 more 50s to come in the next 10 years or so, but nothing close to 60+.

There are not many true grid roads like there should be to move traffic e-w/n-s that we see traffic mess because of it.

There is no downtown and will never be one in anyone life time today with Cooksville being the closest to being one.

If one needs to keep taxes low, they have 2 choices. Cut core service or add more residents. 1 ha of low density generates $20k in property taxes while one tall tower generates $1m. If you don't want density and want the current life style, you going to have to pay 10 times plus in taxes to do so. Taxes should be base on base line of value plus size of lot and size of residential space.

Hazel has done a lot of good, but has fail in other places. If she didn't give us 11 years of no tax increases, we would have another billion or 2 in the bank today to pay for all the infrastructure that needs replace now.

Mississauga is a example of not to build a city as well how to bulldoze it and start from the ground up.

The city was to be 725,000 by 2025 and will be close to 850,000 by then since it is 749,000 now.

The city was to be 725,000 by 2025 and will be close to 850,000 by then since it is 749,000 now.

if it is 749k now that would indicate about a 1.6% annual growth since the 2011 census....that would only have to drop to around 1.3% to get 850k by 2025. If they maintain the 1.6% level it be closer to 900k......I know they are essentially out of greenfield sites for new subdivisions but the growth upward should produce the sort of numbers you are projecting.

interestingly, the growth between the 2006 and 2011 censuses was about 1.31% so if they are at 749k now, the rate of growth has actually picked up but as you move to more highrises and upward growth the line will be less straight as delivery of the new homes/residences is subject to a more elongated construction period and will be less predictable.

if it is 749k now that would indicate about a 1.6% annual growth since the 2011 census....that would only have to drop to around 1.3% to get 850k by 2025. If they maintain the 1.6% level it be closer to 900k......I know they are essentially out of greenfield sites for new subdivisions but the growth upward should produce the sort of numbers you are projecting.

interestingly, the growth between the 2006 and 2011 censuses was about 1.31% so if they are at 749k now, the rate of growth has actually picked up but as you move to more highrises and upward growth the line will be less straight as delivery of the new homes/residences is subject to a more elongated construction period and will be less predictable.

Interesting numbers. Do you have Bramptons?

I'm also wondering how much future growth will be akin to Thorncliffe/St James Town, i.e. fewer singles, more bunched-up "immigrant" families...

You even managed to include the older areas of Streetsville and Cooksville in there too.

What's with the comparison between Streetsville and Cooksville? The Hurontario and Dundas area is nothing more than an old school suburban intersection with older areas stretching for miles around it, similar to suburban Toronto.

LOL, that aerial photograph literally, and I mean literally, shows over 200 high rise buildings, already more than most cities on North America. Probably more than half the housing in that shot is multi-family housing.

That aerial is also centered around the densest and busiest transit corridor in the 905, Hurontario, which is being upgraded to 3-4 minute frequency all day in May, and has a light rail line planned for it.

You even managed to include the older areas of Streetsville and Cooksville in there too. MCC, Hurontario Street, Cooksville, Streetsville - everything is automatically a "sprawling mess" by that standard.

highrises =/= density. units per square km does.

Yonge street in York region also likely has a higher amount of riders per km than Hurontario, or at least is very close to the southern portion of Hurontario.

Thank You :)

Brampton's average annual growth rate between the 2006 and 2011 census was 3.85% (433,806 - 523,911), unlike the Drum118 comment I responded to (where he stated what the pop is today) there is no such target....but:

If the growth rate was maintained at that level, the pop today would be 586,725. That seems high and the city's own website indicates that they estimate the population to be 585k by 2016 that would imply an expected growth rate between the 2011 census and the 2016 one of 2.23%. This tapering of growth rate should be expected as the city reaches higher populations. If the tapering continues at the same rate you would see a growth rate between 2016 and 2021 very similar to those 1.3% rates in Mississauga and you would be at around 650k by 2021.

Of course these numbers are dependent one where we are now and, just as Mississauga has, it is possible that Brampton has achieved its 2016 estimated population early and may be there now or next year (I think my entire adult life there has not been population estimate for Brampton that has not been exceeded once the actual numbers are in).

Brampton's average annual growth rate between the 2006 and 2011 census was 3.85% (433,806 - 523,911), unlike the Drum118 comment I responded to (where he stated what the pop is today) there is no such target....but:

If the growth rate was maintained at that level, the pop today would be 586,725. That seems high and the city's own website indicates that they estimate the population to be 585k by 2016 that would imply an expected growth rate between the 2011 census and the 2016 one of 2.23%. This tapering of growth rate should be expected as the city reaches higher populations. If the tapering continues at the same rate you would see a growth rate between 2016 and 2021 very similar to those 1.3% rates in Mississauga and you would be at around 650k by 2021.

Of course these numbers are dependent one where we are now and, just as Mississauga has, it is possible that Brampton has achieved its 2016 estimated population early and may be there now or next year (I think my entire adult life there has not been population estimate for Brampton that has not been exceeded once the actual numbers are in).

It's funny that Peel is growing so fast, maybe faster then York? I think it's because it's cheaper imo. Mississauga homes are way less then some other places.

It's funny that Peel is growing so fast, maybe faster then York? I think it's because it's cheaper imo. Mississauga homes are way less then some other places.

Compared to Brampton, Mississauga is very expensive ;)

I think, often, people get focused on the growth rate (%).....so much was made, headlines written, at the last census about Milton's growth between 2006 and 2011 (56.5%) but the actual number of people added (30,423) pales when you compare it to places like Mississauga and Brampton (and I am sure quite a few more). Brampton actually added (between 2006 - 2011) more people than the total population (after the 56.5%) of Milton.

Whatever (to bring this back on topic), the trick for both the Peel cities and the new Mayor of Mississauga in particular is to figure out a way forward once the growth slows/stops.

Mississauga had, what, 11 years of zero tax increases (i think i read that somewhere) and now is facing a real financial challenge on the infrastructure side. Brampton never went the zero tax increase route (much to the chagrin of the population I might add....proving the masses are asses theory) and they still have a decade or so of significant growth....but they too will have to manage their future very carefully.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ahoney_crombie_in_mississauga_mayor_race.html

Poll sees tie persisting between Mahoney, Crombie in Mississauga mayor race

Forum survey finds Steve Mahoney and Bonnie Crombie remain neck-and-neck in the race to succeed Hazel McCallion.

A new poll suggests Steve Mahoney and Bonnie Crombie remain in a dead heat to replace Hazel McCallion as Mississauga mayor.

The Forum Research survey of 946 Mississauga residents conducted Thursday and Friday gave 31 per cent for Mahoney, a former member of both provincial and federal parliaments, compared to 29 per cent support for Crombie, a city councillor. That puts the two candidates within the poll’s margin of error of plus or minus 3 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Mahoney and Crombie were also neck-and-neck in a Forum poll conducted in mid-April.

“These are two strong, well-liked candidates running strong campaigns,” said Forum Research president Lorne Bozinoff, adding neither has the edge of incumbency and both are energetic, outgoing community fixtures.

“This is stacking up to be a very interesting and hard-fought campaign.”

Voters go to the polls Oct. 27.

It's refreshing to see municipal politics that hasn't turned into a circus with a crack-smoking candidate, with both leading candidates supporting all rapid transit projects in the city. It's gonna be very interesting to see who will lead Mississauga after 36 years of Hazel.

All of Toronto's candidates are pathetic, lol. It's just like the previous election. Any half-decent candidate would destroy Ford. But people will vote Ford simply because all the candidates are weak. For once, I'm glad I don't live in Toronto. Mahoney and Crombie are both way better than any of the choices that Toronto has.

Back