News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 616     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2008 Federal Election: GTA Voting Patterns

Yeah, good for Kennedy. It would have been sad had he not gotten in.

that riding was a perfect example of how personalities can have a bigger effect then party loyalties.

Its something people underestimate and I am sure many riding in Peel and Toronto would have shifted to Tories, if they were not held by popular Mp's.

I am certain Mark Holland won because of his record as being very local in Ajax, anyone else it would be Tory 100%.

Thornhill and Oak Ridges were surprises however as I said the Tories ran very strong great candidates there and won.

I'm devasted that Peggy Nash wasn't returned. Kennedy could be 'blamed' for the state of the current Liberal leadership, after all, he threw his support to Dion's camp during the last Liberal leadership race, had he thrown his support behind Bob Rae, Rae would have been Liberal leader now and had an easier time defeating Harper.

I won't be forgiving Kennedy anytime soon for unseating Peggy Nash in Parkdale-High Park. All this talk of having more women involved in politics and blah-de-blah,Kennedy could have chosen any Torontoriding in which to run, but NOOO he picks the one with a strong, popular NDP incumbent and unseats her.

I won't be forgiving Kennedy anytime soon for unseating Peggy Nash in Parkdale-High Park. All this talk of having more women involved in politics and blah-de-blah,Kennedy could have chosen any Torontoriding in which to run, but NOOO he picks the one with a strong, popular NDP incumbent and unseats her.

Peggy Nash was very well liked but it was Kennedy's personality that won him the riding.

I guess I'm not a fan of Kennedy's personality then. He definitely had name recognition but Nash was a very popular MP in the area. I am not happy in any way about her defeat.

Well it shows the NDP have to be countered back with NDP like candidates.

I am sure Kennedy and Nash are not that far apart on the political spectrum.

Yes you are right, they both would have made excellent contributions to the political climate in the same parliament - that's why it's such a shame Kennedy chose the Parkdale-High Park riding to run in. He probably would have won in any Toronto riding, he could have picked one where the conservatives were more of a threat and gone up against that, not ejected one of the few, strong and competent, already-elected NDP'ers.

He could have gone to Don Valley West and just piss of John Tory some more.

Yes you are right, they both would have made excellent contributions to the political climate in the same parliament - that's why it's such a shame Kennedy chose the Parkdale-High Park riding to run in. He probably would have won in any Toronto riding, he could have picked one where the conservatives were more of a threat and gone up against that, not ejected one of the few, strong and competent, already-elected NDP'ers.

Gerard Kennedy represented Parkdale-High Park for 10 years. He knows the local community and knows the local issues. He ran the Daily Bread food bank when it was located in the Junction. Why should he have to run somewhere other than his home riding to help out a competing party?

Some cooperation between the NDP and Liberals would be nice, but I don't see the NDP even considering not running a campaign in the dozens of ridings country-wide where doing so could enable the Liberals to win. So why should the Liberals help out the NDP?

...Kennedy could have chosen any Torontoriding in which to run, but NOOO he picks the one with a strong, popular NDP incumbent and unseats her.

Could you name a few in the 416? Most of them had Liberal incumbents already. And if you are going to suggest 905 ridings.... I would remind you that voters in those ridings actually do look at the candidates. They would have given a drubbing to any candidate who did not have roots in the community. Unseating a NDP incumbent was the best option for Kennedy.

Don Valley West ^^^^

He would be perfect in that spot.

However Kennedy really marked an end to the NDP gains in Toronto.

NDP movement in Toronto took a massive defeat this time with result in the Beaches as well.

I'm not upset that the NDP lost Parkdale-High Park, as Kennedy will be a positive. It is a shame though that he had to go up against such a good local MP, and benchwarming useless drones like Al Tonks, Joe Volpe, or Mario Silva, keep their seats. I would have liked to see Maria Minna lose, as I don't think she really deserves it that much, except that the NDP had Marilyn Churley running there, who this year was such a ATU 113 tool. Oshawa was such a heartbreak, yet again, but I fear there's too many pick-up driving, Toronto Sun reading drones there.

Scarborough Southeast, now finally rid of Tom Wappel, would have been another potential Toronto seat.

True like Omar Algabra in Mississuga Erindale is a good guy, but he was replaced with another good man. A nice battle between two good men and Omar said the race was a great tribute to the democratic process.

Another great Spectacular battle was in Brampton West.
You had two Lawyers fight it out in a immigrant dominated riding and it was one hell of a great fight. Sad that Kyle Seeback did not win, however Kania was a better guy imo.

Peter Kent was a good victory, nice to see more centrist Urban Tories get elected.

Paul Szabo in Mississauga South was a nice victory. He seems on the surface to be one of the benchwarming Liberal MP's but they guy works harder then anyone.

Dhalla is a great win, as Parm Gill is a bastard. The dirty politics of his were straight from India.

Other great wins are Bonnie Crombie over Wajid Khan :cool: The immigrant community were dancing in jubilation across Peel.

Great victory was in Oak Ridges where another centrist Tory took over a useless Liberal MP.

Another great victory was in my local Riding where Gurbax Malhi won over Stella Ambler in Bramalea Gore Malton. Stella Ambler was really trying to stealthy say to people here, "lets get rid of the Indian dominance of this area of the last 15 years." Go to hell Bitch, the dominance continues.

The consensus is that the ideal non-NDP-incumbent seat for Kennedy would have been York South-Weston, as it overlaps most of the provincial seat he *first* won in 1996, it's bedraggled enough to suit his touchy-feelyness, and Tonks is long past his sell-by date.

As for Bob Dechert: I thought he came from the Reform/Alliance realm, i.e. not exactly "Red Tory"...

wherever Bob Dechert comes from, he has changed into a different guy. I heard him speak and I doubt he was acting in a typical reformist way or else he would have lost.

Back