News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 515     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

2008 Federal Election: GTA Voting Patterns

The NDP isn't gone. They just aren't really anything provincially as they await the selection of a new leader.

I'm not 100% sure Dalton wants a 3rd term and I'd never discount Tory being our Premier in three years either. Almost everyone likes John Tory except some of the neo-cons in his own party. He just ran a bad campaign in 2007 basically.

The NDP isn't gone. They just aren't really anything provincially as they await the selection of a new leader.

I'm not 100% sure Dalton wants a 3rd term and I'd never discount Tory being our Premier in three years either. Almost everyone likes John Tory except some of the neo-cons in his own party. He just ran a bad campaign in 2007 basically.

Yeah...Tory would have made a great premier....but Dalton's a good guy too....

As for the NDP....I think they might make a comeback now that they are surging federally....

The talk about an NDP resurgence is interesting, given that they are polling lower than their 2006 election result.

Many would argue that swallowing the 'scary' Conservative image was just as much a programming effort. I think what bothers many Liberals is that it seems the sheep are looking for a new shepherd!

I completely agree with this. The Republicans like to wave the flag and divert attention by harping on prepackaged social issues that are guaranteed to mobilize voters (Bush and Gay marriage in 2004, Palin and abortion in 2008) to stop people from actually talking about the issues and/or the track record of the Republicans. We are just as pathetic as this exact same tactic has worked unbelievably well for the liberals for many years (and continues to work for the Liberals and the NDP in Toronto) as Canadians gave the Liberals a free pass, even in the face of blatant theft and corruption, by lazily lapping up the liberal propaganda that so effectively painted the Conservatives as 'scary' fascist nazis, even to the point where Canadian lap dogs cheer on command at the polling stations when liberals and NDPers vow to tax us more!!

Hate to tell ya, but every party is promising to introduce new taxes or regulations that will cost you money.

Harper wants to introduce a cap-and-trade scheme which will effectively price carbon up to $65 a tonne. Only, you won't receive any compensating cuts in taxation.

Hate to tell ya, but every party is promising to introduce new taxes or regulations that will cost you money.

Harper wants to introduce a cap-and-trade scheme which will effectively price carbon up to $65 a tonne. Only, you won't receive any compensating cuts in taxation.

Afransen is right. I am surprised nobody has called the Conservatives on this. Their plan (if they are sincere about it) will be expensive.

It helps in DVW that there's no incumbent running.

However, maps are deceptive: note that DVW's Tory polls are low density, as opposed to the overwhelmingly Liberal zones of Flemingdon and Thorncliffe (or, for that matter, the fringes of Yonge/Eglinton).

Etobicoke Centre was actually comparable in stats to DVW, and Etobicoke Lakeshore was a much narrower race (though skewed by the Iggy nomination controversy); yet it doesn't show up as markedly in the maps, because there was greater "vote parity"--no massive Thorncliffe/Flemingdon zones to skew the picture...

I don't think ANY seats in the 416 will go Conservative, but if one goes that way it will be Don Valley West which could conceivably go for some sort of red Tory.

The condos in Trinity-Spadina went Liberal last time but the NDP did respectably there. The Tories were a distant third. I think there will still be a lot of "Lakefront Liberals" this time, but the Greens are taking most of their support from former Liberal voters and the NDP and Tories might do a little better as well. I expect Olivia to win by about 6000 votes, despite the Innes campaign efforts at the sign campaign.

Sigh, the 416 once again chose to sit on the opposition benches instead of putting at least one individual in cabinet.... I guess there'll be no more transit funding for at least two years....

However there were some strong Tories elected...

Like Peter Kent who imo is likley to become the Toronto Minister instead of Jim Flaherty.

Bob Dechert in Mississauga, is a red Tory a good man, he is alright.

I am happy to see Gerard Kennedy Get elected, that was a great win.

Back