News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

2 Ossington (@ Queen, NDS Properties, 4s, SMV Architects)

What?? That lovely old building is going to be demolished? I thought for sure it would have had heritage status. Fuck sakes.

The current property looks like it has been poorly maintained and its character has been ruined.

Here's a photo:

The proximity to galleries and cafes is nice, and the CAMH redevelopment should have a new grocery store. However, the Ossington streetscape is particularly shabby. There are the many hydro wires and overhead transformers on crooked wooden poles. Unlike other streets with such features, this one has garages and the owners of such businesses usually don't seem to care about aesthetics. There are terrible conversions like the fire station which became a detox centre. CAMH often has some interesting characters spending time in front of the building.

... for crackheads!

Nice looking building though.
Haha! Good to hear the wit.

I love the details on that old building. Argg! So many ugly buildings around that area and they have to pick that one? It not like the proposal is anything special. Not offencive/not interesting--this isn't what this area needs. Not that the current state of the existing building is doing to much for the area either.

I am not seeing the worth in that old building. Forgive me all.

And as for the new building, it looks like a small medical building, very commercial and very institutional. It hardly looks like an appealing residential building, regardless of it's 'loft' ambitions (small windows?).

The old building is definitely a blight on the streetscape and it makes that part of West Queen West one of the most difficult for pedestrians.

The new building does look "Diamond-Schmitty" (love the term..lol). It's nothing spectacular, but I like it and is a massive improvement over what's there now.

Every time I pass by, there is either a new collection of tags or another section of the wall has fallen off. This thing can't be demolished soon enough.

A few hours ago on Queen St West....

I snapped the photos for my Contact 2008 entry:

Contractor types told me the owner/developer wants to take advantage of the rich kids coming down to check out the Contact 2008 photography show this month. Good stuff, eh?

The old building could make a nice reno, but black concrete brick is cheap, more money will be made, and ultimately another developer is taking advantage of a rubbish property.

The old building could make a nice reno, but black concrete brick is cheap, more money will be made, and ultimately another developer is taking advantage of a rubbish property.

I heard the building is pretty bad off inside. It's the ideal location for a new condo, looks totally respectful of its surroundings (based on images), simple and clean. Nothing wrong with a developer taking advantage of a rubbish property. That's renewal.

^Exactly what I meant. The building is filled with roaches, creepy crawly little buggers and was likely trashed by its previously doped up tennants. The owner let the building rot--on purpose? Probably.

The corner is noisy however, with bus stops, changing of gears, cars accelerating, drunks screaming, crazies howling, etc.... So perhaps artsy folk will buy here?;)

Back