News   May 08, 2024
 306     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 434     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 653     0 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tower's future up in the air as Yonge-Bloor site being sold

SPECIAL TO THE STAR

c3979b5e4c62817cc88ff4ef1314.jpeg

Developer Michael Gold, far left, is selling his property at Yonge and Bloor Sts. Email story

Jul 22, 2009 04:30 AM
Kevin Donovan
Staff Reporter

Kazakhstan-backed developer Michael Gold is selling his prime property at Yonge and Bloor Sts., signalling that his planned glass tower condo and hotel project may be dead.

Gold made the decision as part of his court-approved plan to keep the property out of receivership, where his main creditor tried to send him earlier this week.

Documents filed in court yesterday show Gold and his company, Bazis International of Kazakhstan, will sell the land on the southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor to an unnamed buyer. The buyer must make a "good faith deposit" as part of the land sale by next Wednesday, and the deal must close by Sept. 16. Several other conditions are attached, including a "due diligence" period for the unknown buyer to analyze the deal.

"I have to wonder if the new buyer will want to build the same thing (Gold) did," said Ray Tabrizi, a purchaser of a unit in the 80-storey tower that Gold planned. "Maybe the new guy will go half the size, one-third, who knows?"

The saga of 1 Bloor began in 2007, when hundreds of buyers lined up for weeks to own a unit in the tallest residential building in Canada. A hotel and retail space was part of the plan. Units went on sale from $500,000 to $8 million and above.

Gold bought the land, cleared it, but last December stopped making payments on a $46 million land loan. The bank that advanced the loan sold the loan earlier this year to a consortium of Toronto businessmen at a discounted price, the amount having not been revealed. When the loan continued to be in default, the lenders, led by financier Gary Berman, tried to place the project into receivership. Berman's group offered $50.5 million, unconditionally, to purchase the land and Gold could walk away.

But Gold, whose wife's family is behind Bazis in Kazakhstan, issued an angry statement on Monday saying Berman's group was trying to steal his project. He warned that Berman's group "plans to cancel all deals with buyers, retailers and the hotel chain."

"If the court decision is approved, almost 500 condo buyers, the retail chains, which were to have flagship stores in the podium and the Sofitel five-star world-hotel chain at 1 Bloor will all be out in the cold," Gold said in the statement.

Now, one day later, condo unit owners speculate Gold may be about to do the same thing.

The court-approved settlement refers to a letter of intent to purchase, but the letter itself was not filed in court. The deal calls for the land to be sold as "vacant land" (it has been cleared) but does not say if the purchaser wants the property free and clear of the condo plan.

Last week, Gold downsized the 80-storey plan to 67 floors.

If Gold's bid to sell the property goes through, Berman's group will be paid out in full. Until then, they will have to settle for a $242,823 interest payment for the current month.

Meanwhile, about 500 purchasers are waiting to hear what will become of about $70 million in deposits held in trust by Gold's lawyer. Tabrizi, who paid $125,000 down for his $500,000 unit on the 42nd floor, is watching the Bazis Toronto website at www.1bloor.com hoping for a statement from Gold.

"My faith in these guys is gone, my trust is gone," said Tabrizi, who works in flooring sales, and made the purchase as an investment for his family's future. "I should have just left the money in the bank."

The purchasers' agreements promise interest on their deposits should the money be refunded.

The court documents make no mention of Gold's plan earlier this month to bring in $195 million in loans from BTA Bank of Kazakhstan, which is under criminal investigation overseas for loan fraud.

Lawyers and representatives for both sides refused to comment on the events of the day.

Source

I posted the folling back in September/07.
Other than making sure to always pay attention to what Granny tells you, what have we learned boys and girls?"When you see the parade, then you know the party is almost over.";)
..................................................................................................

There have been a number of variations on this old quote, but history never fails to repeat itself. It's about to again.

The lineup of anxious pigeons clutching their cheques and clawing their way in the front door for an opportunity to give someone, anyone, a lot of their money, made me think of this old line. Sadly its about to come true again.

The lights on this party are starting to flicker.

To the younger potential home buyers out there who are feeling that maybe they are missing this parade, I have some advise for you. You did miss it. But don't worry. It's heading over a cliff. Believe me, there will be some choice bargains to choose from in the aftermath within the next couple years. Bide your time. Save your money. Buy location. Above all buy value. Ignore the "It's the end of the world as we know it and this condo market will never recover again" clowns. In other words, learn the the differance between investing and speculating.

As to you "Investors" who bought in to 1 Bloor, I truly wish you the best of luck. I mean that. But ask yourself this. Did you do your due diligence on this? Did you weigh the upside potential against the downside risk, or did you buy in because everybody else was buying in and told you what a great deal this was??

I have invested in many opportunities over the years and happily I have done well. I've had some real bloopers though, particularly when I was younger. I learned from some expensive errors.

Personal opinion only: If I had money in this one, I would be sweating.

thanks for that article khristopher

Bye Bye Bazis
Bye Bye One Bloor

:cool:

What to do at 1 Bloorin the meantime?

I take my lunch around Yonge and Bloor every now and then. It'd be real nice if the unused space would be - temporarily at least - a park with greenery and benches (hint; not the knee breaking concrete filled H2O 'park').

Who's with me on this one?

YK

Who do you think is the buyer of the 1BE site?

Let the wild guessing begin !

Here's my thoughts in order of likliness ~

1. Tridel
  2. Menkes
  3. Minto
  4. Daniels
  5. Fernbrook/Cityzen
  6. Concord Adex
  7. Conservatory
  8. Cresford

I take my lunch around Yonge and Bloor every now and then. It'd be real nice if the unused space would be - temporarily at least - a park with greenery and benches (hint; not the knee breaking concrete filled H2O 'park').

Who's with me on this one?

YK

Apart from the insurance/liability issues of opening the space up to the public, I imagine that once you've designated such a spot as a public space (even if temporary), you'd get a lot of backlash once you decided to put something else there. It would be nice, though...

Sorry - a bit OT...

I'm not sure if you're ferring to HtO park on the waterfront, but if so, there's plenty of green space, benches, Adirondack Chairs, and sand.

The questions that are really interesting:

What will be designed in its place (how big, what retail or other concepts will be included)?

When will it go to market (a new building and concept will take time to develop, and then they have to decide if the market is healthy enough to launch)?

And I am afraid that all those disappointed with the present design, will not find much comfort in any new design.

I wouldn't care who developed the site as long as they had a Absolute World style, open competition for the design of the building. The only restriction would be that they would have to use all of the approved density. In other words, 75 storeys + or the equivalent.

Bazis biggest problem (as I see it from the outside...ie. I am not involved in this deal so this is pure idle industry speculation) is that they were never able to convince a lender in the first place that they could pull this off.

They convinced Lehman Brothers. Who would have thought Lehman Brothers could go under?

Exactly. Anyone posting I-told-you-so's here are pretty much the beneficiaries of good luck, a happy accident, a fluke. Extraordinary circumstances have brought this complex down.

uggggh i'm not a fan of all this park talk. Yosi's proved the problem perfectly when he said "I take my lunch around Yonge and Bloor every now and then." a park would only be used every now at then, particualty at lunch time for the towers, and even then only on decent summer days. The land is worth somewhere in the tune of $50 mil and the city has already given it's grace on an 80 story building. I don't know how much revenue parks generate but i'm sure a condo would make a bit more for (for the city)

I wouldn't care who developed the site as long as they had a Absolute World style, open competition for the design of the building. The only restriction would be that they would have to use all of the approved density. In other words, 75 storeys + or the equivalent.

The rezoning was very specific in terms of maximum height. The max. height of the main roof (265.45 m), mech. roof (279 m) and fins (290.5 m) are shown on the last page of by-law 1167-2008. To be permitted the same height(s), any building would need within the building footprint Bazis proposed. In other words, any redesign that situates the building on the site differently, will require another zoning amendment. Without an amendment, future builders will also be required to pay the S.37 agreements made between Bazis and the City, as outlined in the linked by-law.

Anything that removes a Harvey's and replaces it with an empty lot is a really bad thing.

True enough, but to quote Veronika Belovich, Bazis's director sales and marketing, "This is a junky corner." (I wonder whatever happened to her.)

I am afraid that all those disappointed with the present design, will not find much comfort in any new design.

And I think, much like the L-Tower (did we forget about that project already?), once 1 Bloor is also blugeoned most of us will lose interest in this one too.

For me, the L-Tower and 1 Bloor were two of the most exciting and UNIQUE projects being hyped in the city for the last two years. Now it looks like they'll both become just a couple more tall towers.

Concord Adex mind as well take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back