News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 522     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

1 Bloor East, DEAD AND BURIED (Bazis, -2s, Varacalli)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't find Xerox "hideous", necessarily, unless you want to paint all commonplace c1990 office-building architecture as "hideous"...

I spend 37.5 hours/week sitting behind a desk in the Xerox Tower and have no qualms with the building. It could be taller, of course, considering its prime location. The windows are so tinted it always seems to look overcast outside, no matter how sunny and bright it may be. On truly grey days it can almost appear to be night when looking out. But overall I can appreciate the early 90s design... quite attractive, certainly not offensive.

The Xerox building is pretty damn decent compared to whats just across the street from it.
You want to talk about a building that needs to be reclad? Then lets talk about Two Bloor West.

just to be technical it is 2 Bloor East that's across the road... atleast until Toronto gets its second pedestrian scramble intersection.

two thumbs up for Zerox, should look great as a neighbour to 1BE...

August 30th

Everything is down now from Bloor to (former) Roy's Square. It looks like demolition is beginning on the back of the Naval Club on Hayden Street

Yonge & Bloor is a mess with the infrastructure improvements happening

Bloor Street has never been more pedestrian-friendly. It actually was quite pleasant crossing from St. Andrew's Church to Park Road this morning, with traffic crawling in single lanes. :)

I agree, let it die. Although the building’s massing and scale are great the architecture is terrible for such a signature tower. The linai idea was almost guaranteed to look like an eyesore on such a large building .

I am new to the forum.
I agree with you Billy, the architecture is terrible. The elements on this building are so "intentional". Those covered balconies are nothing new architecturally. The visual effect is awaiting to be seen. I feel, rather than letting the building speaks quietly like a lady, the fins, and the colorful windows are like make up overly done on a girl. To be honest, the elements and fancy vocabularies are there to Wow you (like a lot of modern architecture), but a joke is only funny the first time you heard it. Good architecture need to compete with time. Why do you think Le Corbusier's Unite d'habitation is still being documented and talked about in university? (Sounds like I am a fan of Christoper Hume!! LOL)

Personally, I want a building with better architecture that the current scheme. But I think I read it some where before, the architect Varacalli said even the current scheme is still work in progress..... Fingers cross... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back