News   Apr 26, 2024
 89     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 319     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

The only celebrity chef from outside of Toronto who I am aware to have been successful here is David Chang, maybe Morimoto will be the second one. Boulud's place at the Four Seasons isn't at the top of anyone's list here, is it? And Wolfgang Puck got nowhere here. Who else has tried?

We seem to prefer our own "homegrown*" crop of celebrity chefs - Mark McEwan, Michael Bonacini, Lynn Crawford, Claudio Aprile, Susur Lee, Massimo Capra, Jamie Kennedy, Marc Thuet, Carl Heinrich, several more… getting tired…

*based here, anyway.

Cafe Boulud in the Four Seasons is a beautiful space, however, I felt that the food wasn't that special for the price. It would be a place I'd hesitate to return to. So certainly, not the top of my list.

Momofuku however, is a wonderful experience, I loved the food there.

Application: New Building Status: Not Started

TORONTO

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 180418 BLD 00 NB Accepted Date: Jun 25, 2014

Project: Restaurant 30 Seats or Less New Building

Description: Proposal to construct a new take out restaurant on centre island.

On our way to The Greek Grill at the top of Pape -- and BTW, this is the real deal when it comes to Greek food, IMO -- we passed the makings of a new place at the corner of Pape and Aldwych. It's called Tzatziki.

The only celebrity chef from outside of Toronto who I am aware to have been successful here is David Chang, maybe Morimoto will be the second one. Boulud's place at the Four Seasons isn't at the top of anyone's list here, is it? And Wolfgang Puck got nowhere here. Who else has tried?

We seem to prefer our own "homegrown*" crop of celebrity chefs - Mark McEwan, Michael Bonacini, Lynn Crawford, Claudio Aprile, Susur Lee, Massimo Capra, Jamie Kennedy, Marc Thuet, Carl Heinrich, several more… getting tired…

*based here, anyway.

Scott Conants Scarpetta was a huge failure as well. Bouloud is ok... just not comparable to some

Toronto has too many good independent fine dining spots and if you want good "chain" food - we have some amazing "chain" restaurants (by chain I mean high end chains), i.e. the stuff that Khabouth is doing with Hanif Harji, ie Patria, heck even mini chains like Libretto, Terroni, and Gusto 101 are successful.

On our way to The Greek Grill at the top of Pape -- and BTW, this is the real deal when it comes to Greek food, IMO -- we passed the makings of a new place at the corner of Pape and Aldwych. It's called Tzatziki.

it's funny how many people mention the Greek Grill as top notch. I drive by it at least 3 or 4 times a week. I'm going to have to check it out. Folia Grill on Pape just south of Cosburn is our current go-to place. If you've tried it, how does it compare to Greek Grill?

it's funny how many people mention the Greek Grill as top notch. I drive by it at least 3 or 4 times a week. I'm going to have to check it out. Folia Grill on Pape just south of Cosburn is our current go-to place. If you've tried it, how does it compare to Greek Grill?

We love Folia for their gyro. Hold the fries though. I like mine on the side, where they belong. They recently expanded their menu quite a bit but we haven't had a chance to try anything else yet. I am under the impression that ownership changed.

The Greek Grill is one of those places where they have pans of meat, veg, potatoes, pasta etc. behind a counter plus an extensive menu of all the usual. Weekdays, choice is limited. Weekends, if you like some of the traditional dishes like stuffed eggplant or pastitsio, get it before it sells out. They do these grilled homemade sausages which are delish. The moussaka is non greasy. I have never seen the gyro going but they do a nice roast pork. I like their patio. Very Greek. There's a reason the parking lot is always full.

45 Grosvenor has a liquor license application for a "Via Vai" in the large retail space with the art installation in the Burano Building.

Yet another souvlaki and gyro joint opening on Pape, this time on the corner of Floyd in a former Middle Eastern pita place. This one's called Greek Boy. That's three of these now on Pape. I will stick to Folia, I think.

Back