News   Apr 26, 2024
 734     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 247     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 735     0 

TTC: Other Items (catch all)

Alos the switches that are set as manual are either not used often or ar trailing switches and don't need to be powered.
Or are broken, and need repair. This can often take months to years. How long has the switch on Broadview southbound at Dundas been out? That's got what, 40 cars an hour crossing it at peak?

What about southbound Coxwell at Gerrard? It's fixed now, but I swear it was out for over 5 years.

Yes my math is wrong as I wanted to see what other would say, but most of all its a guessing game since the streetcars weren't replace by buses as plan in the 70's.

When one does the math for what buses or streetcars numbers should be, it should be based on a peak stop/zone using normal peak load, not the crush load TTC and the bean counters used.

TTC has used Yonge-King-Queen as peak area with about 2,400-2,800/hr as numbers that are out dated going in one direction.

If we use 60 as peak load for a bus, that means you need 40-48 buses going in one direction at about every 80 second. To see how many buses are really require, you need the total round trip travel time plus 3-5 minute layover at each end, if a driver has the time to do it in the first place. You take that x number in total and divide by the headway time that is needed for peak point to get x buses. You need 15-20% spare ratio being added to that the total buses needed to get the total buses needed for the line. This means you are looking at about 100 buses for peak and less for off peak.

Since we know traffic has an impact on bunching as well riders and operators, a few more buses will be thrown out there. As we have seen over the years, more vehicles are added to the route due to more travel time is needed while not changing the headway up. Anyone one in service planning will tell you at some point it becomes useless to put more vehicles on line since the ridership is not increasing to justify it.

As for St Clair, how its operate is based on the operators in the first place, since there are operator who don't give a shit about schedule to the point they are Sunday drivers. Have seen other operators as well supervisors ream these Sunday drivers out who thumb their nose at them. Been on cars where my driver has stop as another direction car about to pass to ream the driver since they have everyone at one end of the line and behind schedule. Over all, TTC is using less cars to move more riders before the rebuilt in a shorter time frame. It takes 8-15 minutes today to do the Yonge-St Clair West Station run, which is about 50% less than mix traffic. Can't find my info for the western section, but a lot faster today than before.

Since 2010, there has been 4 new condos built, 2 more that will see new owners this year, 4 under construction, 4 in planning stage on St Clair its self. Retail still lags because landowners want more money than most mom & pop store can afford. This goes back as far as 2008 when these landowners thought they saw a gravy train coming their way with the ROW.

Or are broken, and need repair. This can often take months to years. How long has the switch on Broadview southbound at Dundas been out? That's got what, 40 cars an hour crossing it at peak?

What about southbound Coxwell at Gerrard? It's fixed now, but I swear it was out for over 5 years.
Broadview and Dundas is up for a complete rebuild this summer but it is not good that switches remain unrepared for ages.

Last edited:
can we please put this myth to bed There is no problem with the streetcar switches. They stop at them mainly because they are at intersections and also they need to check it is in the correct direction for the route they are traveling as they have no decided signal except in a few place that tell them it is set correctly. Alos the switches that are set as manual are either not used often or ar trailing switches and don't need to be powered.

This is where I go running to the Business section at Indigo and start grabbing Total Quality Management textbooks.

Thr excellence principle says that anything in a process that has above average variability or which is known to be error prone or represents risk should get focussed study and attention. Can TTC point to anything that they do differently or with more focus than they did in, say, 1917 to improve track switch reliability and safety? How many new technologies have they tested? What metrics do they maintain to track switch performance and quality? Can they demonstrate their reliability is tracking upwards?

I would also be citing the chapter on 'operator workarounds'. When operators have to do things differently to make up for equipment deficiencies or deferred maintenance, it's not a sign of excellence.

My impression is TTC treats track switches as a chronic issue that gets a lick and a kick, but there is no real commitment to improvement.

A lot of the criticism of streetcars being lumbering whales might go away if TTC didn't operate its fleet like lumbering whales. I'm passionate about street cars but TTC is a very old school, complacent operation. Toronto transit deserves to be run like a Swiss watch.

- Paul

From what I recall from 2012, trams ran normal speed through switches faster than TTC has every done, consider how old some of them are.

Places like Prague that have many different routes going through in various directions at major intersections had no problem with one tram following another through switches and switching.

Broadview and Dundas is up for a complete rebuild this summer but it is not good that switches remain unprepared for ages.
Ah, that's good to know. At least they aren't jumping out of the streetcar at this location everytime they go through to put it back again.

I'm surprised now they did the track repair between Dundas and Gerrard then (a couple of weeks ago), instead of waiting until the summer.

can we please put this myth to bed There is no problem with the streetcar switches. They stop at them mainly because they are at intersections and also they need to check it is in the correct direction for the route they are traveling as they have no decided signal except in a few place that tell them it is set correctly. Alos the switches that are set as manual are either not used often or ar trailing switches and don't need to be powered.

There's actually two different problems at play here.

First off - the system that the TTC uses to control the powered switches on the system is horribly obsolete. Spare parts have to be made in house. Components break down pretty regularly. This is not news, and the TTC has been trying to figure out a way to replace it for quite some time.

The second issue is with operation - the stop-and-stay edict for operating over all facing-point switches. Some people (such as Steve Munro) have chalked it up to the poor switch control system, but this is not the case. It was done entirely as a knee-jerk response to a pair of bad derailments about 15 or so years ago which involved operators driving entirely too fast and not seeing (or being able to see) switches set against the presumed route.

There is no guarantee that the TTC will remove the rule to stop-and-stay at facing-point switches on the mainline with whatever new hardware they finally decide upon. In fact, considering other situations in the past where new hardware was installed ostensibly to fix a rule but the rule was maintained, I would be inclined to believe that they won't.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

From what I recall from 2012, trams ran normal speed through switches faster than TTC has every done, consider how old some of them are.

Places like Prague that have many different routes going through in various directions at major intersections had no problem with one tram following another through switches and switching.

Ditto in Toronto in the 1970's. When the TTC was properly funded.

I'm surprised now they did the track repair between Dundas and Gerrard then (a couple of weeks ago), instead of waiting until the summer.
As a weekly 505 user I'm pretty happy the cars aren't crawling through that section to the same degree...

I assume because it was actually dangerous. Similarly, they did track repairs on Wellington between Church and Yonge a few weeks ago though that track is scheduled for a complete rebuild later in 2017. (It LOOKED quite dangerous for years and had a new "slow down" sign put up more recently.

From this link:

(Today, the) TTC uses radio controlled switches. In the era of PCC cars overhead contacts were used but given that the TTC now has three lengths of streetcars this is now not possible. On the dash of the streetcar there is a NA button. NA stands for Necessity Action Switch a system that dates back to 1945. It requires positive action on the part of the operator whereas standard street railway switches are power on or power off allowing occasional unintentional switch throws.

When the NA button is pressed the front antenna emits a signal. The signal includes the streetcar number. The signal is picked up by a loop buried in the pavement between the running rails. The loop sends a signal (via wire) to a controller on a wayside post.

The controller includes a memory chip, which records all switch activity: each streetcar number crossing the switch, whether the NA button was depressed or not. Using a computer the speed of the streetcar can be determined, which direction it was traveling or if the direction changed (i.e. forward then reverse as in doing a wye).

The controller interprets the signal and then sends a signal (via wire) to the switch engine either to move or to stay in its current position. NOTE: If you turned at this switch on the last trip, the controller will try to send you on that path.

A rear antenna constantly emits a release signal. It is received by an exit loop buried in the pavement between the running rails. The loop sends a signal (via wire) to the controller on the wayside post. The controller interprets the signal. Then stores it in the memory chip or board. The controller sends a signal (via wire) to the switch to unlock it so that it will accept the signal from the next streetcar.

As all switch elements are exposed to the elements, the radio control system is not considered a vital system and switch position must be visually confirmed at a speed where the streetcar can stop before entering the switch.

NA switches are indicated to the operator by a NA --> sign with a small arrow indicating the direction of turnout.

streetcar-4005-09.jpg

Photo source: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4502.shtml

"A close-up of a dashboard of a rebuilt all-electric PCC. The switches are, from left to right: NA activation (unlabeled black button in top left corner. It activates track switches), gong, sander (releases sand for better traction), signal bell, front doors open, M-G set (power system), treadle switch (allows passengers to open back doors by standing on steps), EM reset, headlight, defrost fan, center entrance (opens back doors outright), cab heat, advance lights (green light up top and other non-headlight lights in front), lights (interior), lights (interior, second set)."

In a age of budget cuts automatic switches do not always work. Then the operator has to get out of the streetcar and manual throw the switch with a switch iron. All TTC streetcar switches are single point switches where is only one moving blade. Railway switches typically are double point.

IMPORTANT: Any operator manually changing a turnout must restore the mainline to its original state before proceeding.

In addition to the Necessity Action Powered switches you will find SR or self restoring switches which usually are spring switches on the second leg of a 90 degree turnout.

Another thing that isn't noted in either article is that the TTC has a lot of reliability issues because the company that manufactures the issues was sold, its headquarters burned down in a fire and the design documents for the switching system were lost in that fire. So the TTC literally just has to figure out how to repair a system without any information aside from the parts they have in stock or installed, and without any support from the OEM.
This sounds like something out of the Tv series Yes Minister and Yes Prime minister.

I've been noticing these last couple of weeks that the guards on line 2 have all moved to the last car of their train. At first I thought that something was wrong with the fifth car but it looks like the change is going to be permanent.

Back