News   Apr 26, 2024
 102     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 411     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.2K     4 

2015 Federal Election

That was me and I am glad to be wrong. Forum has just tended to lean conservative in the past. They did for the mayoral election and also provincially.
In assuming you have now been proven wrong you are just confirming what I have always thought about polls and people's reactions to them (generally)...if a poll says our guy is winning we are happy to say "look at the polls we are winning"....if the poll(s) show the other guy is winning we tend to say "they are always wrong" or "the only poll that matters is the election itself".

You could actually be right...forum might be wildly inaccurate and the Liberals are not now in the lead...or, perhaps, the CPC was never in the lead.

;)

In assuming you have now been proven wrong you are just confirming what I have always thought about polls and people's reactions to them (generally)...if a poll says our guy is winning we are happy to say "look at the polls we are winning"....if the poll(s) show the other guy is winning we tend to say "they are always wrong" or "the only poll that matters is the election itself".

You could actually be right...forum might be wildly inaccurate and the Liberals are not now in the lead...or, perhaps, the CPC was never in the lead.

;)

Also, vote percentage can end up being meaningless given our current system. Winning a majority with only 39% of the vote says it all.

So Olivia Chow and Adam Vaughan are now tied for support according to 308.com. Could we see another big crash for Chow?

I feel like her focus on larger, national issues is hurting her at the local level. Selling $15 a day daycare to constituents who don't really care about daycare right now isn't a good tactic to win votes. C51 was her big shot, but even that seems to have fizzled. Adam Vaughan has outflanked her on housing and transit, two of the bigger issues that face Spadina-Fort York, while she continues to mail out pamphlets promoting daycare and revoking C51.

I can't believe that the Conservatives are making headways in Quebec over this.

Surely the Bloc or Liberals are picking up the seats lost by the NDP?

Culture has been an obsession in Quebec since forever. Haven't you heard of their "Charter of Values"? It was in all the new recently. Maybe same thing will happen this election as it did in the Quebec provincial election: splitting the vote resulting in a Liberal win in Quebec. I think Conservatives are taking away votes mainly from NDP in Quebec, not Liberals.

Newest Ekos poll is echoing the trends of all the other pollsters now. Liberals in the lead with 34% vs. 32% for the CPC. Liberals now leading in Quebec and Ontario.

http://ipolitics.ca/hcn/the-ekos-poll/

3-way race in BC with the rest of the country's ABC vote coalescing under the Liberals?

We will see some movement there in the next two weeks.

C-51 was a very effective issue for the NDP. Weeks and weeks ago. They needed to have moved on, and they haven't. I'm tired of listening to them fixate on Justin Trudeau.
Agreed.

Trudeau in the past few months has transformed into a leader with a clear (and damned good I must say!) plan, platform and direction for Canada.

The NDP slept while they were ahead and failed to translate their lead into a social movement. Surprisingly, that seems to be exactly what Trudeau is accomplishing! And at a pivotal moment to build momentum heading towards the election date no less!

Agreed.

Trudeau in the past few months has transformed into a leader with a clear (and damned good I must say!) plan, platform and direction for Canada.

The NDP slept while they were ahead and failed to translate their lead into a social movement. Surprisingly, that seems to be exactly what Trudeau is accomplishing! And at a pivotal moment to build momentum heading towards the election date no less!

Trudeau movement is in part failure of the NDP making any movement in vote rich Ontario, Mulcair handling of the niqab issue sending their polling numbers down in Quebec and the A.B.C. voters fearful of a voting split.

Because some try to claim it is part of Islam, and it should have protections as if it were.

In Syndicat Northcrest v. Amselem (2004), the Supreme Court drew up a definition of freedom of religion under the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, mindful of the overlap with section 2(a). The majority found freedom of religion encompasses a right to religious practices if the individual has a sincere belief that the practice is connected to religion. It would not matter whether the practice was needed according to religious authority. If courts can believe an individual is telling the truth in saying a practice is connected to religion, the courts then ask whether the infringement of freedom of religion is severe enough to trigger section 2. The Court also said religious beliefs are vacillating, so courts trying to determine an individual belief should be mindful that beliefs may change. Following this test in Multani v. Commission scolaire Marguerite‑Bourgeoys (2006), the Court found freedom of religion should protect a non-violent Sikh student's right to wear a kirpan (dagger) in school.

In R. v. N.S., 2012 SCC 72, the Supreme Court sought to find a middle ground on the issue of whether a witness can wear a face-covering niqab while testifying in a criminal trial. The court found that the right to religious freedom must be balanced against the right of the accused to a fair trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_Two_of_the_Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms

So that argument is moot. The instance where you can override that is when it affects the right of others - and a citzenship ceremony isn't that instance.

AoD

Last edited:

Back