News   Apr 19, 2024
 775     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 649     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

2015 Federal Election

Technically, that's what someone like Brent Rathgeber is, right? Or Chuck Cadman in 2004?

Yeah, but I think they are out more out of personal disagreement with the party/leader instead of being booted for saying questionable things that are inopportune to the image of the party because it was made known to the general public but otherwise likely popular among the local electorate.

AoD

Yeah, but I think they are out more out of personal disagreement with the party/leader instead of being booted for saying questionable things that are inopportune to the image of the party because it was made known to the general public but otherwise likely popular among the local electorate.

AoD

Yes, they were elected as a party member before they went independent. Being elected as an independent in Canada is quite rare.

AoD
The question is do the people in the riding of Mississauga-Malton believe they are?

The question is do the people in the riding of Mississauga-Malton believe they are?

Clearly the Cons see it as questionable enough globally, vis-a-vis their positioning to have to "turf" him. It's a balancing act when you play the identity game the way they did.

AoD

Clearly the Cons see it as questionable enough globally, vis-a-vis their positioning to have to "turf" him. It's a balancing act when you play the identity game the way they did.

AoD
sure is a balancing act....I am trying to figure out if by having this candidate in the first place and then firing him proves (as I have been told) that the cons are a party of racists or if firing him because he expresses homophobic views confirms or contradicts what I have been told that they are a party of homophobes ;)

sure is a balancing act....I am trying to figure out if by having this candidate in the first place and then firing him proves (as I have been told) that the cons are a party of racists or if firing him because he expresses homophobic views confirms or contradicts what I have been told that they are a party of homophobes ;)

LOL, how about it is a party of strange bedfollows of convenience who gets their dictates from the leader - just think of a Venn diagram of intersecting biases.

AoD

The wording was very bad and only having 140 characters to use helped. His history with race based comments makes this stand out though. This also isn't the first time he has looked bad on social media.
Here is the story explained

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...aise-for-refugee-boys-unaccented-english.html

Kenney defended the tweet, saying that people were “misconstruing it,” and said he deleted it for the boy’s sake.

“I have a serious accent when I speak French! I simply found it remarkable that a youngster who did not speak a word of English a year ago has learned so quickly that he sounds like he grew up in Canada. I meant it as a harmless observation about how quickly a refugee child has taken to living in Canada. I have deleted the tweet as some people were misconstruing it, & I don't want the boy to be subject of any controversy,” he wrote on Twitter.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ssue-breathes-life-into-bloc/article26641178/

If the BQ gains NDP seats in Quebec this will offset any lost CP seats, meaning a Liberal-Democrat coalition would be unlikely, as it would not have a two-party majority, mirroring IIRC what happened in 2008.

Except the Bloc is still dead in QC

In Quebec, where the controversy over the niqab face veil worn continues to rage, the NDP remain in front ahead of the Liberals 34 per cent to 24 per cent support. The Conservatives sit at 23 per cent, the Bloc Québécois 16 per cent, the Greens 2 per cent, and “other” 1 per cent.

http://www.thestar.com/news/federal...move-back-into-lead-new-forum-poll-finds.html

AoD

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ssue-breathes-life-into-bloc/article26641178/

If the BQ gains NDP seats in Quebec this will offset any lost CP seats, meaning a Liberal-Democrat coalition would be unlikely, as it would not have a two-party majority, mirroring IIRC what happened in 2008.

That may not matter. The new Forum poll is agreeing with Nanos that the Liberals have moved into the lead. Also, despite losing ground, the NDP are still quite far ahead in the Quebec polls.

ETA...beaten to it.

I can't believe that the Conservatives are making headways in Quebec over this.

Surely the Bloc or Liberals are picking up the seats lost by the NDP?

That may not matter. The new Forum poll is agreeing with Nanos that the Liberals have moved into the lead. Also, despite losing ground, the NDP are still quite far ahead in the Quebec polls.

ETA...beaten to it.
But, wait, someone here assured me that forum polls were meaningless because they were bought and paid for by the CPC (or something like that) :)

Back