508     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 819     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     2 

Roads: New Digital Turning Restriction Signals

That's your problem right there.

How does this happen?

What's the point of having laws if anyone can break them willy-nilly? This angers me to no end. Why should those dozens of people on that streetcar have to put up with this?

Is this Iraq? I thought this was Canada where we had laws.
Yeah, ridiculous.

There are actually a ton of intersections that could use some periodic enforcement. All over the city.

Another item that is getting really bad is people making left turns on red lights, after the cars ahead of them pass during the yellow phase. It is pretty much normal now for 1 - 2 cars to run a red like this.

I wonder if we will start to see people doing Pittsburgh lefts, despite then having dangerous driving charges associated with them.

I wonder if we will start to see people doing Pittsburgh lefts, despite then having dangerous driving charges associated with them.

I have seen no increase in that behaviour....have seen cars "stretching the yellow" and I see an increase in dual lane left turning though.

I have seen no increase in that behaviour....have seen cars "stretching the yellow" and I see an increase in dual lane left turning though.

To be totally honest I don't care about this type of behaviour--what I do care about is holding up an entire streetcar of people just so one asshole cabbie can make his left.

Fancy New No Left Turn Signs

Just noticed these on Friday. Not sure how long they've been up.

10724141_1502553649999029_299488676_n.jpg

This one was at the corner of King & Spadina.

I also noticed that rush-hour is getting longer. Now 3-7PM. And 7-10PM.

Attachments

• 10724141_1502553649999029_299488676_n.jpg
    10724141_1502553649999029_299488676_n.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 764
They've been up for at least a month now, we were discussing them in the King ROW thread.

But yes, they are fancy and a good addition to this street.

Now that they've been in service for a while, I wonder if the city has stats on whether they are actually reducing left turns.

Looks like they're right. From the Ontario Driver's Handbook:

UUl3B3N.png

Traffic and pedestrians must yield to public transit vehicles at a transit priority signal. The round signal is on top of a regular traffic signal and shows a white vertical bar on a dark background. This allows transit vehicles to go through, turn right or left, while all conflicting traffic faces a red light.

Mystery solved!

Note that that Yahoo Groups post is more than a decade old, so that light has been there for at least that long. I suppose at one point the TTC was considering using these style of signals. It's to bad that these lights haven't been installed across the system.

I'm a little surprised that it's taken me that long to notice the signal. I'm frequently in that area. :confused:

I did not know these were used in (legal in) Ontario. If so they should put them on QQ and St Clair where the "streetcar signals" confuse visitors (and many locals.)
There has been one on Queen Street East at Broadview (for the 504 turning north) for a long time ... at least 2007. Hmm, are we talking about the same thing - I'm surprised you'd not have seen that one.

Back