News   Jun 07, 2024
 590     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1.6K     2 

Roads: New Digital Turning Restriction Signals

Walking down King, I was surprised at how little the ones at Jarvis jumped out at me, at least when turned off. I'd have thought they'd have been a lot closer to the centre of the intersection and in my face while turning left, as opposed to being lost at the side.

This morning, I was just noticing how much (in full daylight) the one at Univeristy stood out....when turned on. Perhaps that is the point....when turned off they serve no purpose so they need not stand out....when turned on they are performing a function and need to stand out.

Also, I noticed that streets west of Jarvis (Church, etc.), it looks like the no left turn signs had been recently modified from 7-9 AM and 4-6 pm to 7-10 AM and 3 to 7 PM (if I remember correctly). But not Jarvis itself, and further east.

I had heard in the last couple of months that the rush hour times had been extended by an hour at the tail end for some turns and for on-street parking restrictions.

These new signs didn't stop this cab from turning left, holding up a streetcar right behind:
IMG_4675.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 693
These new signs didn't stop this cab from turning left, holding up a streetcar right behind:
View attachment 32407

I assume Toronto is using at least 1940's technology for the new signs, so they can be turned on or off depending on the time of day. So the old non-illuminated sign is redundant. Is there a memo somewhere at City Hall that says we need to maximize visual clutter and general ugliness?

I assume Toronto is using at least 1940's technology for the new signs, so they can be turned on or off depending on the time of day. So the old non-illuminated sign is redundant. Is there a memo somewhere at City Hall that says we need to maximize visual clutter and general ugliness?
There is a whole discussion on this higher up the thread....

In terms of enforcement, a simple red light camera should do the trick.
Works wonders in Italy with their restricted access zones in Florence, Venice etc.

Maybe there should be a camera on streetcars to record the license plates of those making left turns. The streetcar driver could hit a button when someone does this in front of him. With the new signs, there should be no excuse.

It should be a massive fine that escalates on repeat offences, enough that it's not simply "cost of business" for taxi drivers.

I just saw a truck make a left from King to Yonge while the no-turn sign was on - the driver even signalled - and the cop who was there to direct traffic due to construction didn't do a thing. I don't think there's a camera there ... yet.

the cop who was there to direct traffic due to construction didn't do a thing.

That's your problem right there.

How does this happen?

What's the point of having laws if anyone can break them willy-nilly? This angers me to no end. Why should those dozens of people on that streetcar have to put up with this?

Is this Iraq? I thought this was Canada where we had laws.

Last edited:
Yeah but if he stopped the infringer then who does his paid duty? That's the answer you'll get from the powers that be.

LED No Left Turn signs...Good idea that gets the message right out...

I really love the idea of those signs. Makes is so clear. Its difficult to see the times under a stationary sign .

Everyone: I have seen these NO LEFT TURN LED signs in use myself in my area of Long Island - They are used on some busy "T"
intersections in which there is a paralleling LIRR grade crossing - one being at a station - to try and alleviate backups at busy
periods...I do agree that they are easier to notice then the older hang signs with the enforcement times on them...

What these signs would need is to have at least some enforcement backup may it be with police patrols or red light cameras
to get the point across that they are there for a reason and there will be a penalty of some type (fine or license points) for
those who ignore them...When it comes to traffic enforcement to me the police are the least of your worries...
Getting into a accident is definitely far and away worse...LI MIKE

Back