News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 608     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Roads: New Digital Turning Restriction Signals

Another advantage to the flashing signs, presumably, is more flexibility in terms of lane/traffic restrictions.

So we currently don't allow left turns off of King during the rush hours and the hard/text signs indicate that. What if, say, we wanted to prevent people going south on all or one road during a special event? With the new signs we just program them into the no position and voila....you have it!
As far as I could tell the signs cannot be changed - that is they show a left turn arrow with a line through it and I do not think it can be made to show a right turn one with a line. Clearly that would be more flexible but undoubtedly more expensive. Now I think they are either off or on only and as noted above are currently only facing eastbound traffic.

I agree, yes some people will break the law regardless but many many folks don't do it intentionally and the hours aren't clear at all ... moreover, I wonder if a red light camera can be used at all to help with this.

Uh no. You just glance at the sign already directly in front of you for a fracton of a second to catch what the hours are. It just takes a blink of the eye. (if one does slow down slightly to make the turn when glancing at the sign, how does this lead to following too closely?)

Anyone who has difficulty doing this, the simplest of tasks, shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Surely the issue that is rectified by great big flashing lights is simply that one doesn't notice the signs ... not that the text is too small to read!

But they are behind the wheel, so yes it's a fantastic idea.

They'll have to keep at least one old sign with the times shown and be visibile in case of power failures.
Really! In that case they ought to keep a policeman on stand-by at all traffic lights in case there is a power failure and they have to get off their cell phone and direct traffic. Power failures are really quite rare and if there were one the least of the problems would be illegal left turns.

Really! In that case they ought to keep a policeman on stand-by at all traffic lights in case there is a power failure and they have to get off their cell phone and direct traffic. Power failures are really quite rare and if there were one the least of the problems would be illegal left turns.

The old signs also let you know the times that the turns are illegal, the LED signs just tell you that you cant turn. I'd say you could never get rid of the standard signage, I would bet the HTA would require the standard signage if you are trying to ban turns.

The old signs also let you know the times that the turns are illegal, the LED signs just tell you that you cant turn. I'd say you could never get rid of the standard signage, I would bet the HTA would require the standard signage if you are trying to ban turns.

Really? wouldn't it be as simple as if the sign is on (ie displaying a red turning arrow with a line through it) you can't make the turn....if the sign is off then go ahead and make the turn....then program the on off switch to the times you want to make it illegal

Really? wouldn't it be as simple as if the sign is on (ie displaying a red turning arrow with a line through it) you can't make the turn....if the sign is off then go ahead and make the turn....then program the on off switch to the times you want to make it illegal
I'd think most drivers would want the signage to know when the times are, so they can decide which way to drive before they see the sign.

I'd think most drivers would want the signage to know when the times are, so they can decide which way to drive before they see the sign.

Good point but aren't we moving to a world where this is all done online for us......so if the idea is to plan your route ahead of time you would go online or have your device plan it for you?

If you are waiting until you are within eyesight of the sign you really have decided which route you are gonna drive....you have just driven along the road.

Good point but aren't we moving to a world where this is all done online for us......so if the idea is to plan your route ahead of time you would go online or have your device plan it for you?

If you are waiting until you are within eyesight of the sign you really have decided which route you are gonna drive....you have just driven along the road.
Personally, I simply make a mental note of the signs, so when I drive, I know ahead of time.

Personally, I simply make a mental note of the signs, so when I drive, I know ahead of time.

I know most of the no turn times for a lot of the core and my general route from downtown to my house - but if you did not have the times listed, you might think you could never make a left onto University from King, for example. But the reality is its only banned for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week (for this intersection). Really, the City would probably waste thousands of dollars removing the old signs - let's just call it saving money and move on

The new signs really stand out.
Walking down King, I was surprised at how little the ones at Jarvis jumped out at me, at least when turned off. I'd have thought they'd have been a lot closer to the centre of the intersection and in my face while turning left, as opposed to being lost at the side.

Also, I noticed that streets west of Jarvis (Church, etc.), it looks like the no left turn signs had been recently modified from 7-9 AM and 4-6 pm to 7-10 AM and 3 to 7 PM (if I remember correctly). But not Jarvis itself, and further east.

Back