News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

BurlOak, I think you will agree then, It should go to McCowan and Finch, not sheppard. They need to get more funding.

Until they start digging, I still have not accepted the B-D Subway extension and prefer the Eglinton-SRT route to serve NE Scarborough. This line would connect to B-D at Kennedy and the DRL at Don Mills and the Yonge and Spadina line as well - great redundancy in case there is some problems on one of the routes. It seemed quite poor planning (or funding) to stop the line at Sheppard - one station before the planned terminal station. I would actually prefer to build the Eglinton-SRT line all the way to Malvern and maybe even Finch so that some Finch West passengers would travel east, instead of all west to the Yonge line.

The problem I see with the B-D extension (and the Transit City SLRT) is that it funnels all downtown bound riders through Y-B Station. Even when the DRL is built, passengers would only have one option to transfer before the packed Y-B station.

I wouldn't put money on that.

Agreed. Even if he was arrested and in a jail cell, he wouldn't be forced to resign. He has the option to resign in the best interests of the city, but Ford doesn't care much about the best interests of the city.

That leaves prosecution of political corruption and an election.

Unless he used city resources to obtain the drugs, there is no political corruption here.

Contemporary legal practice in Canada is that drug users are almost never prosecuted unless they are caught red-handed. So, Ford is probably safe on that account. If he was involved in trafficking or laundering, it would be quite another matter.

Of course, any sensible administrator would resign in this situation anyway. Even if he is not legally imperiled, his ability to lead is greatly compromised. Then again, a sensible administrator would not get himself in this situation in the first place.

Now that Ford appears to have self-destructed would it be possible for City Council to grow a pair and revert to the originally planned Scarborough LRT, while putting the $660 million from the feds into east/west extensions of the Eglinton LRT?

Now that Ford appears to have self-destructed would it be possible for City Council to grow a pair and revert to the originally planned Scarborough LRT, while putting the $660 million from the feds into east/west extensions of the Eglinton LRT?

No. The provincial government also favours a subway extension over the LRT plan. I also doubt council will re-vote for the LRT. The LRT plan is dead.

Canceling Scarborough Subway now, after it has been announced and captured all headlines, will trigger huge resentment in Scarborough and endanger future transit funding in other corridors (as there will be a large voting block that wants to block any transit taxes just out of revenge).

Btw, Ford was not the main proponent of Scarborough Subway; Stintz and some Scarborough councilors were. Ford had it in his election platform, then abandoned it in favor of Sheppard subway, and came aboard again when large part of the work has been done.

With Scarborough Subway in place, there is a chance to build LRT on Sheppard, and then get funding for the Downtown - Don Mills subway.

IMO cancelling the plan yet again, just because of an administration change, is the kind of insane thinking that at least partly explains why Toronto never gets past planning transit to building transit. We have a plan, flawed or not, that council approved. Let's build and keep building. We have lots of plans. Toronto needs so much more public transit that basically all of these plans are needed.

Hopefully, these new subway stations in Scarborough will have interesting architecture and art for a change on the Bloor-Danforth line. I used to commute from the Junction to Scarborough. To see the same generic station design 25 times (one way) in your commute is boring and unsatisfactory.

Last edited:
Hopefully, these new subway stations in Scarborough will have interesting architecture and art for a change on the Bloor-Danforth line. I used to commute from the Junction to Scarborough. To see the same generic station design 25 times (one way) in your commute is boring and unsatisfactory.

Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath on this. One thing I don't like about going the subway route is that there will not be a lot of extra money to go above and beyond with. For example, while a stop in the Brimley, Eglinton, and Danforth area would likely bring in a lot of riders, there is little room financially to add it in.

The stops will likely be nicer than what is along the rest of the line, but nothing close to what is along the Spadina line. My bet is that they will look about as nice as those along Sheppard, more or less.

Unfortunately I'm not holding my breath on this. One thing I don't like about going the subway route is that there will not be a lot of extra money to go above and beyond with. For example, while a stop in the Brimley, Eglinton, and Danforth area would likely bring in a lot of riders, there is little room financially to add it in.

The stops will likely be nicer than what is along the rest of the line, but nothing close to what is along the Spadina line. My bet is that they will look about as nice as those along Sheppard, more or less.
If a station cannot be added in the near future, then there should be a rough-in, just like when the Yonge Line was extended to Finch that had a rough-in for what would later be North York Centre station.

If a station cannot be added in the near future, then there should be a rough-in, just like when the Yonge Line was extended to Finch that had a rough-in for what would later be North York Centre station.

Was there a rough in, or was it just that they deliberately left a flat portion of track that could be used for a future station. I think Willowdale on the Sheppard line is the same thing - no actual structure, just a level portion of track.

I think they can be made unique and superior to the Sheppard line, if not as exuberant as the Spadina line with its international architects. It's not hard to do.

Back