2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 488     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...or-once-eager-federal-conservatives-1.2307414

While most Conservatives stayed mum on the subject of Ford, one Conservative MP from Brampton-Springdale told reporters in Ottawa that he supported the Toronto mayor.

Rob Ford is a great mayor, I support him," Parm Gill told reporters after question period on Thursday. "I think he's doing a wonderful job. I know people in Toronto are very happy with the way he's running the city. I look forward to working with him.

What, does this guy owe Ford money? Did he lose a bet? What would possess someone to tie themselves to a sinking ship?

I'm told that The Toronto Star is going to sue Rob and Doug Ford in a massive defamation suit now that the facts have come out. The Fords may lose everything they have.

This would be absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it would bolster Ford Nation's and right-wing talk radio's narrative that the Star has an agenda and is out to ruin Robbie. Although, at this point that might not even be a concern for them.

It's because in their minds they have finally sidelined someone who was ruining their good times."

Does she really believe the junk she writes?

There's a saying that goes something like,"if your job requires not knowing something, you'll become adept at not knowing it."

Sue-Ann's been paid for ages to make crass, inflammatory commentary. It's never been about Ford or Miller or Lastman; it's been about selling papers. That's something she happens to do quite well. She's not going to stop now.

Unfortunately, her style of commentary and the election of Ford were a perfect storm. She could feed on the ignorants, racists, tea-partyesque "hosers" and give herself even more worth to the sun by promoting the hell out of what that group saw as their champion. It was at least partly because of her that Ford got into the Mayor's seat, as a *columnist* who conveniently "broke" the Rob Ford/Oxycontin story, taking the edge off a story that could've done serious damage to his campaign.

Now that champ has fallen, she doesn't want to lose those readers, so she'll continue to make Ford—and more importantly that ignorant group of far-right-leaning readers—victims of oppression by progressives. I'm certain that deep down she knows backing Ford was a stupid thing to do. Seriously, how could any self-respecting lesbian put up with the homophobic actions and remarks Ford has made *publicly* over the years; but the worst she can do is make herself look weak to her target market.

Ford never mattered. Her paycheque matters. To her it's just a menial job.

She took an awful lot of vacations last year, and I have a feeling her move to Queen's Park was as a demotion or a sideline. The Sun wanted to stop feeding the beast, because they knew something like this was coming, especially after May. I also believe (based on her twitter very pro-Ford comments in the past days; even yesterday) that this article wasn't her idea.

James D:

At this point why do we even care about converting that 25% of the population? I am more interested in chasing them away from the city and get them to live in Vaughan instead.

AoD

Yes, let's round them up in camps and ship them out...

What, does this guy owe Ford money? Did he lose a bet? What would possess someone to tie themselves to a sinking ship?

HAHAH... must have lost a bet - or Ford and Deco labels must have thrown him a few fundraisers

I'm told that The Toronto Star is going to sue Rob and Doug Ford in a massive defamation suit now that the facts have come out. The Fords may lose everything they have.

Funny thing is, 'pilling on' may have the opposite affect and draw those to defend the guy. Persecuting a drug addict is pretty hypocritical, especially from a the group that's constantly pushing 'safe injection sites' and legalization of dope.

This would be absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it would bolster Ford Nation's and right-wing talk radio's narrative that the Star has an agenda and is out to ruin Robbie. Although, at this point that might not even be a concern for them.

You were right about in the first part of your post. It would be absolutely brilliant. Not only would they be able to cross examine the Fords and show them for the liars they are but it could hasten the release of the crack video. Because the crown is in possession of this evidence, the judge presiding over the libel suit would want to see it.

Funny thing is, 'pilling on' may have the opposite affect and draw those to defend the guy. Persecuting a drug addict is pretty hypocritical, especially from a the group that's constantly pushing 'safe injection sites' and legalization of dope.

Those who will defend this guy will defend him regardless. As to hypocrisy, interesting how you neglected to mention his worships own behaviour eh? I am not a thug-hugger, and I certainly wouldn't want a mayor to be one after he has chastized others (falsely) for being so.

AoD

Last edited:
I don't understand how we're still stuck with the guy, does the province and the city have no power? Can you not impeach a municipal politician? A vote of non-confidence?

It's the typical Ford MO - deny it until you can't possibly deny it any more because irrefutable proof comes out - and once it does, deny it and spin it in your favour, and change the narrative. You can't control the narrative if the video hasn't been seen.

It's pretty much every politician's 'MO', of all stripes.

I don't understand how we're still stuck with the guy, does the province and the city have no power? Can you not impeach a municipal politician? A vote of non-confidence?

Simply put, not at the municipal level other than very clearly defined instances - the province has that power, but understandably would loath to use it.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back