941     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Mark Towey certainly felt like he was angling for some new job when he was on the radio yesterday. Trying to position himself as above the scandal while coming across as implicit in it. He sounded really sketchy to me.

I follow him on Twitter and that is consistent with his Tweets... He occasionally makes subtle jabs without names on twitter though if you are observant.

Hey, remember when we speculated wildly about GFL being a front for something else and the mayor being involved?

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/396236890614923264
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/t...ay-to-the-front/article559083/?service=mobile

"Industry observers agree: GFL emerged from relative obscurity"

"After graduating from Ryerson, Mr. Dovigi got his first exposure to waste management in 2002 when he joined Brovi Investments, a holding company owned by Romeo Di Battista Sr."

The garbage business is very profitable, without doing anything extra. I always wondered about GFL and whether the fix was in when Ford rushed to privatize everything. Their bid was too low for the garbage contract- and now they're trying to sue the City for extra money for the work on the Pan Am swimming pool (they got the contract for that too).

Oh! And CBC confirmed this morning that the police approached the mayor on Wednesday for questioning but Ford refused on legal advice. So MetroMan was right about the timeline. My own two cents? The Crown will try to plea bargain Lisi to get Price and Ford.

As for why they didn't pinch Ford earlier (as per Clayton Ruby), they were clearly going after something much bigger. See Ford's meetings with GFL head in a club in Etobicoke.

The influence peddling/corruption angle would make a lot of things make more sense. As the details started coming out yesterday, my first reaction was, yes, it's really bad that Ford was getting wasted on the job, hanging out with lowlifes, etc., but at the same time it all sounded like small-time stuff. Hardly worth a months-long investigation and untold hours of manpower. Why would six-man surveillance teams be needed to confirm that the mayor likes to skip off work and drink Purple Jesuses, lost his cellphone like a moron, and wishes he was a tough guy? Even the sale of the crack video phone would be a very minor crime, seen in that light. Yes, the video would be damning for the mayor, but TPS must have known they wouldn't be able to make a drug charge stick to Ford based on the video. And if all they wanted to do was nail him for drugs, they had ample opportunity with all those clumsy drop-offs.

Now if only the other shoe would drop and they could show some connection to Doug. I would hate that they cut the puppet's strings only for the puppet master to get away

Doug was just on 640 AM - damage control time!

He didn't sound himself today, he only used a couple of the familiar slogans, but we have a new one for our list; "holier than thou". He really doesn't know when to just STFU does he?

Various comments, mostly from the right wing, about how left-wingers are so in favour of "being nice to addicts" have hit home for me, because in the course of my work I've come into contact with people with pretty serious substance abuse issues fairly regularly, and I believe very strongly that the best way for our society to support them is through harm reduction strategies and a focus on treatment. At the end of the day, though, while I (try to) feel compassion toward Ford on a personal level, on a political level, that personal compassion shouldn't outweigh the need for an honest assessment of his capacity to carry on in his role as mayor. No one, least of all the media, needs to shy away from that.

This is a trick to use your compassion against you, or to suggest hypocrisy. It's complete bullshit. I have serious concern for addicts and believe they should be helped. I do not want them in my employ, however, until they have their addiction under control. The right tries the same tactic regarding discrimination. "If you're so tolerant why don't you tolerate bigots?" It's illogical but is designed to prey on the left's self-reflection (something the right jettisoned ages ago in favour of talking points: Trudeau's pot use, Benghazi, etc.etc.).

It's time again to trot out all those familiar enabling excuses for the mayor's bad behaviour--difficult childhood, pressures of the job, etc. Which all sound great until he drives over your eight-year-old daughter in a boozy haze. Oops.

It's time again to trot out all those familiar enabling excuses for the mayor's bad behaviour--difficult childhood, pressures of the job, etc. Which all sound great until he drives over your eight-year-old daughter in a boozy haze. Oops.

jesus, that escalated quickly...

Doug was just on 640 AM - damage control time!

He didn't sound himself today, he only used a couple of the familiar slogans, Jbut we have a new one for our list; "holier than thou". He really doesn't know when to just STFU does he?
Hey, it took him 24 hours to say anything. Possibly a new record.

I think it hilarious that Ford's lawyer wants the video released. I think the more damning part of it isn't what he is doing, but what he is saying. When that video is released, it will utterly destroy his political career.

I'm banking on the rationale being that they've come up with some form of plausible deniability. Something along the lines of what I suggested before - "Oh, that's a gag I do with my buddies sometimes just to get a laugh" or "That was ______ in the pipe which isn't illegal or any kind of addictive drug" - he'll admit to having a few beers sometimes and that's why he seems so out of it, maybe he WAS drunk that one time (who doesn't get drunk from time to time! come onnnnn!) but it's hardly a problem and besides, when you've saved taxpayers a BILLION DOLLARS obviously it's not impairing your job. etc etc etc

once that narrative is out there, they probably think it'll neutralize the entire thing

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...or-once-eager-federal-conservatives-1.2307414

"A scheduled photo-op with Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Calgary was suddenly cancelled "due to a change in schedule" on the first day of the party's Calgary convention after Toronto police Chief Bill Blair stunned Torontonians with the announcement."

Look who's throwing his friends under the bus/subway. :D

Well, at the rate Harper is throwing his friends under the bus, he probably wouldn't have many left (though it is arguable he had friends in the first place).

AoD

I think it hilarious that Ford's lawyer wants the video released. I think the more damning part of it isn't what he is doing, but what he is saying. When that video is released, it will utterly destroy his political career.

I keep rolling this over and over - What is Ford's lawyer's strategy here? Is he hoping seeing the actual video will be less damaging than just imagining what might be on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back