1.4K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.3K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am neither right nor left wing--I think both are really just the same and ultimately controlled by big biz--but I've always been slightly puzzled as to why UT members lean towards the left while supporting what is really a very right wing industry--the development & construction biz.

The management and executives may lean to the Conservative party, but there is nothing inherently conservative about development, especially urban redevelopment.

Ford isn't Conservative. He is populist (so are the PCs). One of the worst political ideologies to have. It focuses on doing what's popular rather than what's right.

Yup, which is why I think that people should ditch this ship and look for someone better. Perhaps it's time to start looking around for some promising people who could lead that front instead of Ford and his brother.

That's a dangerous wager when he has between 25% - 35% support.

He will win again if there are three or four leftist candidates running against him. But if the left can get their campaigns in order and only run one or two candidates against him, he won't have much of a chance.

I have a feeling that the left will be very organized next election.

The "left" is always very organized at the municipal level in Toronto. I think a lot of people underestimate the divide between the downtown core, and "suburbs". I doubt there will be a lot of support for "left" candidates like Chow or say Vaughan, outside the old city of Toronto.

That's a dangerous wager when he has between 25% - 35% support.

He will win again if there are three or four leftist candidates running against him. But if the left can get their campaigns in order and only run one or two candidates against him, he won't have much of a chance.

I have a feeling that the left will be very organized next election.

Indeed. It's more likely that the right of center vote will be split. I expect a candidate like Karen Stintz who appeals to the "blue bloods" who find Ford uncouth but won't vote for the left to run as well. There's a floor of about 33% for center-right candidates in municipal elections so Ford's 36% in a one on one with Olivia Chow isn't that impressive.

Last edited:
Indeed. It's more likely that the right of center vote will be split. I expect a "blue blood" type candidate like Karen Stintz to run as well. There's a floor of about 33% for center-right candidates in municipal elections so Ford's 36% in a one on one with Olivia Chow isn't that impressive.

I think in a head to head election, Olivia ("I lived in subsidize housing while on council with my husband") Chow will lose to Ford. If the best people this city can put forward are Chow and Ford, we are in trouble.

The "left" is always very organized at the municipal level in Toronto. I think a lot of people underestimate the divide between the downtown core, and "suburbs". I doubt there will be a lot of support for "left" candidates like Chow or say Vaughan, outside the old city of Toronto.

I don't think it's Vaughan's time. Olivia has a lot of appeal in the suburbs, Jack Layton was quite popular in Scarborough and the federal NDP won 2 seats there and came very close in a third one.

Last edited:
Hug a thug? Who cares--there will always be ppl attracted to drugs, dealing, crime. I used to work with plenty of "thugs" some whom even lived in Dixon City.

Your question was:

If the mayor was left wing & had the same allegations against him, would folks on UT be getting the dirt on him too?

Speaking only on behalf of myself, I asked:

Would this hypothetical left wing mayor hold the same "hug-a-thug" policy positions as Rob Ford when it comes to dealing with crime and drug users?

My point is that a left wing mayor would likely be less draconian than Ford in his/her approach to drug users. Part of the reaction to Ford supposedly using hard drugs is the element of hypocrisy, given his hard line on the issue epitomized by his use of "hug-a-thug" in reference to youth programs targeting drugs and gangs.

He is not the best "conservative" candidate out there. Not by a long shot. I really hope much more capable people decide to run next election.

But I can't help but think that a good, capable person (is probably already successful at what they do) will sit back and ask if they really need to be part of the circus that is City Hall. I think the best people would simply pass.

About that,

one of the single most destructive things the Ford brothers have done is the perversion of liberal and conservative politics.

Best example of this is the whole subway vs. LRT fiasco. Can anyone here please explain to me why LRTs are considered to be "liberal" and subways are "conservative". I can't see the logic in it. It seems like it should be a very non-partisan thing to me. Both liberal and conservative leaning Council members should be supporting what has been shown to be the best transit by urban planners.

Of course. I don't think we'll see the core and suburbs support the same candidate in a long time.

I think in a head to head election, Olivia ("I lived in subsidize housing while on council with my husband") Chow will lose to Ford.

"In a one-on-one match-up between NDP MP Olivia Chow and the mayor, Chow wins with more than half the vote, 56 per cent, to about a third for the mayor (36 per cent), according to a poll released Sunday by Forum Research Inc."

So you believe that the poll is more than 20 points off?

About that,

one of the single most destructive things the Ford brothers have done is the perversion of liberal and conservative politics.

Best example of this is the whole subway vs. LRT fiasco. Can anyone here please explain to me why LRTs are considered to be "liberal" and subways are "conservative". I can't see the logic in it. It seems like it should be a very non-partisan thing to me. Both liberal and conservative leaning Council members should be supporting what has been shown to be the best transit by urban planners.

Well the NDP had heavily politicized City of Toronto politics before the mega city. As well as the heavily politicized unions. The Fords used the entire "lefties" thing as a campaign focus, but I wouldn't attribute partisan politics in City Hall to them.

I think partisan politics have no place in municipal government. The whole "left wing" "right wing" thing is ridiculous at the municipal level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back