37     0 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 265     0 
News   Jun 05, 2024
 545     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, this is a Rob Ford thread, so why bring up McGuity or Harper. If you want to vent your anger at them, open threads about them and vent there and don't try to derail this thread about ROB FORD by bringing them up.

You don't make any sense. The same way I might use buildings in other cities in a thread about say L Tower, I am comparing the treatment other politicians get compared to Rob Ford from the media. I don't understand what the problem is.

I've heard plenty of interviews with people in Ford's riding over the past week. The usual response seems to be: "I called the Mayor about a pothole on my street and within 2 days it was fixed. I think the Mayor's great and people should stop picking on him."

I completely understand why people who live in Ford's riding would continue to support him despite all the accusations swirling around. It's not that they're being irrational, it's that 10 years of doggedly answering phone calls has allowed Ford to establish concrete relationships with thousands of people that completely overshadow things they hear about in the media.

This is one of the take away points from Barack Obama's 2012 victory. Face to face communication is far, far more effective than media in establishing loyal voters. That's why Barack Obama's strategy of having a lot of volunteers knocking on doors overcame the Republican PAC attack ads.

I for one do not believe he takes all these calls he claims to take. Doug once said 400 calls daily Lets do the math. Taking 2 mins for each call at least, thats 30 calls per hour and 360 calls in 12 hours. So Rob is on the phone for 12 hours a day taking calls from people? When does he have time for his coaching, never mind what he was elected for which was to govern the city. Why do people never call him out on this farce that he claims to be doing. I tried calling him once at City Hall and could not get through. His assistant took the call and said to my issue 'What do you think the mayor could do"?

I thought you don't gamble.

AoD

He's involved in real estate.

Anyhow, all this talk of reelecting Rob Ford seriously puzzles me. Why won't his supporters back a better candidate? Why do people consider Ford the best conservative candidate out there?

Ford is conservative in name only. He's a perversion of conservative ideals.

You don't make any sense. The same way I might use buildings in other cities in a thread about say L Tower, I am comparing the treatment other politicians get compared to Rob Ford from the media. I don't understand what the problem is.

While you might say that now, your previous post was actually belly-aching about other levels of government, and then saying "they don't get scrutinized as much as Ford". A bit more analysis rather than complaint might help.

How is that not making any sense? We are talking about ROB FORD, you are attempting to move attention off Ford by bringing up irrelevant people who don't have anything to do with Ford or what we are talking about at this moment. How is McGunity or Harper involved in the scandals currently happening in Toronto that we are talking about in this thread?

I am neither right nor left wing--I think both are really just the same and ultimately controlled by big biz--but I've always been slightly puzzled as to why UT members lean towards the left while supporting what is really a very right wing industry--the development & construction biz.

I am willing to wager that if he runs again he will win.

That's a dangerous wager when he has between 25% - 35% support.

He will win again if there are three or four leftist candidates running against him. But if the left can get their campaigns in order and only run one or two candidates against him, he won't have much of a chance.

I have a feeling that the left will be very organized next election.

OK, fair enough. So how *do* other crack-smoking politicians with drug-dealing associates get treated in the media?

Anyhow, all this talk of reelecting Rob Ford seriously puzzles me. Why won't his supporters back a better candidate? Why do people consider Ford the best conservative candidate out there?

Ford isn't Conservative. He is populist (so are the PCs). One of the worst political ideologies to have. It focuses on doing what's popular rather than whats right.

He is not the best "conservative" candidate out there. Not by a long shot. I really hope much more capable people decide to run next election.

But I can't help but think that a good, capable person (is probably already successful at what they do) will sit back and ask if they really need to be part of the circus that is City Hall. I think the best people would simply pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back