News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

Xtra reports that the Big Johnson's space is planning to be re-opened as a bar + grill.

Isn't that what it was before? Oh well. Curious to see how they go for round two. Wasn't the failure of round one due lack of funds to pay rent, poor service, poor mangement, etc? There better be some quick-smart new mangement team involved — especially if they're keeping the same name.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's a sign on the door evicting the operators for rental arrears.

Isn't that what it was before? Oh well. Curious to see how they go for round two. Wasn't the failure of round one due lack of funds to pay rent, poor service, poor mangement, etc? There better be some quick-smart new mangement team involved — especially if they're keeping the same name.

The article said that it's new ownership or some such. It's not Big Johnson re-opening.

According to the Xtra article, Big Johnson's didn't succeed because the restaurant name was too sexualized and not a good fit for the Village.

Um, try again. It failed because the food was mediocre, the service crap, the management seemingly non-existent, the lack of debit or credit machine frustrating, and the loud, shitty rock music annoying. The name of a restaurant is probably the last thing I consider when deciding where to eat.

Here's hoping a decently-run space opens up...

Some things I wish were available in the village:
  • Montreal-style bagels like Reither's used to sell (have to go east to Epicure or Cabbagetown Organics to get them)
  • A bakery -- I'd settle for more fresh bread choices at Pusateri -- they sell out of Ace sandwich bread almost daily which forces me to visit Loblaws even though I want to shop local.
  • Fresh ground peanut butter (have to go north to Noah's or east to Health Service Centre/Lennie's).
  • Enchilada sauce -- Loblaws, Metro, Sobeys, and No Frills all carried it for a few years but then all stopped. The market was probably over served with nobody making money but is now completely underserved. Now I have to go back to Kensington or St. Lawrence.
  • A pizza place for dining in. Lots of take out, not much dining in. Magic Oven is great, but no traditional places.
  • A hardware store with more selection. Dudley's is nice and very helpful, but they stock so little. I'm always having to go to Home Hardware or Canadian Tire to find what I need.

By the way, Como en Casa on Yonge just north of Wellesley has great authentic Mexican. A welcome addition.

It appears they are above a place called Bombay Express. When did that open up?

i think spring 2012. been there a few times but i'm not any expert on indian food.
my only real complaint about this place is their take-out containers.
they use clam-shell styrofoam boxes that don't have good seals so the sauces of the dishes leak out too easily and the bag gets all messy and you lose all the yummy goodness.

Last edited:
Some things I wish were available in the village:
  • Montreal-style bagels like Reither's used to sell (have to go east to Epicure or Cabbagetown Organics to get them)

It's also not in the village but Metro at Yonge/College sells St. Viateur bagels from Montreal.

Apparently, Super Freshmart is going to have some kind of renovation since there's signs up about a renovation sale.

Back