News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 351     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 911     1 

Church-Wellesley Village

I thought this was going to become a poutinerie location. Hhmpf.
Is this the 'Garage' that is an independent business that makes those tasty sandwiches? They had a bit of space to themselves just north of Wellesley about six years ago, but they've been in the back of Pusateri's these last few years. Or might it be another bar or restaurant?

I thought this was going to become a poutinerie location. Hhmpf.
Is this the 'Garage' that is an independent business that makes those tasty sandwiches? They had a bit of space to themselves just north of Wellesley about six years ago, but they've been in the back of Pusateri's these last few years. Or might it be another bar or restaurant?

that's a big jump from the back of a grocery store to full fledged restaurant !?!

Super Fresh Mart is now closed, as is The Church Street Diner (again). Lots of change.

I didn't notice any sign posted, just the front door and windows papered up. Two or three days ago I briefly noticed guys moving stuff either up or down from the second floor as I passed by, I didn't know it was even in use so I don't know what that was about.

I really liked going to the Church Street diner, especially after the renovation. But their hours are whackadoodle. Every time my friend and I have thought of wandering by for some dinner or a late luch, they've been closed without fail.

I really liked going to the Church Street diner, especially after the renovation. But their hours are whackadoodle. Every time my friend and I have thought of wandering by for some dinner or a late luch, they've been closed without fail.

They used to close early too, like at 7 or 8pm (?!).
An amendment to my post above, I walked by about 5:30am with my dog and the paper had been taken down from the windows & door and now there is a "Minor Variance" green sign in the window for an outdoor patio out back. Their menu is on display too in framed box at the bottom of the stairs, I can't remember if it had been taken down a few days ago or not. I looked inside but no lights were on and it was still dark out, so I couldn't tell what was going on in there.
On an unrelated note, the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association's AGM will be held on Tues. Jan. 22nd, 7pm at the 519 Community Centre and all are welcome (those who live, work or play in the Village).

Last edited:
Not sure on how accurate this is but just heard that the Pharma Plus next to the TD is also going to be split into two stores.

Not sure on how accurate this is but just heard that the Pharma Plus next to the TD is also going to be split into two stores.

then they must be leaving b/c there's no way Pharma Plus would work in a space 1/2 as large

Could Loblaws have taken a toll on Pharma Plus too?! Why not close the Rexall across the street? I don't know how they survive as is.

It's easy to blame Loblaws for these Church street store closings but the fact is the ridiculous rents being charged by the greedy landlords on Church St make it difficult for any business to make a profit. The Churwell Centre in particular has sky-high rents. For instnce the rent on the space that Zelda's occupied was $30,000 a month! It was to go up to $35,000 a month so Zelda's picked up and left. I could see Pharma plus downsizing to half the store space as opposed to closing down altogether. As long as they have space for the pharmacy that is where they make all the money. I can't see them giving up that gold-mine.

It's easy to blame Loblaws for these Church street store closings but the fact is the ridiculous rents being charged by the greedy landlords on Church St make it difficult for any business to make a profit. The Churwell Centre in particular has sky-high rents. For instnce the rent on the space that Zelda's occupied was $30,000 a month! It was to go up to $35,000 a month so Zelda's picked up and left. I could see Pharma plus downsizing to half the store space as opposed to closing down altogether. As long as they have space for the pharmacy that is where they make all the money. I can't see them giving up that gold-mine.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...or-yonge-street-where-it-will-surely-re-camp/

according to the above toronto life article, the rent was $28K and was to go up to $34K.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...ees-church-st-losing-its-gay-village-identity

while another one says from $27K to $35K ... keep in mind, we don't know the details of the commercial lease.
zelda's was there for 9 years and it could have been the same rents since day 1, or maybe there were escalations throughout, etc.
unfortunately, none of the articles mentioned if the rent was gross (excluding utilities) or triple net (excluding utilities).

anyhow, how big was the former place? 5,000 sq ft indoor + 1/2 that size (2,500 sq ft) patio?

easy to blame the landlord, but i can tell you as a landlord, none of the former tenants i had ever put leasehold improvements to warrant the discount. i could have done so much more in improving the building, etc with the thousands of dollars i didn't collect and landlords have mortgages to pay too.

Back