News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 581     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Scott's was the original Canadian rights holder personally signed by Sanders.

"Friedrich Alfred Krupp would be proud."
MY QUOTE.

Anyone having read the book "The Arms of Krupp" should understand my above quote.

In any case, Herr Krupp, when building his famous "Villa Hugel" in Essen, Germany,

had his bedroom located above the horse stables, the ventilation of which (the stables)

"communicated" with this upper room. The reason, well, he had a reason.

Regards,
J T

Then and Now for March 14, although it felt like June 14th today, temperature wise.

Then. Two views of 60 King Street West. The first, wwwebster tells me, is c1920. The one below that is a later pic I found at the online Toronto Archives.

44960KingWestc1920.jpg

449a.jpg

Now. September 2011.

450lowrez.jpg

And here is a picture, also from the online Toronto Archives, of Toronto's vanished copy of the Temple of Portunus in its street context. It's in the middle right distance. At least I'm guessing that's what the architects were shooting for. I could be somewhat in error on this point. If I'm right, consider this an original bit of research. :)

451.jpg

451a.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Portunus

Last edited:
"Friedrich Alfred Krupp would be proud."
MY QUOTE.

Anyone having read the book "The Arms of Krupp" should understand my above quote.

In any case, Herr Krupp, when building his famous "Villa Hugel" in Essen, Germany,

had his bedroom located above the horse stables, the ventilation of which (the stables)

"communicated" with this upper room. The reason, well, he had a reason.

Regards,
J T

In addition to 'The Arms of Krupp', William Manchester also wrote 'Death of a President'. I've only read these two but both are history-as-thriller; great reads.

Then and Now for March 14, although it felt like June 14th today, temperature wise.

Then. Two views of 60 King Street West. The first, wwwebster tells me, is c1920. The one below that is a later pic I found at the online Toronto Archives.

44960KingWestc1920.jpg

449a.jpg

Now. September 2011.

450.jpg

And here is a picture, also from the online Toronto Archives, of Toronto's vanished copy of the Temple of Portunus in its street context. It's in the middle right distance. At least I'm guessing that's what the architects were shooting for. I could be somewhat in error on this point. If I'm right, consider this an original bit of research. :)

451.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Portunus

Mustapha:

Forgive me, but your "Now" is on the wrong block. You should have photographed the podium of FCP west of Bay, not Scotia Plaza.

Mustapha:

Forgive me, but your "Now" is on the wrong block. You should have photographed the podium of FCP west of Bay, not Scotia Plaza.

Thank you thecharioteer. I called in a favour with a colleague who works down there to take a picture and it's corrected. [faceslaps self]. :)

Thank you thecharioteer. I called in a favour with a colleague who works down there to take a picture and it's corrected. [faceslaps self]. :)

Are we sure of this? In the last then shot (with cross sign) would we not be seeing the Bank Of Nova Scotia building to the east of what is being built? What is being built there anyway?

"the Bank Of Nova Scotia building to the east of what is being built?"
QUOTE mattelderca.

The building at the extreme left, is The Toronto Star Building, with the now demolished new BOM being erected. (N/W corner.)

The Bank of Nova Scotia has yet to be built on the now removed Cawthra site. (N/E corner.)

Regards,
J T

"the Bank Of Nova Scotia building to the east of what is being built?"
QUOTE mattelderca.

The building at the extreme left, is The Toronto Star Building, with the now demolished new BOM being erected. (N/W corner.)

The Bank of Nova Scotia has yet to be built on the now removed Cawthra site. (N/E corner.)

Regards,
J T

Yep. I have an aerial photo of the same intersection showing the completed BOM, the BNS building in progress across the street, the Royal Trust building, and the little "temple" building in between.

Some major changes in 105 years on Pape Ave. at Harcourt.
The 1907 photo notes a tent on the N/W corner, church property.

Pape-Harcourt1907.jpg

Pape-Harcourt2012.jpg

Some major changes in 105 years on Pape Ave. at Harcourt.
The 1907 photo notes a tent on the N/W corner, church property.

Pape-Harcourt1907.jpg

Pape-Harcourt2012.jpg

Both are very interesting wide angle views. You borrowed some neat lens to duplicate that view, Goldie?

I wonder how long those wooden sidewalks lasted. Our boardwalk along the waterfront lasts about 20 years I think, just a guess, and the boards are suspended above the sand/soil.

No "neat lens," just two frames stitched together - PhotoShop Elements does it easily and superbly.

Another example of stitched panoramas.
Construction on Ellesmere, W. of Markham Rd., 2008
And finished stores, 2012

EllesmereEatDollyVarden2008.jpg

EllesmereEatDollyVarden2012.jpg

Then and Now for March 15.

Then. 130-132 Yonge. "Huyler's Store Building." c1909. To the right of the Huyler's Store just peeking out is the Birks store that - memorably for some of us - was located on the SW corner of Yonge and Temperance. The Birks later became a Canadian Tire that had some mighty swanky fixtures.

452130-132Yongec1909.jpg

Now. September 2011. The Huyler's store would have been to the left of the fire hydrant. This whole area was cleared in the 1990s for the Bay Adelaide Centre.

453.jpg

Back