News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 571     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

This is where Kingston Rd. crossed the same Highland Creek Valley (a couple of miles S. of the Military Trail crossing).
Shot from West Hill and looking E. towards Highland Creek Village at the top of the far hill.
Now referred to as Old Kingston Rd.

OldKingstonRdlookingEfromWestHill1.jpg

OldKingstonRdlookingEfromWestHill2012.jpg

Last edited:
Military Trail thru Highland Creek valley - looking E., Scarborough - 1920 & 2012

military-trailoverHighlandCreek1920.jpg

military-trailoverHighlandCreek2012.jpg

Interesting that the home on the left is actually two homes; a semi-detached. One still sees these, more common than you would think, in many parts of the USA.

This is where Kingston Rd. crossed the same Highland Creek Valley (a couple of miles S. of the Military Trail crossing).
Shot from West Hill and looking E. towards Highland Creek Village at the top of the far hill.
Now referred to as Old Kingston Rd.

OldKingstonRdlookingEfromWestHill1.jpg

OldKingstonRdlookingEfromWestHill2012.jpg

Another great comparison Goldie. The Now picture has a wonderful 'film' look to it.

Old signs, Davenport and Christie, SE corner. Formerly a drugstore, this building is now the offices of an interior design company. March 2012.

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

A collection of 'found' photos, as in found at the dump, in abandoned buildings, etc.

http://www.jgouldthorpe.com/jgouldthorpe/collection.html

Thanks for that link, Mustapha.
I'm absolutely fascinated by such photos.
There's a certain mystery involved in being able to look into the private lives of strangers - and therefore imagining the context in which the photo was produced - and why it was discarded.
Here's another such site:
http://www.moderna.org/lookatme/

UTer 'brewster' hasn't been around here in a few weeks.

He has an excellent Flickr album of Toronto Then and Nows that we heard about last fall. I keep going there to have a look:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36903798@N07/6041831520/

I took one of his pictures and created a slightly differently themed Then and Now pair. The Bassels restaurant menu I found online but can't remember where. Bassels was located at the SE corner of Gerrard and Yonge.

6041199757_e6a2cece92_b.jpg

Screenshot2011-04-10at120208PM.png

Last edited:
Heya UTers, I was replacing picture frames here at home and when I pried the back off of one I found this:

DSCF3935.jpg

Woman's Bakery was a chain operation in Toronto that operated up until 1975 or so.

As a child I remember that the products weren't really that memorable. We had the custom of 4:00 tea with pastry in my gramps' store so a daily trip would be made to the nearby bakeries in our Yonge street 'hood. Womans Bakery was one of them and Little Pie Shoppe and Roods were the others.

Chain bakeries don't exist anymore, at least not ones that operate bricks and mortar stores. Tim Hortons and other coffee shops that carry baked goods are their modern replacements I suppose, if you like the taste of massed produced pastry. Small bakeries such as Dufflets produce excellent goods although two butter tarts a week is actually overdoing it for me, and I am toning down the cake intake to once a week. :)

Old uncovered tiles. St Andrew station. March 2012.

The origininal Vitrolite tiles--once used for the majority of the Yonge and University line stations, now still visible in their original glory only at Eglinton station. (They're underneath the long strip-style wall coverings at Osgoode, too).

Note also the original TTC typeface.

Chain bakeries don't exist anymore, at least not ones that operate bricks and mortar stores.

Unless stuff like Cobs and Panera counts (and maybe not, really).

Also don't forget Open Window--in operation until quite recently. (Their rye rolls were some kind of Toronto institution. Though speaking of rye stuff, we shouldn't forget Future's attempt at chain-ing itself in the 90s)

Unless stuff like Cobs and Panera counts (and maybe not, really).

Also don't forget Open Window--in operation until quite recently. (Their rye rolls were some kind of Toronto institution. Though speaking of rye stuff, we shouldn't forget Future's attempt at chain-ing itself in the 90s)

adma, I stand corrected, thanks. Cobs is indeed a true chain bakery - no coffee, no tables, no sandwiches. Panera takes the sandwich experience a notch up from Subway/Quiznos, I think - hope - they will do well - if I see another burrito restaurant... :)

The old Half Way House on Kingston Rd. has always attracted my interest.
When the historic building was moved to Pioneer Village, a modern red-brick Post Office was built on the site.
When the PO moved out a 'fitness centre' moved in.

KingstonRdMidlandc1850.jpg

KingstonRdMidland2012.jpg

KingstonRdHalf-Wayc1920.jpg

KingstonRdHalf-Way2012.jpg

Their claim in the first pic holds no water. (c1850)

In what year was the "Safety Bicycle" invented?

Regards,
J T

Back