News   May 14, 2024
 86     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 935     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Target

True, and that's pretty much right by Vic Park station. I wish they could just snap up Metropolis/10 Dundas East, kick out all the tenants, reno the place and make it a Target :)

AoD

Hope they don't do a scorched-earth rebuild at Shoppers World Danforth--after all, that raked roof is the last visible vestige of a huge Albert Kahn Ford plant...

Of the national list, I find two big surprises:

The lack of stores between Bowmanville and Kingston: The Zellers stores in Cobourg (Northhumberland Mall), Trenton and Belleville (2 locations) were left off both lists. Cobourg should have been a given, considering it has a large trade area. Belleville also punches above its weight class with a huge trade area (when Trenton is included) and a not-too-shabby city population of 45,000, and a trade area close to double that. Oh, and Wal-Mart is taking the only Peterborough location on the list, so Peterborough is not a target market.

Also surprised by adding both Westdale Mall and Sheridan Mall in Mississauga. Sheridan was a bit of a surprise to be left of the first list (a decent location), but surprised to see Westdale on the second (lousy location).

Here's a map the Globe and Mail put together. Note it includes Listowel, Peterborough South, Tillsonburg and Georgetown, which according to an above post, will be taken over by Wal-Mart.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...t-store-near-you/article2178120/?from=2178609

Georgetown's interesting because there's already a Wal-Mart in that mall - Zellers and Wal-Mart being its two anchors. Wal-Mart also just opened a Supercentre on Mississauga Road nearby near Bovaird. Surprising as well that Target wasn't interested in Georgetown, which has no big-box cluster yet to build a new location.

Last edited:
How about a list of Zellers Stores left behind?

So far in the GTA, that would include:
- Centennial Mall, Brampton
- Gerrard Square, Toronto
- Yorkgate Mall, Toronto
- Queensway-Kipling, Toronto

I'm sure there's more.

How about a list of Zellers Stores left behind?

So far in the GTA, that would include:
- Centennial Mall, Brampton
- Gerrard Square, Toronto
- Yorkgate Mall, Toronto
- Queensway-Kipling, Toronto

I'm sure there's more.

Gerrard Square -- Toronto
Sheridan Mall -- Toronto
Cedarbrae Mall -- Toronto

The post had an incomplete list and somehow missed those three.

I meant those stores that neither Zellers nor Wal-Mart wanted. Yorkgate, Queensway-Kipling and Centennial Mall are nowhere to be seen on any potential, likely or confirmed list. I missed the link that said that Wal-Mart would be going into Gerrard Square.

So which locations have nothing going for them?
Centennial Mall
Yorkgate
Queensway
Are completely forgotten up to this point.

I meant those stores that neither Zellers nor Wal-Mart wanted. Yorkgate, Queensway-Kipling and Centennial Mall are nowhere to be seen on any potential, likely or confirmed list. I missed the link that said that Wal-Mart would be going into Gerrard Square.

So which locations have nothing going for them?
Centennial Mall
Yorkgate
Queensway
Are completely forgotten up to this point.

I was not speaking for the other sites but only for Gerrard Square which you did mention. The strange part is how it was missed because if you clicked through on the actual link to the Walmart PR provided by NL, Gerrard Square was the very first one listed under Ontario.

The first 24 stores opening in 13-14 months as targets has been released. All are in Ontario and currently Zellers stores, mostly in the GTA, none east of Lindsay, Orillia the only one north of Newmarket.

Toronto:
Centrepoint
Cloverdale
East York Town Centre
Shoppers World Danforth

905:
Aurora Centre
Burlington Mall
Durham Centre, Ajax
Millcroft Centre, Burlington
Milton Mall
Shoppers World Brampton
Square One
Taunton Power Centre, Whitby

Hamilton Centre Mall, Waterdown, Lindsay Square Mall, Cambridge Centre, London Westmount and London Masonville, Windsor Devonshire, Cambridge Centre, Orillia Square.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1110903--target-to-have-big-footprint-in-gta

The first 24 stores opening in 13-14 months as targets has been released. All are in Ontario and currently Zellers stores, mostly in the GTA, none east of Lindsay, Orillia the only one north of Newmarket.

Toronto:
Centrepoint
Cloverdale
East York Town Centre
Shoppers World Danforth

905:
Aurora Centre
Burlington Mall
Durham Centre, Ajax
Millcroft Centre, Burlington
Milton Mall
Shoppers World Brampton
Trinity Common, Brampton
Square One
Taunton Power Centre, Whitby

Hamilton Centre Mall, Waterdown, Lindsay Square Mall, Cambridge Centre, London Westmount and London Masonville, Windsor Devonshire, Cambridge Centre, Orillia Square.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1110903--target-to-have-big-footprint-in-gta

added one to your 905 list

I'm somewhat surprised Erin Mills isn't on the initial list. But I'm sure it'll be soon enough

Interesting choices.. I'm surprised they choose Shoppers World Brampton over Bramalea (a more mainstream choice I would've thought).

Any idea on when the remaining stores will open up?

There are, likely, two explanations:

1. the Landlord.....SW and Trinity Common are both RioCan centres whilst BCC is owned by Morguard. It likely just indicates that the negotiations with landlords led them to these two centres opening first

2. geography......BCC, like Trinity, serves the Centre-East of Brampton while SW is more of a west/south-west presence.....opening BCC and Trinity first would have weighted their presence in Brampton to be a bit "eastish".

Ho Ho No: Santa wasn't nice to Target

The retailer's December sales disappointed as clothing, housewares and electronics fared poorly. Analysts are questioning its strategy.
Target Corp. didn't get as much holiday cheer as it hoped for.

The Minneapolis-based retailer said Thursday that sales at stores open for at least a year in December, a key growth measure, increased just 1.6 percent vs. an expected 3.1 percent. This was the second consecutive month Target posted a comparable-store gain of less than 2 percent.

The dismal showing, during the crucial holiday shopping season, forced Target to cut its fourth-quarter profit forecast to $1.35 to $1.43 per share compared with its earlier prediction of $1.43 to $1.53 a share. As a result, Target shares dropped nearly 3 percent, or $1.49, to close at $48.51.

Target "disappointed themselves," said Judith Russell, editor of the Robin Report, a newsletter that tracks the retail industry. "They didn't do what they needed to do."

Target's weak performance stands in stark contrast to overall retail industry. The National Retail Federation and International Council of Shopping Centers now think holiday sales will grow closer to 4 percent, considerably higher than their forecasts last fall.

Macy's Inc. said same-store sales grew 6.2 percent, while Ross Stores Inc. reported a comparable-store sales jump of 9 percent.

Overall, Target said food and household essentials, including beauty products, mostly drove its business with same-store sales gains ranging from the mid single digits to low teens.

However, apparel and home furnishings, Target's traditional strengths, fared relatively poorly. Same-store sales for clothing and accessories were up in the low single digits, and housewares dropped in the low single digits.

Even more disappointing was Target's weak sales in electronics, music, books, and movies. The company had spent millions of dollars last year renovating those sections to drive more business.

"December sales were below our expectations," CEO Gregg Steinhafel said in a statement. "In 2012, we'll continue to pursue initiatives designed to deliver compelling value and a superior shopping experience against the backdrop of continued slow and volatile economic growth."

Analysts think Target fumbled with its PFresh grocery format. The retailer has been devoting about 50 percent to 200 percent more space in its stores to fresh produce, meats, and baked goods compared with earlier remodels. Target's strategy rests on the belief that the expanded food assortment would attract more consumers in stores, who, in turn, would buy other merchandise throughout the store.

But that clearly hasn't happened, especially during the holiday season when shoppers focused mainly on buying gifts, said Carol Spieckerman, president of Newmarketbuilders, a retail management strategy firm based in Bentonville, Ark. In fact, the expanded food sections means there was less space in stores for other higher-margin merchandise, she said.

Russell, of the Robin Report, also said Target faces increased competition in categories that it used to see good sales, like clothing, toys, and electronics. In toys, Target was especially aggressive in the holiday shopping season, using promotions to drive sales but which also eroded profits, said Dave Strasser, an analyst with Janney Capital Markets.

If Target stores continue to struggle in 2012, the company's website operations coupled with its expansion into Canada the following year will take on even more importance as the retailer seeks to surpass $100 billion in sales by 2017.

In the meantime, Target needs to better figure out its mix of products, Russell said.

"It's a question of strategy," she said. Target "needs to step back and say what business they want to be in. The company is going through an identity crisis on some level. The food thing is kind of confusing."

Thomas Lee

Modified: January 6, 2012

Back