News   May 02, 2024
 216     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 425     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Yes r937, it's a coincidence that you should mention that.
Just before reading your note, I remembered the tank spill story and accessed these photos.
The old aerodrome fuel tank was found in August of 2010.
I'm willing to bet that some evidence above ground can still be found!

People keep referring to this tank as part of the areodrome, but I am not convinced. In all of the shots of the field, there were little to no structures at this spot. I am more apt to believe this tank was the heating oil tank for the building that is there now. Considering these tanks do not last that long underground, I find it hard to believe that it was there pre WWII. The type of "oil" found in the tank would also indicate what it was originally used for. In the time of the Areodrome it would have been aviation gasoline and not "oil".
The three "hangers" seem to be at the east end of the canada wire buildings. They seem to have been re used for a time by Canada wire as well. This is almost centre in the arieal shot, on the south side of wicksteed. Three in a row.

And the latest house netry is indeed charming!

Last edited:
Then and Now for Dec 22.

Then. 12 Weybourne Cr. c1920 This is in the Lawrence Park area of Toronto. A wwwebster picture.

12WeybourneCrc1920.jpg

Now. July 2011.

CSC_0141.jpg

An absolutely beautiful home.
And such simple and elegant design!
That homeowner should be proud.

Mustapha, do you ever go back to such homes with copies of your "Then & Nows?"
I'm sure such owners would be grateful to see your results.

One significant difference on Weybourne: the entrance porch has been enclosed--which somewhat stodgifies the original Arts & Crafts effect...

Poor detailing:

1) Roof leader (downspout) boxes - at the least 2, missing.

2) Tuck pointing, different colour mortar.

2) Chimney detail (right hand) missing upon rebuild.

Not impressed.

Regards,
J T

Killjoy!
In 191? whatever, they all thought we would be living in something like this come 2011.
space1999cast.jpg

Poor detailing:

1) Roof leader (downspout) boxes - at the least 2, missing.

2) Tuck pointing, different colour mortar.

2) Chimney detail (right hand) missing upon rebuild.

Not impressed.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
An absolutely beautiful home.
And such simple and elegant design!
That homeowner should be proud.

Mustapha, do you ever go back to such homes with copies of your "Then & Nows?"
I'm sure such owners would be grateful to see your results.

Goldie, since you asked, just this past summer I handed over the photocopy I carry with me to get the angles right on my shoots on two occasions. Both were to homeowners in Rosedale. Both photocopies were somewhat tattered from being folded and carried. I gave my email to them so they could get a nice electronic copy to print but strangely I never heard from either of them.

Then and Now for Dec 23.

Then. Back to Lawrence Park. 9 Dinnick Cr. c1920. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

9DinnickCrc1920.jpg

Now. July 2011.

CSC_0138.jpg

I grew up in the area and bicycled through that area extensively as a child. I was always amazed by the number of "Nissan Huts" and hangers that were in the area of Research Road. After some reading and long chats with people who had lived in the area since the 1940's I learned that Canada Wire made many of the electrical components for Bomber aircraft. Aditionally the furniture manufactures manufactured the Mosquito Bomber, this may account for the buildings.

"Compare & contrast to Forsey Page's other house in Lawrence Park."

Much better!

Regards,
J T

Mosquito in Leaside & Downsview

I grew up in the area and bicycled through that area extensively as a child. I was always amazed by the number of "Nissan Huts" and hangers that were in the area of Research Road. After some reading and long chats with people who had lived in the area since the 1940's I learned that Canada Wire made many of the electrical components for Bomber aircraft. Aditionally the furniture manufactures manufactured the Mosquito Bomber, this may account for the buildings.

It's certainly possible that Leaside "furniture manufacturers" may have contributed to the de Havilland Mosquito, however the main, local manufacturing facility for that unique aircraft was at the Downsview Airport.
see attachments:

Attachments

• dehavilland-mosquito-via-torontostandard.jpg
    dehavilland-mosquito-via-torontostandard.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 306
  • e000762778.jpg
    e000762778.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 349
  • e000762782.jpg
    e000762782.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 265
It's certainly possible that Leaside "furniture manufacturers" may have contributed to the de Havilland Mosquito, however the main, local manufacturing facility for that unique aircraft was at the Downsview Airport.
see attachments:

And the building that housed the Canadian Air and Space museum, the one that they want to tear down to build an ice rink? Part of that complex. That might even be it in the left-hand photo.

Back