News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 407     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

The Traditional City

Other than the laneways, I think the closest thing in Toronto that has the feel of the "traditional city" is Kensington Market. I would really like to see some neighbourhoods built in this city that aspire to the ideals of the traditional city. There are probably creative ways to reconcile some of those ideals with the practical requirements of 21st century development projects. It may not be for everyone, but Toronto should have a variety of neighbourhood types available for people to live/work/shop/play.

I've often thought that Tokyo provided a great model of what we could do under the Gardiner: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...=WUttAp2uSEhg7GRxA7bVEA&cbp=12,278.81,,0,0.08

So then how do they manage to provide utilities in homes that are on laneways? Because there are some.

Since this thread is your project it may be time for you to get off your ass and do some homework yourself instead of begging others to provide you with information.

Since this thread is your project it may be time for you to get off your ass and do some homework yourself instead of begging others to provide you with information.

Spider, this trolling is getting tiresome. I understand you have some pro-car ideological axe to grind, but if you think this topic is a "waste of time" then perhaps you should stay off this thread.

Spider, this trolling is getting tiresome. I understand you have some pro-car ideological axe to grind, but if you think this topic is a "waste of time" then perhaps you should stay off this thread.

You seem to define a Troll as someone who doesn't share your views, if this is the case I am proud to be declared a Troll.
I am not particularly pro-car, just opposed to the war on cars.
It is abundantly obvious that this topic is a waste of any thinking person's time but if you are amused with it by all means carry on.
I reserve the right to inject contrary opinions if and when I like.

I am not particularly pro-car, just opposed to the war on cars.

There has never been a 'war on the car'. Your line of thought is essentially the same as people declaring that there is a 'war' on white males.

Last edited:
Anyway, back to topic. In terms of Toronto, there was a half-hearted attempt at creating a public, mixed-use laneway in the Market Square condominiums between Front and King, just east of Church. It's actually a really nice space, but could have been a lot livelier if they packed it full of dense retail. I think if Toronto was ever going to try to create spaces with that Tokyo feel, we would probably have to start with condominium complexes building public access lanes that criss-cross between larger streets.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...zl_TqbKUwUyuH9TfGI2h9g&cbp=12,344.6,,0,-12.81

That's a pretty nice laneway, there's the Sculpture Garden there too.

I just realized Burlington has a pretty cool shopping district that looks like a medieval village, although the architecture is more 19th century. It's called Village Square, and contains a mix of historic buildings, reconstructed historic buildings and historically influenced buildings. It looks like someone bought up a city block and built a 5 storey condo with ground retail and parking on the North side and a bunch of small shops and artists studios behind and between pre-existing buildings. There are about 80 retail units and it looks like it's also very popular for wedding photography.

They didn't hold back on the narrow streets either. Here's a picture by mike112358 from panoramio.
9535200.jpg

Here's a map of the units from Village Square's website. I'm pretty sure the above picture is the walkway between the dark and light pink sections.
units-map.jpg

As you can see, they managed to fit a lot of stuff in there. You wouldn't have guessed there was so much in there from looking at it in google maps.

They have a bunch of pictures on their website. Similar projects could be built in many places, you just need a developer that owns a few small lots (or even a single large one). Does anyone know of similar developments elsewhere? Maybe a lifestyle center?

Anyways, I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area. I've biked along Burlington's waterfront a few times but never knew about this place.

Good article. I would like for the new waterfront developments to be an example of high densities without highrises. Or maybe only in the Port Lands. Narrow streets with Victorian or Georgian style townhomes, and buildings maxed at 5 storeys along Cherry. Street-grade transit would definitely add to the mix.

The winding lanes that lead into surprising open areas at Alexandra Park have long been among my favourite local streetscapes - along the lines suggested by this thread. That, combined with the pedestrian lanes at the Distillery, and some of the many pedestrian cut-throughs ( between Yorkville and Cumberland, say ... ) around town.

The winding lanes that lead into surprising open areas at Alexandra Park have long been among my favourite local streetscapes - along the lines suggested by this thread. That, combined with the pedestrian lanes at the Distillery, and some of the many pedestrian cut-throughs ( between Yorkville and Cumberland, say ... ) around town.

Those winding lanes at Alexandra Park (designed by Jerome Markson and winner of the OAA Award in, I believe, 1969) are decidedly out-of-fashion in current urban design circles and will soon be history:

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2011/04...w-regent-park-tchc-plans-major-revitalization

That's a pretty nice laneway, there's the Sculpture Garden there too.

I just realized Burlington has a pretty cool shopping district that looks like a medieval village...

Anyways, I'll have to check it out next time I'm in the area. I've biked along Burlington's waterfront a few times but never knew about this place.

I was there and while it's clearly not composed of historical buildings, it's pretty neat and worth the visit.

Ideally, I would love it if they did something like this but on a grander scale and with a nice square in the middle on the parking lot that's around Front and Blue Jays way. It could even incorporate a couple of condos. It would be very profitable, beautifully located in a blooming area next to King Street and an old park, and would make a fantastic addition to the Entertainment District.

Those winding lanes at Alexandra Park (designed by Jerome Markson and winner of the OAA Award in, I believe, 1969) are decidedly out-of-fashion in current urban design circles and will soon be history

Yes, the dreaded fashionable/unfashionable trap seems to have swallowed Alex Park, though it looks as if the basic plan has sorta/kinda survived.

In a way such districts exist but within private parcels of land. A mall for instance.

I just came back from London UK again. The scale of even such a large metropolis is tiny by Toronto standards. All of central London with it's famous monuments and museums, parks and palaces would fit in Toronto between St.Clair and the Lake, from High Park to the Don Valley. If your a soccer fan that's 4-6 English Premier League Teams located in an area smaller than the Old City of Toronto. In hockey terms that's like having the Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadians, with there respective arenas all playing in the given geographic area.

Back