News   May 31, 2024
 889     6 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.1K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Scanned more negatives from the same batch and behold... a Lancaster bomber :)

lancaster_1.jpg

lancaster_2.jpg

That is Coronation Park. There used to be a Spitfire there as well. I loved going down there as a kid with my brother and father. Imagine being able to clamber all over a Spitfire!!! It wasn't on a pedestal My dad would put me on his shoulders so I could stick my head into the Lancaster through a hole that shouldn't have been there. Great memories.

Last edited:
"Back on June 17 we passed an anniversary of three years for this thread - I just realized this tonite." QUOTE Mustapha.

Does this mean that we will all have to buy you shrimp cocktail or just those of whom who have been here from the

begining?

"It has been and continues to be a great source of satisfaction for me to interact with all of you here." QUOTE Mustapha.

Without "The Moose", leading our way, we would all be lost. (and bored) Thank You!

"My warmest regards to you all." QUOTE Mustapha.

Please Sire, it's the summer; but we understand.

Regards,
J T

I'll be happy with a Loblaws frozen shrimp ring and a jar of seafood sauce. :)

That is Coronation Park. There used to be a Spitfire there as well. I loved going down there as a kid with my brother and father. Imagine being able to clamber all over a Spitfire!!! It wasn't on a pedestal My dad would put me on his shoulders so I could stick my head into the Lancaster through a hole that shouldn't have been there. Great memories.

And there was a Sherman army tank. Did you know they were nicknamed 'Ronsons', after the cigarette lighters, for their propensity to light up, when hit by enemy shells?

"I'll be happy with a Loblaws frozen shrimp ring and a jar of seafood sauce." QUOTE Mustapha.

Consider it a DONE DEAL!

Regards,
J T

And there was a Sherman army tank. Did you know they were nicknamed 'Ronsons', after the cigarette lighters, for their propensity to light up, when hit by enemy shells?

tank.jpg

:)

I also recall a pointy, triangular monument of some sort that was capped with a green-ish glass pyramid. I think that is long gone as well.

July 8 addition.

Then. "Oct 15, 1934. NW corner, Kenilworth and Queen." I remember handlebar bike baskets. If you loaded them up as I did, with newspapers, the bike only wanted to go straight. :) Then they invented saddlebags. Too late, by then I had acquired with my newspaper route money that beloved totem of every Toronto lad, namely an auto-mo-beel. And thence I looked down upon the inferiors who pedaled their transportation. :)

77.jpg

Now. June 2011. Nice part of town, the Beaches.. :) I'm gonna miss Licks, which is right behind me here.

78.jpg

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Even then I was an airplane enthusiast first. Ya, they were notorious. They really were inferior to most of the modern German tanks but they persevered due in great part to the superiority in numbers and the fact that they were built to be relatively easily repaired as compared to the German tanks that were incredibly intricate but a nightmare to repair.

Ah, I'd forgotten about that. Even then I was an airplane enthusiast first. Ya, they were notorious. They really were inferior to most of the modern German tanks but they persevered due in great part to the superiority in numbers and the fact that they were built to be relatively easily repaired as compared to the German tanks that were incredibly intricate but a nightmare to repair.

German Tiger Tank crew manual in cartoon booklet format:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29619521/Tigerfibel-German-Tiger-Tank-Manual#outer_page_3

My husband spent last Saturday crawling around in a restored Sherman here: http://www.ontrmuseum.ca/hvs.htm . They have a nice little collection of historic tanks, including a Centurion tank that's under restoration and that has been featured on one of those History Channel or Discovery channel or Military channel shows.

My husband spent last Saturday crawling around in a restored Sherman here: http://www.ontrmuseum.ca/hvs.htm . They have a nice little collection of historic tanks, including a Centurion tank that's under restoration and that has been featured on one of those History Channel or Discovery channel or Military channel shows.

My son volunteers there! If your hubby is a regular he probably knows him. Yes they ran the Sherman last weekend at tank day, didn't they?
A short video of one of the swimming APC's.

My son volunteers there! If your hubby is a regular he probably knows him. Yes they ran the Sherman last weekend at tank day, didn't they?
A short video of one of the swimming APC's.

Amazing what some guys are 'into'.

Here is a WWII compass that that fell into my hands years ago. It came out of a vehicle or tank, not sure. The dial is submerged in some kind of liquid. Still works. As you can see, I am facing NNW here.

CSC_0015.jpg

March 27 addition.

Then: Queen and McLean looking E. October 21 1932.

queenandmcleanlookinge.jpg

Now: December 2009.

DSCF1394-1.jpg

Another of my childhood corners!
We lived in the Georgian Arms, on the south west corner. The south east corner was service station that went from "in use" to those 70's townhouses in the now shot while I lived there. My bedroom window overlooked the construction site. I spent quite few hours sitting in the open, third story window (sash double hungs with no screen, you sit in the frame with the window up)listening to CFTR and CHUM, (on a transistor radio) watching the demolition of the service station. The north west corner was a variety store, cold pop and chocolate bars. East on Queen was Myers IDA pharmacy, a women there knew me from a previous street and used to give me free treats. East again to the Keg variety, I remember it as kind of a "hippie" hangout. It had the best Tigre stripe ice cream cones! Near the Keg was the ever so intriquing and exotic British Leyeland dealer. Next door to the apartments was an AMC dealer, but those MG's were much bigger eye candy for young boy.
I bought a fifteen dollar bike from the superintendant of the building on the north side of Queen, next to the park. I put more miles on that bike. My favourite spot to ride to was a tree, next to the snackbar at Balmy beach. The one next to the canoe club. The other great place to ride was the laneway that stretched from here all the way to Woodbine south of the streetscape. Of course all the Nature Trails and parks were great too. The big foot bridge across the park just north of here was perfect for flying paper airplanes off of. I had a friend named Leslie who lived in the same building, knew her for six months before I found out she was a girl. All in all good times in the early seventies at this intersection!

Last edited:

Back