2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 443     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Heya bessmarvin,

Welcome.

I'm currently looking for Ports of Call memorabilia - menus, matchbooks, etc. No images on the internet of this place. Almost as if it never existed. If anyone here has anything, could they take a pic or scan and and post it?

I have a brass rail from one of the bars at the Ports of Call. Does that count?

Good point. It would be intersting to see a drawing overlaying the curbs and sidewalks of pre-widened Bloor to our current "narrowed" Bloor and see how they compare.

adma, thecharioteer,

Hasn't the Stollerys clothing store on the SW corner of Bloor and Yonge been there since 1905 or something? Or is the present Stollerys store a second building at that location?

adma, thecharioteer,

Hasn't the Stollerys clothing store on the SW corner of Bloor and Yonge been there since 1905 or something? Or is the present Stollerys store a second building at that location?

I think that the current building was built sometime between 1923 and 1929. The first pic below shows the corner in 1923:

blooryonge1923.jpg

1929:

blooryonge1929.jpg

Wow, Yonge is pretty quiet for a Monday. I wonder what time the picture was taken? I can't see any shadows to give me a clue.

If you notice, the "new" Stollery's was narrower than the "old" Stollery's--blame the Bloor widening for that.

Interesting how the former Stollery's comes across as a conservative Toronto spin on what Louis Sullivan, Purcell & Elmslie, etc was doing in the American Midwest at the time...

Twelve years earlier in 1912, this pic was taken when Bloor was still primarily residential. The iron fence in front of the first house is in both pics, but by 1924 a commercial addition has been added to the front:

bloor1912.jpg

I know I'm replying to these pictures out of order, thecharioteer, forgive me, but night time in 1910s Toronto must have been dark indeed - those streetlights are few and far between.

July 12 Then and Now.

Then. Canary Restaurant. I can't remember where I got this picture but the Canary Restaurant was here from the 1960s until 2007.

83.jpg

May 2011. I hope it re-opens someday.

84.jpg

Last edited:
Drove by here today--what happened with the Canary? I couldn't believe my eyes. Have they saved the signs to be replaced when the redevelopment of the area is finished? Where will low-budget American movies benefitting from Canadian tax breaks film the external shots of an old-school diner in the meantime?

I just moved back to Canada after 15 years, and going through this thread reminds me of the Toronto I knew--sad to say many of the 'old' shots seem to me the present day views, till I drive by the location. Especially the photos of the Yonge and Lawrence area then and now brought back many memories, as this was where I grew up.

Living in England we could flick past a movie on TV and identify within 5 seconds that it was shot in Toronto--something about the architecture, whether commercial or residential. And a shot of the Canary restaurant always helped, too.

July 12 Then and Now.

Then. Canary Restaurant. I can't remember where I got this picture but the Canary Restaurant was here from the 1960s until 2007.

83.jpg

May 2011. I hope it re-opens someday.

84.jpg

Back