News   May 23, 2024
 154     0 
News   May 22, 2024
 916     1 
News   May 22, 2024
 720     1 

More CCTV Cameras in the Downtown Core?

Why not,... hey if they are told to leave and diss the police, then they are in the wrong, period...

Is this a joke?

1. The police can't tell people "to leave" without good reason
2. Trespassing was not an issue in any of the arrests
3. Dissing a police officer is not a crime
4. No police officers were dissed in any of the arrests

Ironically, in England, the police have harassing and arresting lots of photographers for no reason as well. UK police use more cameras, but at the same time they try to restrict on civilians use of cameras.

Interesting links doady. Actually Police in Canada have also been arresting people for taking pictures. Remember the IT expert from Forest Hill who was arrested before the G20? His big crime was taking video of the G20 convention centre and uploading them to You tube. He has been denied many requests for bail and the courts have imposed a complete publication ban on all proceedings. Months later he still remains in jail , in essence he is being kept a political prisoner for taking video that any tourist could have taken around the convention centre in the days leading up to the G20.

Unfortunately Canada takes after the UK more than it does the United States when it comes to the issue of civil liberties. I don't think Americans would stand for the same kind of abuses that our police forces subjected us to during the G20. Americans are much more attuned to the growing threat of a police state. It is one of the reasons why they hold so dear the RIGHT to bear arms. They understand that the ONLY true defense against tyranny is a HEAVILY armed citizen militia.

I don't have a problem with police surveillance cameras in public spaces but I believe private citizens should also be FREE to video record cops or anyone else for that matter, in public.

Uh, instead of leaving policing up to technology what don't the police, um I don't know, get out of their vehicles, patrol neighborhoods and get to know the people in those neighborhoods while making their presence more visible.

Close circuit cameras are a slippery slope. Yes they are put there with the promise of using them to catch criminals AFTER the fact but they are far too open to abuses and as we've seen in probably the past 10 years, our privacy rights have become increasingly under attack. It always surprises me when people support these sorts of initiatives. And it frightens me too. I get the impression a majority of Canadians would accept a police state for just that little bit more security or idea of security that such a state would offer and it's sad.

Is this a joke?

1. The police can't tell people "to leave" without good reason
2. Trespassing was not an issue in any of the arrests
3. Dissing a police officer is not a crime
4. No police officers were dissed in any of the arrests

What do you mean by, without a good reason, police cars were being burnt, windows were being smashed, looters were mixing in with the regular crowd...it was getting out of control which i think was a good reason to get people to leave that area. By people not leaving when they were warned to disperse by police officers, they were breaking the law...just like you walking down the street and ignoring an officer that tells you to stop even if you havent done anything.

What do you mean by, without a good reason, police cars were being burnt, windows were being smashed, looters were mixing in with the regular crowd...it was getting out of control which i think was a good reason to get people to leave that area. By people not leaving when they were warned to disperse by police officers, they were breaking the law...just like you walking down the street and ignoring an officer that tells you to stop even if you havent done anything.

They weren't breaking the "law" because there isn't a law that says people can't assemble freely because a police officer says so. There are laws against looting, damaging property etc. but in that case they should be arresting people who are committing these acts, not people walking around downtown. There also isn't a law that says you need to stop walking down the street when a police officer tells you to stop because he better have a really good reason for telling you to stop otherwise you could be a few thousand dollars richer courtesy of taxpayers.

Your talking about the G20, but this is all in responses to Sodapop's post about the English videos. There was no dissing of police in the videos, let alone police cars being burnt.

Kate Milberry of the Toronto Media Coop says The G20 CCTV cameras have *NOT* been taken down!

Yes of course those CCTV cameras were supposed to be a temporary installation... Wendy Drummond stated that they would be taken down after the event as per this May 14th article in TheStar - Toronto Streets Get More Surveillance Cameras for G20

In her very well researched blog post, Kate Milberry writes, "Although Toronto Police announced the 71 CCTV cameras acquired for the G20 would be removed upon “the completion of the event, when there’s no longer an issue of security,” research has shown that mega-events such as the Olympics and global summits typically leave a security legacy. Equipment purchased and installed on an ostensibly temporary basis often become incorporated into the permanent infrastructure, altering in subtle and obvious ways the physical and psychological terrain of the city."

Is this true? Has our crafty but entirely untrustworthy police chief Bill Blair pulled the wool over Toronto's eyes again?

http://toronto.mediacoop.ca/blog/katemilberry/5413

Last edited:
Absolutely not. There should be less cameras, not more.

Bill Blair should be stepping down anyway. He has lied to the people he's supposed to be protecting.

A big black SUV with a Rob Ford logo emblazoned on the side, parked in front of City Hall. Talk about a big "F-you" to all those square framed, latte sipping progressives.

Doug should have kept it idle just to really rile them up :p

On a serious note, you got to love the Lincoln Navy. $76,504 (MSRP) of kick-ass, against the man, my way or the highway, car of the everyday Torontonian. That beast sucks more gravy yearly than Sandra Bussin's entire four-term office budget.

Last edited:
Maybe he should use the podium ramp as Viljo Revell intended, declare himself a "dignitary", and drive up it. So he may smash up a bit of the green roof landscaping. Big deal

On a serious note, you got to love the Lincoln Navy. $76,504 (MSRP) of kick-ass, against the man, my way or the highway, car of the everyday Torontonian. That beast sucks more gravy yearly than Sandra Bussin's entire four-term office budget.

Too bad liberals struggle to get that point across to the electorate. They also need some way to reach working class voters, which Rob Ford did successfully.

Also, to pay that much for a rebadged Ford Expedition body-on-frame SUV is just asinine.

Back