News   May 02, 2024
 517     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 193     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 254     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

ROSS THE MOVER, owned by Sully Sullivan (of Sully's Gym fame) was later bought by Howard's father; Howard of the former THE WAREHOUSE GRILL, n/w corner of Fraser Ave + Liberty St.

SULLY'S GYM, for many years was at 53 Fraser Ave, s/e corner, Fraser + Liberty, late of Ossington Ave. SULLY'S motto: "It's better to build boys, than mend men".

Ain't adverts wonderful!

Regards,
J T

Although there is no date on this map, I think it is at least from the early 50's. I've found similar looking maps of Ottawa and Winnipeg online and they date from the mid-40s. Sorry about the wrinkles but it's been folded up for a few decades.

croydon_toronto_cover_web.jpg

esplenade_web.jpg

The map still shows Duke and Duchess Streets. Were they still there in 1950?

On a related note, there is an interesting collection of maps and pictures here.
Don Valley Historical Mapping Project

My thanks to Anna for that excellent link to exceptional maps of Toronto.
I downloaded this detail of Toronto's east end (1902).
It interests me because the early name of Donlands Ave. is shown to be Leslie St.
And "X" marks the spot of my birthplace on Donlands! - see thumbnail.
Of course, that was after the developed of the suburb of East York.

Attachments

• Map Toronto - east end 1902 featuring Don Mills Rd area.jpg
    Map Toronto - east end 1902 featuring Don Mills Rd area.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
bkeith,

Let me ask my dad. I'll get back to you in about 3 weeks; he's with a group tour in China and he's not an email user. Probably his last trip; at his age...

Sounds good. A while ago I did some research on a few of the buildings in Whitby, and the name Quan is ringing a bell.

Great comparisons, thedeepend. Thank you. Collier is to me is an underappreciated street; lots of traffic getting to and from Yonge and Rosedale Valley Road and hardly any pedestrians.

Oct 4 addition.

Back in June the UT weekly "Heritage" article was about the long gone Victoria and Tivoli theatres on Richmond street east.

http://urbantoronto.ca/content.php?699-Heritage-Toronto-Tuesday-Shea-s-Victoria-Theatre

Today I have some Then pictures of the Tivoli courtesy of the historically minded owners of the Rainbow Cinemas on Front street east.

These Then pictures were hanging on the walls inside and I 'took a picture of a picture" with the small camera that is always in my pocket for documenting things.

DSCF3199.jpg

DSCF3201.jpg

DSCF3200.jpg

DSCF3203.jpg

DSCF3202.jpg

DSCF3211.jpg

oct 5 addition.

Then. Brown School. Avenue Rd just S of St. Clair.

f1244_it3162.jpg

Now. August 2010. The original school was set farther back...

DSC_0549.jpg

Mustapha: Thanks for the Tivoli pics. A very dim memory of mine remembers that the theatre was unusual in that one entered at the top level and descended into the theatre (but I may be wrong). I think I saw West Side Story there.

Two other pics, which if one dates them from the movies on the marquees are from 1921 and 1948 respectively:

allentheatre1919.jpg

tivoli.jpg

Book with many sketches of the 'Flatiron'

Flatironaeriallookingeast.jpg

Viewers of this site have always been intrigued by our 'Flatiron' building. There's a wonderful book I'd like to suggest.
In a series of delightful sketches, Johnny Wales has illustrated the many changes that took place on this famous Toronto site. The historic location is depicted in 1500, 1818, 1840, 1870, 1900, 1930, 1957 and 1990.

sketchesofFlatiron.jpg

The Toronto Story is an exceptional account of the history of Toronto and covers much, much more than just our favorite building. See if you can find a copy of the book.
You may also want to look at the artist's web site: http://web.mac.com/johnnywales

Mustapha: Thanks for the Tivoli pics. A very dim memory of mine remembers that the theatre was unusual in that one entered at the top level and descended into the theatre (but I may be wrong). I think I saw West Side Story there.

Two other pics, which if one dates them from the movies on the marquees are from 1921 and 1948 respectively:

allentheatre1919.jpg

tivoli.jpg

i wonder what year the Tivoli was demolished?

Flatironaeriallookingeast.jpg

Viewers of this site have always been intrigued by our 'Flatiron' building. There's a wonderful book I'd like to suggest.
In a series of delightful sketches, Johnny Wales has illustrated the many changes that took place on this famous Toronto site. The historic location is depicted in 1500, 1818, 1840, 1870, 1900, 1930, 1957 and 1990.

sketchesofFlatiron.jpg

The Toronto Story is an exceptional account of the history of Toronto and covers much, much more than just our favorite building. See if you can find a copy of the book.
You may also want to look at the artist's web site: http://web.mac.com/johnnywales

i'm gong to look this up... it's also interesting how you can see the slope of the old waters edge south from Front street even today.

Last edited:

Back