News   May 10, 2024
 2K     2 
News   May 10, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 

Church-Wellesley Village

I don't think I've ever been to Malvern. Perhaps if, instead of buying a spanking new CMHC-esque house in Bramalea in 1973, my parents had looked east I might have been able to boast that I lived there.

I do recall that once, when I suggested that the City invest more money in Malvern rather than focusing so much attention on the rich Bloor-Yorkville BIA and their expensive streetscape improvements, someone here responded that Malvern should get their own BIA if they wanted to improve their lives rather than relying on the city.

Scarborough real estate is cheaper than other parts of the city, but very few houses over 500,000 in malvern is incorrect. A builder at Neilson and Finch is putting a new housing development with prices starting in the high 400,000's.

North of Finch. Malvern's northernmost boundary is Finch, so technically that part that you're referring to is not Malvern.

Meh, it's all Malvern. I wonder how much Mattamy's McAsphalt homes are going for.

North of 400 is pretty accurate...

Either way, it's pretty had to get a McMansion for less than 400k these days.....oh what's a suburbanite to do.....

There looked like there was gonna be some hope with a European style townhouse development at Markham and Sheppard. But sadly, it didn't catch on much from there.....

Track and Field Athletics
(400m track + paved runway for running long jump / triple jump)
Lester B. Pearson Collegiate Institute

Swimming / Diving / Water Polo
Lester B. Pearson Collegiate Institute Pool

Tennis
McLevin Tennis Club - 3 courts
Malvern Rec Center - 3 courts

Baseball / Softball
Neilson Park - 1 major diamond (dirt infield, enclosed home plate area, bleachers, 400ft to center field walled outfield) + secondary field
Malvern Rec Center - 1 diamond

Basketball
outdoor Nike Courts at Mother Teresa Catholic High School + indoor courts at Pearson CI and Mother Teresa

Soccer
McLevin near the tennis courts - 2 large pitches with maintained grass and night illumination

Table Tennis / Badminton
Chinese Cultural Centre - Gymnasium with badminton floor markings

Beach Volleyball
Malvern Rec Centre - 1 sand court

Boxing / Fencing / Gymnastics / Handball / Judo / Taekwondo / Trampoline / Weight Lifting / Wrestling
School gymnasiums - dozens in the area + malvern rec centre gymnasium
outdoor Ball Hockey court at malvern rec could be used for Handball

Archery / Shooting
Any park or large greenspace

Cycling - Road

Cycling - Mountain
Rouge Valley Park

Equestrian
Large greenspace - Neilson Park

Field Hockey
Any school soccer field

Only the regatta events and cycling track are left out.

Other facilities in the area include:

2 ice rinks at Malvern Rec Centre
200m track at Mother Tereasa Catholic High School
Artificial turf mini soccer pitch at Mother Tereasa Catholic High School

Malvern 2020 Summer Games

^ Lol, not one of those facilities is suitable for Olympic competition. Even the Rouge Park for mountain biking might be out since a large trail would have to be cut through the forest.

obivously not for olympic competition... the point im making is that we have a lot of facilities available for the community.

I admit to have involved myself in many Malvern-joke sessions. Actually, I've never been there.

dont focus on the parks and gyms part... those were just fillers.

Malvern has some top notch facilities though.

The Malvern Rec Centre boasts a huge variety of playing surfaces. scarbarikhatru can you tell me of any other city facility with as many different sports surfaces?
- 3 tennis courts with night illumination
- 1 beach sand volleyball court
- 1 ball hockey court with 2 permanent nets and markings + lights
- 1 netball court with markings + lights and bleachers
- 1 baseball field + lights
- 1 soccer field
- 2 ice hockey rinks
- 1 large gymnasium

The new Nike sports complex right next door adds even more (not on google maps... too new)

- 200m running track
- 6 basketball nets, with markings for full court
- artificial turf soccer field with 2 permanent "netted" goals

Lester B Pearson CI - hosts the local elementary school track meets
- 400m track (lots of schools have this, but the point is the combination of all this public sports infrastructure in a small area is what makes it special)
- paved running track with sand pits on both ends for jumping events
- swimming pool
- soccer/football field with field goal posts

McLevin Community Park
- 3 tennis courts with clean markings + lights
- 2 large soccer pitches + lights and bleachers

Neilson Park
- 1 large, regulation size baseball field with dirt infield, mound, foul poles, bleachers and lights
- 1 smaller field with lights and bleachers

Not everywhere has these kind of playing fields with the lights especially. Theres a ton of leagues that use these facilities for games and tournaments.

And again... the point being everything is so close together (walking distance) and publicly available.

This is leaving out Rosebank Park with 4 basketball nets + markings and the Chinese Cultural Centre gymnasium which has the markings for badminton.

Google map showing all the above

Back