Toronto Fly Condos | ?m | 24s | Empire | Graziani + Corazza

Actually, it reminds me of Uno Prii's Annex designs: conservative commie blocks at heart, with "flair" added via wacky balconies.

And I had that in mind re my earlier Miami Beach invocation, i.e. a lot of those old knocks on Prii tended to be based upon his supposedly "Miami Beach" aesthetic. Miami Beach as a byword for wretched excess, Lapidus = bad, et al.

Though when Graz+Corr go "picturesque" like this, it's more akin to Arquitectonica's more recent version of Miami Beachy wretched excess

180px-WestinTimesSquare.jpg

Hmmm... it's interesting but I don't like it. Market Wharf is cute, but this is a bit hard on the eyes.

I think that it will be a nice fit in the area next to the Element condo and across from the Apex/Matrix condos.Im just wondering what the plans are for the north-east and maybe the north-west corners of Front and Spadina.
A couple of Supertalls would look great there.With City Place and the Signature tower just south it would add a nice cluster of tall buildings to the western skyline.

I highly doubt a 'supertall' would be allowed, considering the City wants a tapered skyline, with buildings getting shorter west of the core, hence the reason 300 Front was reduced in height. Who knows when the NE corner will be developed, but the sooner the better. The Toyota dealership will probably get redeveloped around the time the Globe site does since I believe it's the same property.

I'd much rather see something shorter on the NE corner and Toyota lot, like 10-12 storeys max. Anything taller would look stupid next to the heritage buildings on Spadina.

I'd much rather see something shorter on the NE corner and Toyota lot, like 10-12 storeys max. Anything taller would look stupid next to the heritage buildings on Spadina.

Future hi-rise development in that block would probably include the heritage building.
Like they say, Money talks Bullshit walks.

Well, there won't be any future high-rise development at that corner anyway because of Clarence Square, so that's that.

I'm saying that no high rises will be built in the vicinity of Clarence Square park due to shadowing issues.

Look at the current pic of the day and tell me if you think a high rise would fit this neighbourhood just fine and dandy.

They certainly get points for trying something new, but I don't care for the balcony proportions.

In the end I agree with those who are not in favour of its current design. The colour is offputting, the irregular balconies seems awkward, particularly when they are juxtaposed with the clean, stright balconies on the other side, and the irregular glass edge seems kind of gimmicky. I will remain agnostic until it is built, and see what develops, but I have a not-so-good feeling about this one.

It is certainly different, though.

just found out that the flat facade (right portion of rendering) represents the south elevation fronting onto Front Street, which means FLY's funky balconies would be facing the existing parking lot to the west (likely another condo building in the future) and this L-shaped building will be oriented the same way as Element to the east... judging from the rendering it appears that they may introduce a new north-south street along the western perimeter of the site, which may connect to Clarence Square someday

There is an old plan at the City to connect Wellington to Front street diagonally across this block, roughly following the old rail lines. I have no idea how likely it is, but hopefully it is dead.

As for Fly, you're right, the rendering shows the crazy ass balconies facing west.

Fly.jpg

The thick glass on the side of the buiding with it's uneven edges is very unique... and the windows are actually indented... not flush. There is also other, smaller, accents like the canopy above the front entrance... It will be a nice building if it can stay true to the rendering

Beyond the western facade, the rest of the design is like any glass/precast/ steel building.
I think the developer/architects were trying to allude to japanese origami.

Just read this on their website:
Ascending 24 floors, from a series of setbacks, the building complements, rather than overwhelms, nearby Clarence Square ...

Fly at 352 Front Street West pales in height in comparison to 300 Front which is pretty much next door.
I'm not complaining though ... it works for the location.

though FLY lacks in height when compared to 300, its location is by far outstanding IMO (at least its not next to a transformer)

Back