Toronto Fly Condos | ?m | 24s | Empire | Graziani + Corazza

It now seems like all the developers in Toronto are falling all over themselves to come up with 'interesting/cutting edge' designs. Wow. Has the pendulum swung from a few years ago, when any old glass box would do. Even the conservative Tridel developer is upping the ante. Interesting times.

It now seems like all the developers in Toronto are falling all over themselves to come up with 'interesting/cutting edge' designs. Wow. Has the pendulum swung from a few years ago, when any old glass box would do. Even the conservative Tridel developer is upping the ante. Interesting times.

Agreed. Finally! Like one or two, or hate them all, we are finally getting "interesting".
Do I sense a market that is tightening up a tad?
You can't beat good old fashioned competition to improve quality, no matter what you sell.

Though I do get a whiff of the cheese here, sort of like what's been derided as "Miami Beach architecture" here and there over the years...

Hey, it's G&C.

I'd gladly take the pin to the bubble to prevent this turd from being built. Not sure when "different" became the pre-requisite for good. Damn Bregman, Clewes and Wallman neo-modernism? The mixed-use Bloor/Dundas tower is certainly different

wow... very interesting design... looks amazing!

i wonder how well it will turn out compared to the render though...

If it can stay true to the colours, porportions and dimensions of the sketch, it will be an interesting building... though I feel the uneven/broken blaconies on the side will become boring rather quickly
I thought it would have been a taller building... what are the prices like?

looks to me like this is just a normal glass box with *one* interesting feature, being the balconys.

The angle they give us with the render makes it seem much more outstanding then it will be.

Something tells me this will look sort of like Neo, but with weird balconys on the side.

Lets hope for the best.

IT is a box! Minus the wrapped glazing and odd balconies (which I am not to sure I am keen on just yet) this is essentially just a box. Now, it is a different take on how to wrap a box..if you want to argue that, I am willing to listen.

p5

I will second p5connex ... looking beyond the 'featured' balcony arrangements (being the focus of the rendering), there isn't a lot of excitment in the remainder of the building with linear balconies and flushed window-walls

Fly.jpg

looking beyond the 'featured' balcony arrangements (being the focus of the rendering), there isn't a lot of excitment in the remainder of the building with linear balconies and flushed window-walls

The thick glass on the side of the buiding with it's uneven edges is very unique... and the windows are actually indented... not flush. There is also other, smaller, accents like the canopy above the front entrance... It will be a nice building if it can stay true to the rendering

It's not a design that one would expect to get consensus on. This building is obviously designed to be provocative - 3D can't even use the word 'interesting' without sneering and insulting anyone who disagrees with his take on it - but I don't think Fly is meant to look beautiful anyway. Fly is meant to look different, and edgy, and there will be a good number of people who won't appreciate this particular edge. (Why denigrate the whole forum though? It's not going to make anyone change their minds about this building.)

I seriously wonder what chance Fly has of getting built still looking anything like this rendering.

I have to say, those balconies look like absolute crap. It looks like G+C tried to summon Liebeskind and failed miserably. It resembles a stick of rock candy that you'd get from the ROM or Science Centre gift shop (not in a good way), or a cheesy indoor rock climbing wall. If they toned down the balconies and kept the angular glass frame wall, it would be a perfectly fine little modernist box, but I'd still be concerned about that square tile cladding which could easily make it look right at home in a low-rise business park in Mississauga.

I love the (way more) edgy designs of some of the proposals in the Entertainment District, but this is really cheesy.

I will give them points for trying but ultimately, I am not sure they succeeded. These attempts at something different, like wavy balconies or even more so these balconies, come off as attempts to compensate for a lack of real design that is distinquishing. And I am not sure they will stand the test of time (the ultimate test).

But again, we are getting something a little different and for that, I am thankful.

Back